IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

Agreed, I am going to Home Depot today to pick up an AC plug.

But my nerdy side is just curious about the theory so if by placebo I hear an improvement I can point to a reason.  :)

Hi Tommy,

The theory is the same: that SMPS is very likely producing "high source impedance" noise. We just don't know how much, unless JS could measure it. So now:

1. If you hear an SQ improvement, you congratulate yourself for whacking another noise mole, because you clearly shunted this SMPS noise.
  2. If you hear no improvement, you can attribute it to the fact that the smart folks at Synergistic may have already grounded it - some SMPSes do, after all, already have this.

Either way, you've got a theory to back your findings. QED. :D 

• 2 months later...

@JohnSwenson

I just had a strange episode with my home brew JSGT.

I had need to power cycle my LPS-1. The output of the Meanwell goes into the input of the JSGT, and the other end plugs into the energizing input port of the LPS-1. As it should. Well, I noticed the Meanwell green LED was cycling on and off at about 2Hz, with audible clicks to match, and there was no red light on the LPS-1. Disconnecting the Meanwell from the JSGT immediately restored the LED to steady green, and connecting it directly immediately energized the LPS-1.

I immediately disconnected the JSGT, and I'm trying to figure out what is going on. This was all working immediately prior to the power cycle. Luckily nothing appears to be fried or anything.

Could I be creating a ground loop of some kind that the Meanwell is detecting and reacting to?

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Just to clarify, the Mean Well was connected to the adapter, then the adapter was connected to the LPS-1?

Yes, the output barrel of the Meanwell was connected to the female end of the JSGT, and the male end of the JSGT connected to the LPS-1.

3 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Did the LED on the LPS-1 ever come on? Did it come on red then go off? Did it go read, then amber then sometime during amber go to red? Did it flashing red? Something else?

Nothing whatsoever happened on the LPS-1. In fact the behavior was the same even with the JSGT detached from the LPS-1. Something about connecting the Meanwell output to the JSGT caused the Meanwell to behave in that fashion - the green LED on the Meanwell brick was flashing. Detaching from the JSGT immediately fixed it.

48 minutes ago, sockpit said:

I tried a crude method to begin with, since I don’t have the right terminations.

I stripped wire and wrapped it around both the ground pin of the meanwell ac cord and the dc barrel that plugs into my lps1.

interesting result: the meanwell’s green led blinked and lps 1 was not sent juice.  

I removed the wire and then it fired up.

Next, while hot, I carefully wrapped the shunt wire around the ground pin again.  That was tolerated.

hmmmmm.

Interesting. You experienced the same thing I reported here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/?do=findComment&comment=775868

Not sure what is going on.