IGNORED

Streamers comparison and recommendation (1500€ limit)

Hello everyone.

I am in research for a streamer or network audio player.

Expectations:
- it can read mp3, flac and DSD from NAS (network attached storage, in my case Synology DS212j) and USB memory stick
- it should transport digital signal (via SPDIF or USB) to external DAC
- reliable while operating
- price of the player should be within 1500€ (linear power supply included)
- I don't want solutions that need external display (e.g. computer monitor). It should be HiFi device that can be turned on via button

Advantage:
- dedicated mobile application, and not just web control interface
- AirPlay
- Internet radio
- streaming services

Current candidates:
- Sonore microRendu - no dedicated application. 640 $ + linear power supply.
- Sonore ultraRendu - no dedicated application. They say at several forums that this model is better than its predecessor. 875 $ + linear power supply
- SOtM sMS-200 - no dedicated application, didn't hear it. 450 $ + linear power supply
- SOtM sMS-200ultra - no dedicated application. They say at several forums that this model is better than its predecessor. 1200 $ + linear power supply
- Auralic Aries Mini - dedicated application. AirPlay + internet radio. 550€ + linear power supply
- Auralic Aries LE - dedicated application. AirPlay + internet radio. I heard there are several problems with the stability caused by network problems. 1000€ + linear power supply
- Auralic Aries - dedicated application. AirPlay + internet radio. I heard several problems with the stability caused by network problems. I do not know the price.
- Bluesound Node 2 - dedicated application, Airplay, internet radio. No DSD support. 600€.
- Electrocompaniet Rena S1 - dedicated application, Airplay, internet radio. 600€.
- Onkyo NS-6170 - dedicated application, Airplay, internet radio. 350€.

I heard only Sonore microRendu which had great sound for me.

There are not candidates:

- Raspberry Pi - there is no customized version of the HiFi I just buy, without having to do anything, put together, buy separately etc. that is sonically good enough for my system. Correct me if I'm wrong.
- Aurender - great equipment but out of the price category.
- dCS Network Bridge - great equipment, but out of the price category.

Questions
- do you have candidates to add to this list?
- did you ever heard one of this candidates or can you compare it? It is own hearing experience that is most relevant to me, not reviews from 3rd sources.
- if there is perfect or near-perfect process of comparing different streamers, what would it be? I noticed there are no such information available publicly.

Many thanks!

I am looking for similar....wondering if any new products on horizon worth waiting for.

A few i am considering are

LUMIN D1

AURALIC ALTAIR

COCKTAIL X35

I have heard that SOTM 200 ULTRA is best, but i want a single box solution...if you don't mind 2 box solution, i would suggest you buy the SOTM 200 Ultra.  There is also a huge following for the SOTM products on this board....so free local support (grin).

You want a single server under 1500 Euros that is the best period.  sCLK-EX server, it's DIY, but extremely easy to do.  Picking the parts at first and sending off for clock replacement at SOtM can be a little daunting but well worth the effort.  This will at the least match the SOtM sms-200Ultra and give you far more functioning software/format capabilities.  Forget getting a linear supply for that price, at least a good one.  Minimum $500 for a linear supply, and up to 1k to 2k for the best, Paul Hynes SR7, which can be used for other devices in conjunction.

I also wouldn't overpay for some of these market server solutions that don't even come close to SQ from the sCLK-EX server DIY effort.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

All-in-one ... https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

Pretty new to the market although I don't know anyone that has got one ... but keeping an eye on it ... looks superb but how does it sound ? Personally, I'm not sure I want the DAC ... If they produced just the front end to hook up to my own DAC that would be perfect for me.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

All I've read so far says its a neck to neck horse race between the Sonore ultraRendu and the Sotm SMS-200 ultra in the price range stipulated with the proviso that an LPS is mandatory for best sound. If you are comfortable with used, you will see plenty of microRendu sold on this site from those playing the audiophile "arms race".

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

A used Bryston  BDP1.  They go for c. €800 now, with newer examples you may even get balance of transferable 5 year warranty, still supported by Bryston with fw updates.  USB, AES and BNC outputs, access by web browser or front  panel screen and transport buttons. On board LPS.  Can even use just like a solid state CD transport with music on USB stick and no network connection.  Sounds good to me, too.

If appeals my advice is to look out for an ex dem example from a dealer and haggle hard. Also make sure it's running Manic Moose firmware, bit of a pain to upgrade if it's still on Loony Loon.

I know you rejected Raspberry Pi off candidates, but my experience is overall positive. You can get complete pre-installed and assembled package https://volumio.org/product/allo-digione-player/. I have this one and it is not worse then Bluesound Node, Lumin D1, Linn Majic DS, Auralic Altair, which are models I had home for testing. Of course, it is without DAC.

Edit: to be fair, I run it with linear power supply (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hi-fi-power-supply/audiophonics-linear-regulated-low-noise-power-supply-usb-5v-35a-25va-p-11364.html).

8 hours ago, echim said:

There are not candidates:

- Raspberry Pi - there is no customized version of the HiFi I just buy, without having to do anything, put together, buy separately etc. that is sonically good enough for my system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's one that corrects your supposition (info only, not a recommendation - I've no issue with building my own!):

Bryston BDP-π Digital Player

Bryston say it's more capable than the BDP-1.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

6 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

You want a single server under 1500 Euros that is the best period.  sCLK-EX server, it's DIY, but extremely easy to do.  Picking the parts at first and sending off for clock replacement at SOtM can be a little daunting but well worth the effort.  This will at the least match the SOtM sms-200Ultra and give you far more functioning software/format capabilities.  Forget getting a linear supply for that price, at least a good one.  Minimum $500 for a linear supply, and up to 1k to 2k for the best, Paul Hynes SR7, which can be used for other devices in conjunction.

I also wouldn't overpay for some of these market server solutions that don't even come close to SQ from the sCLK-EX server DIY effort.

I have a $2K budget, don't know what that equates to in euros....really don't want a diy or multibox solution if i don't need to, and the lumina D1 and Altair are current contenders for what i am looking for, but they are both "old" products, and I expect to be able to find them used for less, but really want to know if anything "newer" is on the horizon....it seems a lot of action in this direction, so i suspect i will have many to pick from in a couple years.

6 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

as far as SQ goes, i know the Lumina gets great reviews...as to how it would compare to the sclk-ex, i have no idea, but i am sure i would be happy with either....i just don't want a DIY especially if i have to send off to get mods.

6 hours ago, Charente said:

All-in-one ... https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

Pretty new to the market although I don't know anyone that has got one ... but keeping an eye on it ... looks superb but how does it sound ? Personally, I'm not sure I want the DAC ... If they produced just the front end to hook up to my own DAC that would be perfect for me.

i have read that thread...aren't you the individual that is complaining about not getting your equipment that you ordered from them?  Also if i recall the vita requires a dac...i didn't see analog out on it?  I am looking for single box solution.

3 hours ago, Norton said:

A used Bryston  BDP1.  They go for c. €800 now, with newer examples you may even get balance of transferable 5 year warranty, still supported by Bryston with fw updates.  USB, AES and BNC outputs, access by web browser or front  panel screen and transport buttons. On board LPS.  Can even use just like a solid state CD transport with music on USB stick and no network connection.  Sounds good to me, too.

If appeals my advice is to look out for an ex dem example from a dealer and haggle hard. Also make sure it's running Manic Moose firmware, bit of a pain to upgrade if it's still on Loony Loon.

I looked at it as to your recommendation in another thread, but there were a couple issues with it that made me continue looking....one, i don't think it supported dsd?  Plus i don't think it came with DAC, but maybe author of thread is looking for streamer without dac since he mentioned both options (with and wihtout dac, so i am not sure exactly what he is looking for?)

2 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I have a $2K budget, don't know what that equates to in euros....really don't want a diy or multibox solution if i don't need to, and the lumina D1 and Altair are current contenders for what i am looking for, but they are both "old" products, and I expect to be able to find them used for less, but really want to know if anything "newer" is on the horizon....it seems a lot of action in this direction, so i suspect i will have many to pick from in a couple years.

I agree, I think the it's swinging back to the server without the added boxes/fixers.  As you see my configuration below, it doesn't get much simpler and I am very happy with SQ, software capability, format choice. 

Server=>DAC=>speakers

You can do a sCLK-EX server for 2K, power supply included.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

All I've read so far says its a neck to neck horse race between the Sonore ultraRendu and the Sotm SMS-200 ultra in the price range stipulated with the proviso that an LPS is mandatory for best sound. If you are comfortable with used, you will see plenty of microRendu sold on this site from those playing the audiophile "arms race".

I trust the HANS channel in the youtube video.  I have watched a lot of his videos and find he is unbiased and very informative....he made it like there is no neck-neck race, that the SOTM ultra is in league all of it's own and the best thing in last 20 years in audio.

6 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I agree, I think the it's swinging back to the server without the added boxes/fixers.  As you see my configuration below, it doesn't get much simpler and I am very happy with SQ, software capability, format choice. 

Server=>DAC=>speakers

You can do a sCLK-EX server for 2K, power supply included.

I poked my eyes in that thread more than a few times and i always leave dizzy.....

Believe it or not, I was an avid computer engineer until i retired at 55....i think my mind is shot and i hate to tinker more than i have to.  Hell i still have amazon alexas, google homes, logitech smart hubs, new AVR's, and a dozen other technology products i bought well over a year ago still in boxes, because I just don't want to tinker anymore.  Swapping boxes and using windows is about all i want to do anymore.  I don't even like to use my smartphone even though i have the samsung mega (with large screen), because i hate squinting my eyes....lol....

I want an "off the shelf" single box solution (grin).

23 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I looked at it as to your recommendation in another thread, but there were a couple issues with it that made me continue looking....one, i don't think it supported dsd?  Plus i don't think it came with DAC, but maybe author of thread is looking for streamer without dac since he mentioned both options (with and wihtout dac, so i am not sure exactly what he is looking for?)

Plays DSD fine, I've used with up to 256 with no problem depending on partnering DAC.  DoP at the moment, maybe native with future  fw upgrade ( if that matters).

It's a streamer/file player, not a DAC.

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I trust the HANS channel in the youtube video.  I have watched a lot of his videos and find he is unbiased and very informative....he made it like there is no neck-neck race, that the SOTM ultra is in league all of it's own and the best thing in last 20 years in audio.

I would agree, but would add that it's the sCLK-EX clocking board that is in a league of it's own.  It's versatility allows a modification of a server to equal or surpass the Ultra renderer.

3 minutes ago, Norton said:

Plays DSD fine, I've used with up to 256 with no problem depending on partnering DAC.  DoP at the moment, maybe native with future  fw upgrade.  

It's a streamer/file player, not a DAC.

ok, that was the reason then..i thought i didnt see dsd in literature also, but I really am looking for single box solution (streamer/dac).  I think the Lumina D1 is only real contender right now for me....maybe the cocktail x35...i haven't researched it yet though.

I probably would pull the trigger on the lumina now, except I want to see if anything is on horizon first (seems like lots of new products coming inre streamer dacs, and maybe i will go to ces again this year)....that and I want to try streaming to the latest (just released marantz SR6012) and see if i will be content with it. 

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

I poked my eyes in that thread more than a few times and i always leave dizzy.....

Believe it or not, I was an avid computer engineer until i retired at 55....i think my mind is shot and i hate to tinker more than i have to.  Hell i still have amazon alexas, google homes, logitech smart hubs, new AVR's, and a dozen other technology products i bought well over a year ago still in boxes, because I just don't want to tinker anymore.  Swapping boxes and using windows is about all i want to do anymore.  I don't even like to use my smartphone even though i have the samsung mega (with large screen), because i hate squinting my eyes....lol....

I want an "off the shelf" single box solution (grin).

All you have to do is buy the NUC and send it off to SOtM for the modification.  Or buy an embedded mini-itx and case, mount, send it off.  Test with Windows 10.

8 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I would agree, but would add that it's the sCLK-EX clocking board that is in a league of it's own.  It's versatility allows a modification of a server to equal or surpass the Ultra renderer.

Can they put the entire thread on a single page with what components to buy and how to configure to reach this "plateau of league of it's own".

I personally would rather swap the clock myself than to send it off to have someone else to do it, but i doubt i would ever do either, and if that is a requirement to reach that "plateau of league of it's own", then i would prefer to just wait for v2 where they put better clock on the board.

5 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Can they put the entire thread on a single page with what components to buy and configure.

I personally would rather swap caps myself than to send it off to someone else to do it, but i doubt i would ever do either, and if that is a requirement to reach that "plateau of league of it's own", then i would prefer to just wait for v2 where they put better caps in it.

No, your just going to have them change out the main system clock, lan clock, usb clock, and lastly modify the tXUSBexp pcie card with the last point for clocking. 

I am going to take the time here to put together a new thread on this build.  That thread is too big with too many different conversations going on.  It's just too big of an audio gain not to share with others interested in quality, price, capabilities, yet so simplistic.

9 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

All you have to do is buy the NUC and send it off to SOtM for the modification.  Or buy an embedded mini-itx and case, mount, send it off.  Test with Windows 10.

i missed this...

All you have to do is buy the NUC and send it off to SOtM for the modification.

Can you clarify this some more.

I buy a nuc and send it to SOTM and what do i get back?

Do they optimize the nuc for the SOTM ultra, or do they make the nuc it's own player all ino one unit?

23 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

i have read that thread...aren't you the individual that is complaining about not getting your equipment that you ordered from them?  Also if i recall the vita requires a dac...i didn't see analog out on it?  I am looking for single box solution.

I think you're confusing me with someone else !

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

7 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

No, your just going to have them change out the main system clock, lan clock, usb clock, and lastly modify the tXUSBexp pcie card with the last point for clocking. 

I am going to take the time here to put together a new thread on this build.  That thread is too big with too many different conversations going on.  It's just too big of an audio gain not to share with others interested in quality, price, capabilities, yet so simplistic.

Instead of having to buy a nuc and send it off to them, why doesn't SOTM just sell a modded nuc and add a little more money than actual costs...you would think they would get more sales that way? 

e.g. if a nuc costs $600 and they normally charge $300 for the mod (totally random numbers no clue as to actual pricing), why don't they just sell the mod'ed nuc for $1000?

Just now, Charente said:

I think you're confusing me with someone else !

oh ok....sorry about that...

If you read the thread on the nativ, you will see there have been issues with delivery...i thought it was you, but maybe someone else...anyway, at this point, it is not even a consideration based on the thread on this site.