IGNORED

TEAC NT-505 NT505 Worth Waiting for ?

4 hours ago, Miska said:

AFAIK, the two are technically very different. AFAIK, Roon RAAT is more like my NAA, an audio endpoint...

Yes you're correct.  I was just trying to explain that from a user / feature point of view, NT-505 / NR-7CD / N-05 / N-01, similar to Lumin, provide gapless playback via OpenHome / SetNextAVTransportURI / RAAT (when that upgrade is released for Teac / Esoteric), in response to the disappointment that NT-503 did not provide network gapless playback.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 2:48 PM, Cebolla said:

The NT503's own controller software may not be a UPnP/DLNA control point and instead be a true remote control. In which case the NT503 itself would own the playlist and therefore be able fetch the files as and when needed, as opposed to being told to do so by a UPnP control point. Hence it could implement gapless, but in its own way, as the mechanism provided by standard UPnP wouldn't be relevant.

It sounds like it may work with fidata music APP (openhome), which seems to gaining popularity...but i understand that does nothing for people that want to use jriver...

looks like it will sell for around $1500 by this article

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://azayaka-tuchiiro.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/01/10/180000&prev=search

NT-505 MSRP is JPY168,000 before tax in Japan.  MSRP for different countries are often different.

Esoteric and TEAC offer their own OpenHome apps, interchangeable with Lumin app.

N-01 / N-05 / NT-505 / NR-7CD support JRiver UPnP SetNextAvTransportURI gapless operation, in addition to OpenHome gapless playback.

They are entirely different from NT-503 in terms of network features.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

It sounds like it may work with fidata music APP (openhome), which seems to gaining popularity...but i understand that does nothing for people that want to use jriver...

looks like it will sell for around $1500 by this article

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://azayaka-tuchiiro.hatenablog.com/entry/2018/01/10/180000&prev=search

I think you didn't spot that I was referring to @wgscott's older NT-503 in my reply to his post, rather than the OpenHome and standard UPnP (with gapless via SetNextAvTransportURI action) supporting new NT-505.

So, as @wkliehas hinted, the NT-503 doesn't currently support OpenHome, nor does the NT-503 do gapless in standard UPnP (ie, via the SetNextAvTransportURI UPnP action).

Thanks for the heads up on the fidata Music iOS app, though, Hopefully, there will be Android & desktop versions of it at some point.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

3 hours ago, wklie said:

They are entirely different from NT-503 in terms of network features.

Do you think it's likely that TEAC will ever provide gapless support via SetNextAvTransportURI for the NT-503 (via firmware upgrade) and/or even get it to support OpenHome like the newer models?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

It would cost them nothing to make the firmware available on their website for download, so that people like moi could just flash their own DAC. I'd even be willing to reboot into windows.  (I have to do that to update my bike's electronic shifting firmware.)

5 minutes ago, wgscott said:

It would cost them nothing to make the firmware available on their website for download, so that people like moi could just flash their own DAC. I'd even be willing to reboot into windows.  (I have to do that to update my bike's electronic shifting firmware.)

You don't think there would be any costs involved in creating new firmware?

They may or may not be working on some, but there are costs....they would also have to be a lot of people requesting it....for them to make the business decision.

+1

I own the NT-503, I'm very pleased with the sound, but I have to use it as a USB dac, because of the declared but not true upnp gapless functionality. I will be very happy to use BubbleUPnP directly with it, on my tablet, instead of using a second gear as network player.

I'm a software engineer, it would not be so hard to implement the proper upnp functionality. Unless it's an hardware limitation.

Sorry english it's not my native language.

11 hours ago, MicheleM79 said:

+1

I own the NT-503, I'm very pleased with the sound, but I have to use it as a USB dac, because of the declared but not true upnp gapless functionality. I will be very happy to use BubbleUPnP directly with it, on my tablet, instead of using a second gear as network player.

I'm a software engineer, it would not be so hard to implement the proper upnp functionality. Unless it's an hardware limitation.

Sorry english it's not my native language.

Hi Michele!

Welcome aboard!  Nice to see another female on the boards...there are so few in this heavily male dominated market. 

Your english was superb!  What is your native language?

5 hours ago, MicheleM79 said:

Oh I'm really sorry to disappoint you, it wasn't my intention! I'm a male, from Italy. My name is Michele, it's Michael in English, my friends call me Micky :)

To be honest I don't know any girl/woman interested in this field, unfortunately! Anyway, nice to meet you all, it's a really nice forum.

Oh sorry about that....and you had my juices flowing (grin).

Well I am a Michael, so you can't be too bad (grin).

Welcome all the same.

18 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Welcome all the same.

Oh well no problem at all! :)

Thanks Michael.

I noticed that NT-505 does not appear on TEAC's american and european sites yet, only jp.

Well, we'are waiting! Does anyone knows when it'll be officialy presented?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

What do you think about this delay from Teac? Every source on the web talks about December '17 or January '18 for availability, but till now it's only available in Japan (and I read about lack of availability until May).

Maybe it's about Roon certification? I saw a thread about this on Roon forum, there's a link in one post about the official Roon list of all certified gears. For now it's not on the list.

On 28/1/2018 at 5:10 PM, beerandmusic said:

Welcome all the same.

Ahahahah no proble

It's already been available in Japan for a while.

Already available in Hong Kong too, in black color only.  Rumor is that the silver version will be available in a few months.

At this time it is neither MQA certified nor Roon Ready yet.  The specs state it will happen in the future.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

In response to my written query to TEAC Pre-Sales Support this week regarding US availability and specs of the NT-505 and UD-505 ( I currently own a UD-503)  I was advised that "(w)e are expecting to see these models around mid-March. Whether the units will be Roon/MQA ready or via a later update is still under review."

If it is anything like the UD-501 I have, it is well worth getting.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects