IGNORED

TEAC NT-505 NT505 Worth Waiting for ?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You could also add Merging NADAC and Auralic Altair to the list?

you mean add to your list for ones you have tried or did you mean add to my short list?

I actually was very close to buying an Altair before i found out about the LUMIN d1/d2...haven't heard of the merging nadac...will reseach now, but it looks fancier than my budget...will find out soon...

edit: ouch $10K...yea, too rich for me....drool dried up quickly....

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

you mean add to your list for ones you have tried or did you mean add to my short list?

I actually was very close to buying an Altair before i found out about the LUMIN d1/d2...haven't heard of the merging nadac...will reseach now, but it looks fancier than my budget...will find out soon...

edit: ouch $10K...yea, too rich for me....drool dried up quickly....

Just proposals to your list, gear I know to some extent... I don't have either one.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Just proposals to your list, gear I know to some extent... I don't have either one.

Ok thanks....merging looked nice but out of budget...the lumin D2 beat out the Altair for my desires.

Currently on my shortlist:

LUMIN D2

SOTM + UNK DAC

NATIV + UNK DAC

TEAC NT-505

MCINTOSH Integrated AMP w/new digital module w/ENET Port (probably won't happen soon enough)

9 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I personally want to do away with any use of usb, but others may be interested...thanks for info though.

I can understand the rationale, but how would you propose to do that with this particular device? 

Yes, in a perfect world i2s would be widely available, but that simply never happened. Assuming it offers the same digital connectivity of the NT 503, it will have USB, S/PDIF, coaxial and optical as options. All except USB have technical limitations with hi rez formats. How do you get around that?

JC

16 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

It's in japanese, who can translate?

https://teac.jp/jp/support/news/5386

I heard there are plans for roon ready?

My main curiousity is what DAC chipset it will use, and if there is any improvements on clock or galvanic isolation or other notable features that it has over NT503.

I think this is what i will get!

Why do you care for Roon-readyness?

Not long ago you wrote:

On 04/10/2016 at 3:55 AM, beerandmusic said:

roon sucks imho for these reasons that i won't even try it.

1. subscription

2. $500 non-subscription

3. $350 offers made

4. Who would buy for $500 when they know others have bought for $350 except for the rich?

5. HQP sounds better

6. License rights to incorporate HQP into their own player so it is worth buying and set the price below $300.

It is over 3 times the price of HQPlayer which sounds better on it's own.

If you want history of songs, just google...if you want good sound, buy HQP.

Not worth trying until then...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

4 hours ago, Wavelength said:

Rick,

Bulk mode is just one of the modes of transfer for USB. This is the same method that is used in hard drives and other error correcting protocols.

Basically all data is sent the same way on USB. The modes only change the way the host and device react. In the enumeration phase of any USB device the host and device agree on how they work and what they work with. Most controllers handle 7 in and out and the root or what we call End Point 0 is what the device uses to exchange control information.

So basically what PET does is tell the computer it is both a BULK-non hard drive endpoint and a ISO USB Audio Class 2 device. Of course now PET has to have drivers for every OS possible now because no OS supports BULK audio.

Is this better?

PRO's yes the host will retransmit packets until the device receives valid data.

CON's The big one is that BULK has a low priority, ISO is the highest. PLUG.... yes the host will retransmit packets until the device receives valid data. That means more noise, more power and well less quality. The bigger problem is that they have to have custom device drivers and we all know what that means.

Thanks,

Gordon

I don't think TEAC would release the new NT505 with this feature if it added more measurable noise that they weren't able to resolve for in some way without some added benefit....jmo

^^^cute....doesn't every audiophile wait for the next best dac?

Not like i am sitting waiting....I have 5 new pieces of gear coming in the next 30 days....not to mention stuff i have to send back.

...the hunt and the testing is what makes this a hobby (grin)

I suspect i will be satisfied and not buy another dac next year...i think we are getting close...uh...maybe....i think my ultimate will be when mcintosh adds an enet port to their ma5300 series DAx Module...and that may take more than a couple years...but i think i will be able to sit peacefully with a streamer/dac for the short term within a year....maybe in the flavor of a LUMIN D2 or a NT505.

By far my biggest single complaint with the NT-503 is its apparent inability to play true gapless via DLNA.  (Has anyone gotten it to work flawlessly in that regard?)  Unless the 505 fixes this issue, I wouldn't recommend it as a network player, unless you listen exclusively to stuff where gaps are tolerable.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:30 PM, wgscott said:

By far my biggest single complaint with the NT-503 is its apparent inability to play true gapless via DLNA.  (Has anyone gotten it to work flawlessly in that regard?)  Unless the 505 fixes this issue, I wouldn't recommend it as a network player, unless you listen exclusively to stuff where gaps are tolerable.

Thanks for the heads up, no gapless no deal for me. Beggars belief why anyone would buy a non gapless product.

7 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Thanks for the heads up, no gapless no deal for me. Beggars belief why anyone would buy a non gapless product.

Because they didn't know network playback was non-gapless, because the reviewers are too busy gushing about the liquidity and timberness of the soundstage to report basic facts.

That is exactly what I have been using to do some beta tests for some controller software.  (The individual tracks are short.  However, it is amazing how quickly it can wear thin, and that is pretty much the only Beatles album I can listen to, to begin with.). DSOTM takes too long.

On 11/28/2017 at 1:30 PM, wgscott said:

By far my biggest single complaint with the NT-503 is its apparent inability to play true gapless via DLNA.  (Has anyone gotten it to work flawlessly in that regard?)  Unless the 505 fixes this issue

NT-505 is OpenHome compliant and supports gapless playback, similar to NR-7CD, N-05 and N-01.

JRiver gapless UPnP should also work.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Well, the NT-503 claims to be DLNA compliant, and it turns out, according to some of our very own members here who program controller software, it isn't.  So verify, before you buy!  (Also, if they have fixed it on the NT-505, they should offer a firmware update for the NT-503).

Silly me, buying the NT-503 and expecting the network features to work properly.

(The iOS "app" for running the thing is a third-rate piece of shit closed proprietary software that barely works, and lately seems even incapable of displaying album art. I would be astounded if they could suddenly produce something functional for the 505 or the 503.)