IGNORED

Next Generation Audio Gear, another simplistic thread

Exasound is on record here stating that a "player/dac" would be optimal, and even asked what features we would want.

I also recently read that jitter can be eliminated by having a common clock between the player and dac.

I also recently heard that the SOTM ultra s-clock EX (or something like that) was worth the upgrade.

I also recently heard that a simple $30 clock in a cheap dac can make all the difference in the world.

I am currently of the belief that DAC engineers are just now realizing some of this with advent of reclockers, upgraded clock mods, etc....Sure, maybe they have been around for over a few years, but my guess is that we will see a whole new generation of player dacs with common improved clocks (at least if manufacturers want to remain competitive)

So in answering EXASOUND, what features would you want?

common clock

noise suppression

single box endpoint (e.g. streamer/dac or as i would prefer to simply call "network player")

sd card slot

DSD compatible

UPNP

RAAT

web interface for both configuration and playing direct without need for roon as well.

I can't think of anything else i would want, besides a $2K price tag.

My simplistic question is, what would you want in your next piece of NEXTGEN audio equipment?

5 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I'd like a physical volume control in addition to whatever other local/remote control is provided and, of course, Multichannel Support.

I am just curious, as i have seen many people want a physical volume control, and curios as to why that would be important.  I am sure there are valid reasons, i am just curious why.  I usually am closer to a remote than the dac when listening, and even when i have had dacs with physical volume knobs, i have never used them.  

i would understand wanting at least a remote controllable volume, since you know that will always work, and I have find using different drivers sometimes the volume doesn't work, so it would be nice to know at least one volume control that will "always" work (grin).

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I am just curious, as i have seen many people want a physical volume control, and curios as to why that would be important.  I am sure there are valid reasons, i am just curious why.  I usually am closer to a remote than the dac when listening, and even when i have had dacs with physical volume knobs, i have never used them.  

i would understand wanting at least a remote controllable volume, since you know that will always work, and I have find using different drivers sometimes the volume doesn't work, so it would be nice to know at least one volume control that will "always" work (grin).

My first - well, strictly speaking the first was an earlier model that only lasted a few weeks in the house, because it had CD reading issues - CD player had the works: a well engineered digital volume control, with an excellent output stage that easily drove the power amp directly, to any reasonable volume ... gosh, they got it right, 30 years ago!!

This was a big part of getting capable sound way back then, when most digital playback around at the time was pretty disposable ...

I dunno if I want a physical volume control, but I do want a volume control that feels good - something like the old 1970s Audio Research knobs would be great.  I know it's difficult, but...

also: remote controls of volume, switching & balance, mute; decoding of DSD, SACD ripping, CD ripping

and.. a low low price :confused:

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I am just curious, as i have seen many people want a physical volume control, and curios as to why that would be important. 

Very simple.  I always know where it is.  Remote controls/tablets/phones are mobile devices.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I dunno if I want a physical volume control, but I do want a volume control that feels good - something like the old 1970s Audio Research knobs would be great.  I know it's difficult, but...

also: remote controls of volume, switching & balance, mute; decoding of DSD, SACD ripping, CD ripping

and.. a low low price :confused:

Nice feeling volume isn't really difficult.  My now obsolete Tact gear had a nicely weighted spinning knob with a digital encoder.  You can do digital volume control or encode the wheel to switch a resistor network.  Have a couple recording interfaces which have nice weighted knobs that work the same way.  You can even build a taper into them if you wish. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 11/4/2017 at 1:24 PM, beerandmusic said:

...I hope you will consider a single unit box in near future...

Two more questions while you are here...

1) is it your company's contention that using a pc usb to your dac or your network player to your dac would be better (e.g. usb vs enet)?  In my testing, i prefer network, but many still believe usb is better or as good...the obvious answer is it depends, but a little more insight using your gear and your suggestions.

2)have you compared your network player to SOTM ultra?  Honest opinions?

Read more  

EXA>>>Single unit DAC/Steamer is the way to go. Feel free to suggest features.

clarifying or adding to want list:

advancement of clocks (similar to sotm sclk-ex or mutec ref10 )

embedded dacs w/native dsd support

optional LPS

dac chipset (es9028/9038 preferrence)

control app (would love web capable but be content with openhome or upnp...just so long as it doesn't have to be a smartphone or roon requireent)

RAAT (even though i hope it has support for non-roon, i would also like it to support ROON as well,  for potential future)

On 11/6/2017 at 6:45 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

I'd like a physical volume control in addition to whatever other local/remote control is provided and, of course, Multichannel Support.

+1

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

19 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Very simple.  I always know where it is.  Remote controls/tablets/phones are mobile devices.

Ok, understood...it wouldn't be a "breaker" for me if it didn't have a knob, provided it could be added without any SQ loss or large pricetag.....but i understand many may be willing to pay much more for the knob, and may even be a breaker for some if it didn't have one, but I personally don't have a preference.

7 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

EXA>>>Single unit DAC/Steamer is the way to go. Feel free to suggest features.

clarifying or adding to want list:

advancement of clocks (similar to sotm sclk-ex or mutec ref10 )

embedded dacs w/native dsd support

optional LPS

dac chipset (es9028/9038 preferrence)

control app (would love web capable but be content with openhome or upnp...just so long as it doesn't have to be a smartphone or roon requireent)

RAAT (even though i hope it has support for non-roon, i would also like it to support ROON as well,  for potential future)

Also want to clarify desire for optional LPS.

It would be nice if it included a less expensive PS, to make the product more affordable that can easily be upgraded later.

Hell even make the PS have a proprietary connector so you can make a little money on the LPS when someone does upgrade.

It seems that the PS is the most expensive part and could be easily upgrade able.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

Ok, understood...it wouldn't be a "breaker" for me if it didn't have a knob, provided it could be added without any SQ loss or large pricetag.....but i understand many may be willing to pay much more for the knob, and may even be a breaker for some if it didn't have one, but I personally don't have a preference.

I just added one to my system but it was not cheap, imho.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile