36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

how does vibration affect a digital signal?  and if it does, what level is needed to do so?

* that is the fly in the ointment

Jitter .

"Google is your friend"

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 minutes ago, plissken said:

Tidal was sounding a bit thin and veiled. I just sent them still points to house all their server racks on. You're welcome everyone.

I hope that you still have enough money left over to fund your BS challenges to those you don't agree with ? 9_9

(>90% of C.A. members most likely)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

58 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

apparently it is not yours

Besides confusing a mechanical vibration with analog electronics, you have conflated both with a digital signal.

Now without a glib know-nothing reply can you explain how jitter is introduced in a router???

Do more research yourself.

I have no desire to play your stupid games Mr. TROLL !

BYE !

34 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Sandyk... every piece of content above has to do with after data arrives across the network to a PC or renderer and is stripped out of its frame and packet header for internal processing into a digital audio signal. None of it applies to data in transit inside a packet/frame transport envelope. I do follow and generally endorse the content above for the issues of getting audio data cleanly output, whether it be from HDD locally or from network after frame/packet envelope removal. But these articles are not germane to network data transmission.

What on earth do you think we are talking about here ?

We are talking about computer derived Audio. 

You, like several other members, steadfastly refuse to accept that things like the quality of the power supply area, the stability of the PC's internal Xtal clock,(Paul Pang etc. supply higher quality Clocks)  even the amount of RF/EMI generated by PWM controlled fans DO affect the SQ of exported Audio.

C.A. is far from the only Forum where large numbers of members now accept that the SQ of digital Audio is not governed merely by the 1s and 0s being correct, as they invariably are almost all of the time !

Even unplugging a Broadband Router using an SMPS while ripping and playing, can affect the SQ of digital audio, and it is not unknown that even reducing the number of non essential processes, or using SAFE MODE in a PC while ripping or playing may affect the final SQ results.

Not that I expect that you will believe any of that though!

11 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Ripping?  What kind of software are you using that doesn't have error checking and data validation?

When will you people get it through your thick heads that there is far more to the SQ of digital Audio than just the 1s and 0s being correct at the time they are exported ?

All of the ripped sets of comparison .wav files that I supplied to Martin Colloms from Hi Fi Critic magazine for DBT purposes several years ago had identical .md5 checksums, yet were correctly identified in 6 separate DBT sessions at different dates.

IIRC, there were 8 comparisons at each of those 6 separate sessions. 48 out of 48, POSITIVE results is far from the toss of a coin !

Did you read any of the material at the links I recently provided in this thread ? 

Just now, michaelD said:

I’m the originator and this thread has gotten way off course.  I told about my personal experience with putting vibration control under a router.  Note the word personal.   Please keep it to your own actual experiences only!

Hi Michael

Vibration control is beneficial with almost every piece of electronic equipment.

It is usually taken into account during the actual design process of the equipment, within cost restraints dictated by the bean counters.

Expensive CD/DVD players such as some from Sony etc.(e.g.SA11)  don't just use honeycomb construction in the metal work so that the customer thinks that because it is heavier than average, that it must have more inside it !

Even taking a decent quality DVD/BR player off the equipment shelf and placing it on a carpeted floor, can  alter how it sounds to some extent !

Regards

Alex

10 minutes ago, mansr said:

If I power my router with a linear power supply, will Wikipedia articles be more accurate?

The accuracy of Wikipedia articles is governed solely by the verified quality of the input, which would appear to rule out virtually every member that primarily posts in the General area of this forum in respect to Computer Audio.

You don't need to use a Linear supply for a Router to help with the overall SQ of your system.

Try earthing the 0 volts side of it's SMPS plugpack as John Swenson has suggested.

Anything in the chain in front of a DAC has the ability to alter its sound,
 since even small amounts of noise interfere with the D to A conversion.
 If a router is in the chain preceding the DAC, then yes it can affect the DAC.
 ......Anyway, I'm open to anti vibration measures for any signal path component,
but first remove the electrical noise, since this evil needs to be tamed

Back to serious again.

I completely agree with one and a half!

Anti Vibration is the icing on the cake.