IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

2 hours ago, crenca said:

As far as I can tell, jabbr's point (as well as Tony's, etc.) is not that two bit identical files are inherently different - it is that in real world electronics lots of things can and do happen that can lead folks (particular "subjectivists) to hear differences in actual playback chains (i.e. they are all "suboptimal").  Upstream he says this is a "crucial" point, and that he "holds objectivists to a higher standard".  In other words, he is on a bit of a crusade (though he won't put it that way).  He also seems to believe all this is important to the root cause(s) of the subjectivist vs objectivist debate and whether Audiophiledom is a confidence game.

He is wrong.  Not in the particular, but in its relative importance to the Audiophile Confidence Game. "the con" does not rest on this or that particular "misunderstanding" around digital, real world non-ideal implementation, and the all too real "grey areas" in any techno endeavour.  These are proximate and even contributing realities, but they are in no way sufficient or and while I would not call the reality that he points to "un-important", it is at the end of the day what the con game rests on.

Now, this is not to say that digital audio is not something that is not resistant to the con  - it's just that the truth of all this is not going to move the debate in any significant direction or in any way upset the status quo.  There is too much inertia built in.

What will is changing demographics, major market disruptions, a consumer awareness, etc. etc.

should have read over it:

"while I would not call the reality that he points to "un-important", it is at the end of the day what the con game rests on."

should read

"while I would not call the reality that he points to "un-important", it is at the end of the day not what the con game rests on.

&

"Now, this is not to say that digital audio is not something that is not resistant to the con"

whhaaattt??  :)  

I am trying to say that while digital audio is in fact more resistant to the con game culture than just about all the rest of audiophiledom, it is in not here where the crux of the matter lies...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Theory and speculation about audibility of noise sources in the digital domain is fine and healthy. What's not fine is the way audiophiledom is currently viewing USB audio: that it's a complete disaster, that it can only be fixed with 5 different chained cleanup/reclocking devices, expensive cables, and everything, including NAS and network switches, being powered by expensive LPS.

It is not a "view" caused by or circumscribed by a technical reality, it is a culture & a confidence game (perhaps "confidence market") which begins with a "art & wine" radical subjectivity.  The technical reality is simply something to be manipulated, affirmed, ignored, etc. at the pleasure of other things...

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Since everyone else is doing it wrong, could you help all of us idiots out by defining the problem properly?

He already did with the standard subjectivist view:

"The subjectivists are right when they focus on how the system sounds.  This is the end goal.  The narrow minded objectivists who focus on one component at a time will never succeed in getting to the bottom of the problem because they have not properly defined the problem they are solving.  (And this certainly includes all of the people who post on either side, just for the sake of argument.)"

But again, none of this matters because it is not at this level that the Audiophile Confidence Game rests - this is rather the symptoms of a deeper issue...

15 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Trillions of dollars in the global economy hinges on data integrity (i.e., "bit accurate" data).  The mere notion that data integrity is itself some kind of dogma is absurd at a level that defies definition.

You know, there must be REAL $money$ in the financial markets leveraging the idea that the bits are not really bits (resting as they do on eletronics that have not been "proved" to be accurate)... :)

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Don’t know if that’s the case.  I would be very happy to have more information with which to make reality-based decisions.  People like @jabbr and @barrows who design and build (and measure) their own components would I assume be similarly pleased.  Most of the audiophiles I run into are pretty smart and very intellectually curious.

Of course there are always those for whom nothing’s sufficient, but I think you’re painting with rather too broad a brush.

I wonder if my brush is not too narrow.  The good intentions of some certainly don't somehow cancel out the reality of the whole culture.  Again (and again) it must be said that this culture does not rest on the lack of information (for which "more information" is the antidote).  The confidence game can not be reduced to the (unresolved) dialectic of the "subjectivist vs. objectivist", and even if there was wholesale change/resolution to this debate tomorrow it would not change the culture fundamentally.

Whatever @jabbr or @barrows personal position is (or mine), the cultural fundamentals remain the same...