IGNORED

Is Audiophiledom a confidence game?

crenca

2 hours ago, Michael Lavorgna said:

The hi-fi industry is not a confidence game. Referring to the art market, religion, etc was a way of putting things in some perspective.

Here's a tip for you - cables don't have a sound. If you don't believe me, pick one up and put each end in your ears. Nothing.

Systems, on the other hand, have a sound and cables can certainly effect the sound of a system.

I rate your reviews of digital gear Michael because you also run a turntable which qualifies you as an audiophile in my book. If the hi-fi industry is not a confidence game why has it been peddling the lie that CD sound in general is acceptable?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crenca said:

I am more optimistic.  Like I said upstream, I wonder if a changing demographic - the younger more digitally competent,  "confidence" averse (often a "personal audio") audiophile has not already created a kind of counter culture to the Audiophiledom that you and so many others are more comfortable with.  Sure, we will always have the luxury audiophile - the guy with too many $ burning a hole in his pocket and who will end up with all sorts of gimmicks from boxes of rocks to MQA and perhaps this will be enough to sustain things as they are for a long time.  Still even this might lead to a more obvious line (drawn everywhere, from publications to manufactures) between a real "high fidelity" and a confidence based "high end".  Granted, this is not the way things are now but these cracks and contradictions are a kind of "pressure" pushing against the status quo it seems to me...

I agree with you to a point, however not all promoters of Audiophlia are scammers, those that advise that you need to have an analog source in your system to access the superior masters out there are genuine Audiophiles, those that say a digital source is all you need are fake Audiophiles.