IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

Assuming the % in the AudioLinux CPU monitor app is load, it appears nope one CPU is really carrying the load. Hyper-threading is enabled and CPU core isolation is disabled. Thoughts on how to even out the load to other cores and reduce disparities?

I an upsampling to DSD512/poly-sinc-lp-2s/ASDM7ECV2

C87FBCBC-A6E3-4AA7-9BD1-1A4B4511C317.jpeg

368B5CAC-CE44-4C9C-AD01-6785FAF2FD4E.jpeg

3 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

For a better monitor of CPU load you should select  9  "CPU load" in Status menu.

Please be sure that hyper-threading is enabled and that 15 "CPU SPEED to performance or fixed frequency (turbo on/off)"  in System menu is set to Performance Turbo on (intel pstate enabled)

In /home/audiolinux/.hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml be sure that your setting is multicore="1"

Also please update to last kernel linux-rt-5.15.5.22.realtime1-1 if you have a previous one (option 1 in kernel update)

It still doesn’t appear that the load is being shared across all cores. A88DDBEF-2DE8-4CED-9D8D-00F37D6ED27D.thumb.jpeg.05b5030e3239b84ed7a7836a973ba724.jpegBD1DC5AE-57EC-47E0-B8E6-2FC8C3FD0F6A.thumb.jpeg.5ac853bb5e80bd2250b90b8c07f96969.jpeg4CB3B9D8-6B61-45FF-8DFC-AA75A6C29ABF.thumb.jpeg.c2fdd44cccd54ba339234dba0d4b9d7e.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, StreamFidelity said:

Lowest latencies are always good. DDR5 makes up for the high latencies with higher clock rates and more bandwidth. But it costs more power consumption.

A GPU is not necessary. The performance of Intel's i9-12900K CPU is amazing. The efficiency and quality of HQPlayer are as well. 

A fairly heavy filter and modulator with DSD512x48 pose no problems and sounds great.

42797252ab.png

Was this the run with CPU temps in the 90-95C range? How long did you let it run for temps to stabilize?

I had to take a break from tweaking due to some family stuff but I’m looking to re-attack DSD512. 

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

In the BIOS I changed the CPU clock from static to dynamic. This flexibly adjusts the clock frequency, which lowers the temperature for the individual cores. It is the screenshot above. The CPU temperature is 76/77°C.

42993601fp.jpeg

I hope nothing serious. Family always comes first. 👍

Yeah it was serious but I’ve been keeping myself busy to get through it.

I’ll try some stuff after work today and see where I land. My initial attempts at DSD512/poly-sinc-xtr-mp/7ECv2 were unsuccessful due to thermal throttle when 3 of the CPU cores bumped up against the limit I had set at 95C so I need to figure out how to fix that and it would be nice if I could get a more even temps across the P cores. From memory, I want to say it was a 15C between the 3 highest P cores and the rest. 

How are you guys downloading different versions (4.14, 4.15, 4.16) of HQP? Im running HQPd 4.15.2 IIRC and I have P-cores 0 and 7 doing most of the heavy lifting which is causing them to max out on DSD512 with the filter and modulator I’m running. The other 6 P-cores are at 50% I believe. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, luisma said:

Hello fellow audiophiles, haven't posted (or listened to music) on a while, job duties. Anyway I'm finishing a watercooled build with a 12900K which I will possibly be OC and deliding it going waterblock straight to cpu die. Has anyone done anything like it already? it is also DDR5 and this will be OC as well. DSD512 with EC modulators of course it will be possible, I was wondering if there is a chance DSD1024 with EC mods could be? most likely not but just asking

Have you found a delidding tool for the 12900k?

4 hours ago, Quadman said:

why would you even risk that?  Buy a KS if you want higher clock speeds.  I just built a 12900K for a buddy.  Only OC I use is the XMP II profile on the asus MB.  I just tested its capabilities with HQP yesterday, with NO GPU.  I was able to run almost every filter with EC7v2 modulator and 24/192 source material to DSD512 EC7v2.  The only exceptions I was unable to run successfully was Closed-Form 16M (24/192 and 24/172.8 did not play lower res was fine), Sinc-Mx did not run with any base rate and Sinc-L which also would not run.  Sinc-LI I did not try but that also may not work as it is very demanding.  Every other filter with EC7v2 modulator worked just fine with a 24/192 source.  What more do you need?

Is this on an air cooled setup? I kind of view it as the naturally aspirated vs forced induction discussion. Sure forced induction has more potential but there’s something magical about an exotic all motor powerplant. I want to push my system to limit of what possible without any forced air. 

delid, copper IHS, conductonaut. 

I don’t need higher clock speed. Just better heat management to use the power potential I do have. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Something is happening with DDR5 in terms of latencies: G.Skill Trident Z5 & Z5 RGB: Low-Latency-Kit 64 GB DDR5-5600 CL28

With a CS latency of 10ns and a power consumption of a low 1.4 volts, it sounds promising. However, it will probably be very expensive.

I didn’t find a 5600 CL28 on Newegg.com but I did find a Ripjaw 6000 CL30 ($380) and Trident 6000 CL30 ($390). Those spec will give you a CS latency of 10ns.

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 4:10 PM, pis99 said:

Hey Oneguy, have you ever gone through the delid, copper IHS? Rockit seems to have great service. Would appreciate your feedback.

Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been busy getting ready for a move. 

I did the delid myself so I can’t comment on their delid service but their product was solid.