IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

Objective: stable 2Ch 192/24 into poly-sinc-ext3/AMSDM7EC 512+fs @ 1024x48

From my previous 'quick summary' post let me get a more scientific and share the settings for HQplayer/BIOS/Software that allow me stable 7EC 512+fs@1024x48 with ´ext3´ - no CUDA (i dont have GPU...)

HQPlayer Embedded

latest version hqplayerd_4.32.4-141avx2_amd64.deb

CF2B5F4A-5D8D-4EA8-A5D2-FBC2A81741B6.thumb.jpeg.19dbfa5d868b95447818d4377f6831e1.jpeg

Theres's nothing particular special in this configuration. My DAC supports x48 DSD rates and I try to benefit from automated rate family selection. Such as 44,1 family will get to 1024 sharp and 48 family will get to 1024x48 rate.

Important to mention

- that I do not run a convolution or any matrix processing in this settings.

- however I was using speakers to set distance, but I noticed that this setting is causing drop outs at @1024 rates.

Software OS

As already mentioned it is Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS with all updates to-date

Important to mention

- that kernels seem to introduce certain performance differences

- and for the purpose of achieving our objective today I am using stock low latency kernel

For system monitoring I use HTOP and SENSORS commands. For some reason i7z utility is not working for me with low latency kernel...

BIOS

first of all I have immediattely patched my MB with latest available BIOS, it was one of the keys for proper memory performance.

secondly, very important, @El Guapo helped me with memory compatibility issue - it turned out that my MB can support only one or two (and not four!!!!) memory sticks for the Kingston Fury DDR5 6000 model I have bought. I had to remove two installed memory sticks , leaving only one per each channel. This is related to maximum memory voltages MB can deliver, and will influence the memory OC capacity in XMP profile.

For the purpouse of achieving our 1024x48 objective I use very basic overclocking, leaving million of advanced parameters at their default. Beside setting Extreme Memory Profile XMP 1 - which gives me access to 6000MHz there are three settings I have tweaked:

- P-Core Ratio (all): 52x

- Ring Ratio: 43x

- Voltage (auto): 1.25

Fine tuning these parameters takes really a lot of time and is increadibly annoyng. For example P-Cores at 51x and Ring Ratio 42x gives you absolutelly stable @512x48, but for @1024x48 hick-up/shatter happens only around on 5th minute or later, so it is necessary to have a lengthy listen runs.

Shatter/Restart/Ajust/Listen * 1000 times....

Voltage is also crazy with above ratios - 1.2 shatters, 1.3 shatters, 1.26 shatters

Aaaaaarrrrrrrgh !!!!

I have also disabled Intel Virtualisation Tech and onboard audio,  but don't think it's relevant...

Result

above settings give me stable ext3 with 7EC 512+fs @1024x48. Temperatures on P-Cores hit 90s, but IMHO not critical as a) this is not a constant load b) all CPU temperature controls are enabled, so I dont see a risk here.

54E5A498-01FF-41E6-9EAD-5695EE41917B.thumb.jpeg.7c11439c9f434374043deaec666daaf5.jpeg

I can post my BIOS settings screenshots here, if neede, or contact me in PM, but these are certainly for my model of MB only.

9 hours ago, MJ1409 said:

thanks @El Guapo

1. Ring ratio is 43

2. Tried with multi core 1 & auto (with combinations of buffer time) no difference still have dropouts

3. I initially Tried with lts 5.15… then loaded Jussi’s kernel. tbh not sure how to rollback to previous kernel now? 
4. I have not selected this option… it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

5. Tried combinations of 10, 100, 250…. But no change!

edit: also to eliminate any networking issues, I directly connected the hqp machine to my dac using ALSA backend…. Still have the dropouts.

I can see yours is 12900KS, meaning possible tiny bit more headroom in OC settings...

And also you mentioned your setting - all P-Cores @ 53x

For this you may also try add all all E-Cores from "Auto" to "40x" for starters, but it also can go to 41x and 42x max.

Overall when playing with "easy" OC settings you have incredibly tightly connected chain:

"P-Cores Ratio" - "E-Cores Ratio" - "Ring Ratio" - "cVoltage"

And the dependency is that when you push Ratios higher you need more voltage to get right frequencies and with more voltage you get... well - heat. So there are more parameters at play, but really in "easy" OC approach most should work at default. 

1. Ring ratio is 43

I've been playing with 42x, 43x, 44x depending on other settings

2. Tried with multi core 1 & auto (with combinations of buffer time) no difference still have dropouts

multicore="1" - absolutely ! 

and don't forget to restart hqplayerd to make sure settings take effect! I often fall into this "trap", change file, but no service restart...

3. I initially Tried with lts 5.15… then loaded Jussi’s kernel. tbh not sure how to rollback to previous kernel now? 

Kernel is really tricky subject here

- I have just concluded the testing with stock low latency kernel (my post above). Let me be very honest - even though I celebrate stable "ext3" with 7EC @ 1024x48 there are still hick-ups, but is is like 2 or 3 shatters in 1,5h non stop 192/24 playback. So, I do not see a serious concern here for "easy overclocking". And again - I push CPU only, I have no GPU. You must have waaaaaay more headroom for ext3 as quite a load from filter will be taken by GPU. 

- second test for ext3/7EC 512fe/1024x48 I have tried with all the same BIOS settings with Jussi's custom kernel. All went extremely well and fantastically smooth. But system crashed in about 30 min's! Alas :(

- frankly speaking ext3 is not my go-to filter for Nx (although it sounds quite nice). While I type, I listen to Jussi's kernel with "gauss-xla"@1024x48 with 7EC 512fs. So far, so good, it's been about 40 mins of play back - smooth as silk.

4. I have not selected this option… it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

It does make a difference to keep it "off"

5. Tried combinations of 10, 100, 250…. But no change!

It is sort of mandatory default to keep it higher and tweak with other parameters. But once again, let's be honest, I don't see the effect changes either, I suppose my networking chain is OK....

3 hours ago, MJ1409 said:

After trying many permutations and combinations or p-core, e-core, ring, volt.... even tried just isolating the two cores @ 56 each and started to hit thermal throttling. Eventually settled for all p-core @54, ring @44, e-cores off

What is interesting below are the screen shots of two scenarios both for ASDM7ECv2

- 44.1/16: plays no issues

- 96/24: starts to randomly stutter.

What is interesting is that from a core usage perspective, there is virtually no difference between the two.

Might have to see if I can get a better cooling solution or just wait for the 13000 :)

Dont forget about HQPlayer settings permutations! Hahahaha

In your 7ECv2@1024 experiments when you go with 48 group (96/192) -> have a try (in case you have not done yet) to oversample all into SDM@1024 sharp - that is 45,1MHz. If you are successful with 44,1 already, it may be interesting...

image.thumb.png.31fff04747f91cdf60fa62fa0679c07c.png

On your comments re CPU utilisation - amazing, isn't it? But for modulator's there is no other way than CPU core performance it seems.

In my tests with 7ECv2@1024 i can get "lengthy" stable sessions with 192/24 source (no drop outs) of up to 30 min before system crashes completely with kernel panic. My cooling solution is huge Noctua tower cooler, it's amazingly potent, but.... but.... but may be these are exactly 1,2,3C that I miss for stablility.

On the other hand getting sooooo close to 7ECv2@1024 I also have a lot of hopes in 13900K/KS - let's see. 

On 7/19/2022 at 3:14 PM, MJ1409 said:

thanks IgorSki that worked….. was able to get to 192/24 @ 7ECv2@1024…. A

OMG!!! Is this the first report of sustainable 192/24 @ 7ECv2@1024 ??

What was your filter choice ? Although I remeber you have GPU so it helps with filter load.

Is it constantly stable playback or with rare shatters, like once per 5-10 min ?

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2022 at 8:07 PM, Miska said:

This is where GPU offload can help a lot. Since those filters are the most "GPU friendly".

poly-sinc are relatively more heavy on a GPU.

And this is where comes the biggest dilemma for this build.

Strategy 1. NO GPU. Get everything that is possible from CPU alone build.

• Pros: Cost efficient build / Energy and Cost efficient run
  • Cons: No headroom for convolution, matrix / No access to some filters at high rates (Sinc-Mx, Sinc-Ll or Nx: gauss-xla or ext3 @ DSD 1024)

Strategy 2. YES GPU - Fairly widely used and tested set up for DSD512, i'd say a winner in this domain. But IMHO a bit of unknown for DSD1024 (If I did not miss, I think I only read from @El Guapo and @MJ1409 about DSD1024 builds and 7ECv2 runs with CUDA) and I'm really wondering how far GPU could push my builds. On one hand it will most likely be lagging behind CPU (so what?), but on the another hand theoretically it should definitely take a load from heavies like XLA or EXT3 for Nx: @ SDM 1024. Which can be very interesting, actually. Looking at earlier @El Guapo tests with CUDA for 7ECv2@1024 looks like most of "Sinc-xx" filters can not do 1024 anyway. And GPU seems to increase power consumption to noticeable levels.

In this regard, I have been reading this post from @Cornell77 with huge interest. Judging GPU by "FP64 performance" seems RTX A... series kick ! And looking now at the prices around my place: new RTX A4500 is less than $1500 and new RTX A4000 is less than a $1000! Really, really tempting. But is it needed @ SDM 1024 ? Oh, my [scratching head] 

22 hours ago, luisma said:

Thank you @IgorSkifor the post, I went the same route except with my own loop 1x 360 and 1x 280 (45mm), yeah not under $1000. I'm currently in the OC process your notes could be very helpful 

Working around "cost KPI" was another fun part of the project, really felt like hunting :) I was not in particular rush to get the spare parts, I think it took me 1 -1/5 month for all parts, but in a meanwhile I have hugely benefited from a) discounts b) secondary market (like getting my tower at $35, etc...)

I still keep a watch list for one of the leading and very reasonable suppliers here. All new build would not break $1500. And I have put "KS" in the list. For the "K" it will be almost $100 cheaper. Below is the picture in swiss francs (CHF), but it is almost 1:1 with USD today.

image.thumb.png.ffc877ac16b25fea8ebf4f6c2783588e.png

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 4:09 AM, MJ1409 said:

7ECV2@1024 plays no issue….. it is 7ECV2@1024x48 that stutters with 96 or 192.

@El Guapo - set ring ratio to 46…. No change.

@Miska - I’ve set nblocks=“4” unfortunately no change….. is there a max value as such ?

I will continue to play around….. at the moment I’m using a tvb over clock method…. May be I will just change to a basic all clock to see if it makes a difference.

just finished playing with 12900KS, I choose to disable all TVB settings in BIOS. When these are ON, it really looks attractive - voltages and temps are a bit lower, but for HQP - it shutters...

as for the ring ratio, I started to get stable builds matching ring ratio with e-core ratios, and e-core ratios matter - on "auto" would always shutter. So smth like e-core "44" and ring "44" ? How far e-cores can go on 13K, x46-x48? 

25 minutes ago, Quadman said:

Lastly I thought your Ubuntu image was needed for DSD1024 playback, Igorski does not use your image and gets 1024 playback.  should I install libgmpris as @IgorSki says to in his post from Nov 3rd?

Hi @Quadman libgmpris is only needed by HQPlayer Embedded, my understanding.

As for custom kernel from @Miska - something did not fly in my experiments with 12900KS when using jl+ kernels. (if you remember for 12900K I was actually using cutom kernel from Jussi). However, what I have posted in my summary I call a "baseline" config - it works stably as described in a post. Now with inportant addition - 145avx2 build also works nicely if nblocks="8" is set correctly in hqp configuration file.

PS: if you look at my hardware photo you may notice I have MB battery removed for CMOS reset. Before making a post I have rebuild all firmware / software part from scratch to make sure I can replicate it. And I could :) Now as baseline with stock lowlatency is established and kicking successfully for 2 channels 7ECv2@1024, I will add cutom kernel in a mix again. I'm keen to test with the latest one.

1 hour ago, Quadman said:

I did notice you do 1024EC7v2 with no GPU, is that correct?

correct. but with no GPU at 1024 it comes with some  filter limitations ofcourse like, no Nx: gauss-xla or Nx: ext3. But Jussi gives us huge veriety of alternatives, cant complain.

1 hour ago, Quadman said:

I need to get a MSI MB, but will wait a bit and then go for 690MB with a 12900 cpu. maybe the 12900KS.

I'd say if/when you go for a change it's 12900KS at least or 13th gen. When I compare 12900K vs 12900KS experience - While "K" woukd give lengthy listening sessions it would evenually crash, it never made it to cellar. With "KS" a) easy and i consider "light" overclocking b) it already sits nicely away from litening area and stable. That is for 7ECv2@1024 ofcourse... 12900K for @512 is super fine, but... it's hard to turn back - well, you know, hahaha :)

On 11/11/2022 at 12:05 AM, Miska said:
On 11/10/2022 at 11:33 PM, Quadman said:

Yes your kernel package 5.15.77 jl+.  I thought without your kernel package DSD1024 playback (at least on Holo May dac) was not possible, 512 max.  IgorSki seems to get 1024 using ubuntu's stock low latency kernel with his holo may.

Possibly depends on what kind of USB board your May has

@Quadman to connect to MAY I use NAA in my set up, now image naa-430-x64ramfs (that I just recently found by accident) therefore no magic with kernels in my connection.

@Miska as you explained, your custom kernels would support and in some instances are a must for direct USB connection to DAC. Do (per design) they play any role with ethernet to NAA?

PS: btw, I have just updated friends' NUC 8i7 with latest custom kernel 

5.15.77-jl+-12  

the performance with this one is better than stock low latency. We have 7ECv2@256 stably with hi-res sources on classic Nx: hires-lp/mp filters. This NUC connects directly to DAC. Nice! Merci.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, lsantista said:

512 and specially 1024 EC modulator.. is it worth it? 

yes, it is. on your set up would you not hear a difference stepping from SDM @256 upto @1024 with ASDM7?? 

there must be trade offs, even if the computer is well hidden insulated.

As I said, (and afaik a sonic transporter, hqplex, etc wont fit/work with a big GPU) there must be tradeoffs as what power supply to use for such TDP hungry components, cable lenghts, etc.

You are not obliged to keep powerful HQPlayer station in your listening area. You can use NAA "architecture" and keep powerful noisy PC away and use fanless low power NAA next to DAC

to be able to play 1024 with EC you need a uber powerfull CPU/GPU

If your objective is 2 channel playback of 5EC or 7EC @1024x48, several members on this forum (including me) posted that with 12th Gen Intel GPU is not mandatory for only this task. I can even do 7ECv2@1024 with my very simple set-up.

I want to hear your impressions, such as is 1024 asdm7 vs EC2 a nice step up?

That would likely depend on your system and taste - If you appreciate 7ECv2@512 it will most likely suit you @1024. Some people like it 5ECv2 and even 5EC, nothing wrong with that...

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2023 at 12:00 PM, Miska said:

sinc-long just takes the GPU exceed the load at 100% and power cap of 200W to 195/203W so it is limited by the GPU.

PCM 44.1/16 into SDM sinc-long / ASDM7EC-super / @ SDM128 , 2 Ch with Matrix PEQ 

GPU goes up to 100% @ 300W+ (I better go and check if it smokes...)

image.thumb.png.e14529a32f6a3787799f1b1dd7503821.png

CPU is nothing... around 5% utilisation

image.thumb.png.91fc0fb5bd0b9f22e0315c6513ffe979.png

On 6/10/2023 at 12:45 PM, Miska said:
On 6/10/2023 at 11:52 AM, IgorSki said:

PCM 44.1/16 into SDM sinc-long / ASDM7EC-super / @ SDM128 , 2 Ch with Matrix PEQ 

GPU goes up to 100% @ 300W+ (I better go and check if it smokes...)

Which GPU is this? 4090? Sort of expected, but no need to worry, having the load constant 100% would be normal when used for modern gaming (which is what it is designed for anyway).

Yes, the GPU is MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Ventus 3X OC (24 GB)