IGNORED

Computer question

Hi, I am building a dedicated audio desk top computer to replace the laptop I am using to run Bug Head Infinity Blade and HQP.  I want to run the computer without a monitor and remote in using a program like Splashtop to control it from my laptop.  My question is, will the computer work without a monitor and how do you adjust the resolution?  I will be using an I7 7700K, DDR4 2666 ram with this Gigabyte MOBO

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474106/GA-Z270M-D3H_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

Thanks for the help,

Larry

My Gear- Pass Labs X250, BAT VK-51se, Magnepan 1.6's, Dual Martin Logan subs, Luxman DA-06 DAC with Regen, Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport, Thorens TD-145 TT, Cardas Parsec and AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR's

4 minutes ago, Mechnutt said:

Hi, I am building a dedicated audio desk top computer to replace the laptop I am using to run Bug Head Infinity Blade and HQP.  I want to run the computer without a monitor and remote in using a program like Splashtop to control it from my laptop.  My question is, will the computer work without a monitor and how do you adjust the resolution?  I will be using an I7 7700K, DDR4 2666 ram with this Gigabyte MOBO

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474106/GA-Z270M-D3H_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

Thanks for the help,

Larry

This is a slight "chicken and egg" problem.  You'll need a monitor long enough to login to enable Remote Desktop connections.  After that, you can remove the monitor and login remotely and select almost any resolution you want.  Regarding "Splashtop", I have no experience.

One other point:  HQP performs well with "Cuda Offload" (YMMV), but I don't see any nVidia hardware here, so that's out.  MS Remote Desktop can make the nVidia hardware unavailable since it doesn't use the hardware video frame buffer.  If you laptop is Windows, and your audio machine is Windows, why not just use MS Remote Desktop?  It's free.

Hi Samuel, thanks for the reply.  I realize that I will need a monitor to initially set up the computer but will I need the monitor every time I turn on the computer to be able to remote in?  I will be using Widnows 10

I will eventually add an Nvidia GPU with Cuda,  my current laptop is an I7 6700HQ with an Nvidia GT960m with Cuda.  Currently I use Bug Head but will eventually switch to HQP with Roon at some point.

I will have to give MS Remote a try.  Splashtop streamer is free and works great.  I currently remote into my audio laptop (which is sitting next to my dac)  from another laptop at my listening position.

My Gear- Pass Labs X250, BAT VK-51se, Magnepan 1.6's, Dual Martin Logan subs, Luxman DA-06 DAC with Regen, Music Hall 25.2 CDP as a transport, Thorens TD-145 TT, Cardas Parsec and AQ Colombia 72v DBS XLR's

22 minutes ago, Mechnutt said:

but will I need the monitor every time I turn on the computer to be able to remote in?  I will be using Widnows 10

No. Just wait until you think it has booted up and then you can connect with MS RD(C). I don't know about other products.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought.  It should boot up fast as I will be using a Samsung Evo 850 SSD for the OS and a WD Red 5 TB HD for the music.

Here is a link to Splashtop Personal which is free and works great for anyone interested.

https://www.splashtop.com/personal

10 minutes ago, Mechnutt said:

Thanks, that is exactly what I thought.  It should boot up fast as I will be using a Samsung Evo 850 SSD for the OS and a WD Red 5 TB HD for the music.

Here is a link to Splashtop Personal which is free and works great for anyone interested.

https://www.splashtop.com/personal

Thanks.  This appears to be an "access from anywhere" solution which essentially hands over control of your computer to Splashtop.  Teamviewer has a very similar solution and was hacked a while back, temporarily giving the hackers complete access to everyone's desktop that had chosen to enable the "access from anywhere" feature.

Caveat Emptor.

13 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Thanks.  This appears to be an "access from anywhere" solution which essentially hands over control of your computer to Splashtop.  Teamviewer has a very similar solution and was hacked a while back, temporarily giving the hackers complete access to everyone's desktop that had chosen to enable the "access from anywhere" feature.

Caveat Emptor.

I don't use the access from everywhere feature as you have to pay for that

You don’t need the CUDA offload, your 7700K will handle most 512 filters.

I control mine with LogMeIn which gets around the Renote Desktop annoyances.

Setting it up though will require a monitor or a tv. Keyboard and mouse are also musts.

Consider going all-fanless — SilentPC sells a giant heat sink that can handle the 7700K. Elinate all noise and reduce electrical noise.

Take your SSD off your power supply. I use a split SATA USB adapter to do this. I also ordered a SATA power filter will try that out shortly.

Thanks for all the tips.  I am interested in hearing how the SATA filter works.

8 hours ago, Robert van Diggele said:

I could be wrong but don't you need Windows 10 Pro to use the Remote Desktop Connection feature?

Correct. On the PC where you remote-in to (the one without monitor).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 10/25/2017 at 10:26 AM, Samuel T Cogley said:

Caveat Emptor.

the personal version wont go across routers...local network only...actually a very nice feature.

I just tried it from reading this thread....like it!!

Hi Mechnutt,

I've been using MS Remote Desktop on a headless machine for 2 years now without any issues. The headless machine sits on my audio rack and I control it with either my other computer or my Android phone (with the MS RDP app).  

My home network has a simple network switch which handles network management. Works flawlessly once you have your devices mapped out.  I no longer use BHE much but it worked beautifully when I did.  I now use Roon and HQP.  

I can recommend using RDP without any problem. 

Regards 

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

55 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

the personal version wont go across routers...local network only...actually a very nice feature.

I just tried it from reading this thread....like it!!

Thanks for this.  I assume there's two parts of this:

1. Server software that runs on the target machine
  2. Client software that runs on the machine you're connecting from (e.g, phone, tablet, laptop, etc.)

I understand that in order to reach the server from the client outside of your local network, upgraded software must be purchased.  My question: Are you certain the server isn't building that tunnel back to the Splashtop "mothership" whether you pay for the upgraded client or not?

6 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Thanks for this.  I assume there's two parts of this:

1. Server software that runs on the target machine
  2. Client software that runs on the machine you're connecting from (e.g, phone, tablet, laptop, etc.)

I understand that in order to reach the server from the client outside of your local network, upgraded software must be purchased.  My question: Are you certain the server isn't building that tunnel back to the Splashtop "mothership" whether you pay for the upgraded client or not?

yes, two parts...install the "streamer" on the computer you are remoting to...

actually, i may be wrong about the personal version not crossing routers, i just assumed that because it said it will only work on local network....but maybe they prevent non-local in some other way.