IGNORED

Mola Mola Pre/dac review compared to DAVE dac

I have heard the Mola Mola Makua pre-amp with DAC and the Kaluga amps with Vivid Audio speakers and it was one of the best 4 or 5 systems I have ever heard (I work in the Industry and have attended many CES and RMAF shows, as well as done many high end dealer visits across the country).

Personally, I think the Mola Mola DAC tech is something special.  Mola Mola has an interesting approach: they use three powerful DSP chips to ultimately oversample all incoming sample rates to a 100 MHz single bit signal (regular DSD is 2.8224 MHz single bit) and then use a discrete FIR filter to do the final conversion to analog, followed by a relatively unique "single ended differential" discrete output stage.  The discrete FIR filter conversion stage appears to be similar to Jussi Lasko's (HQPlayer Developer)  DSC-1/2 design, but of course it is running at a higher rate in the Mola Mola.  So while Mola Mola's approach might not be considered entirely unique, it is about as unique as it gets in commercial DACs.  Of course, the sound quality is what matters, and as I mentioned, I am very impressed.   

While it is true that there ares some DACs which do not work at their best direct into a power amp, this will not be the case with the Mola Mola Tambaqui, as the output stage it uses is the same as that in the Makua preamp, so there is no point in adding a preamp, unless you need a preamp to accommodate analog sources, etc.

I could live happily ever after with a Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, direct into the Kaluga amps, to Vivid Audio Giya 2s or 3s (I have yet to hear the new Kayas).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I am not a multi channel/home theatre guy myself, but it sounds like you have it pretty well sorted out.  You mention the KEF speakers, and Vivid, and I have to agree that both of these are among the very best I have ever heard, so I think you are on the right track!

Bruno Putzeys is to me one of the most interesting designers in audio, with Hypex, Mola Mola, and Kii, he is doing wonderful things.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

7 minutes ago, Marcel073 said:

Hi all,

Has anyone heard the Merging+NADAC (Network Attached DAC) with "normal" speakers?

A few weeks ago I visited the XFi event in Veldhoven, the Netherlands.

I heard it being used when teamed up with Daudio dipole speakers, a Dutch speaker brand.

Though it sounded fantastic, especially with live recordings of classical concerts, this type of speaker cannot be fitted easily into my 22m2 room.

Since most of the items in this particular thread are about Chord Dave and Mola-Mola Tambaqui DAC (or Makua pre-amp).

I'm curious if anyone has (or knows of) an A/B comparison of the M-M or Dave and the NADAC.

Merging (A Swiss company apparently well-known in the studio world (*)) also has a Roon-ready player known as Merging+Player that supposedly has the same hardware as the standalone NADAC.

(*) I guess that is also the reason why their products support the Ravenna (AES67) networking protocol.

That is even more advantageous as neither a Tambaqui nor a Makua can be used as such, at least to my understanding.

Thanks and cheers,

Marcel

The Tambaqui DAC has Ethernet input, and my understanding is that Mola Mola is working with ROON to get it "ROON certified" as a ROON RAAT endpoint.

SONORE computer audio

13 minutes ago, toetapaudio said:

@Marcel073, the new Lumin U1 mini is £1,695.00. Great value I believe.

The Fidata is £6k, but is extremely good and we use it as our reference. The only others that might compare are the Netherlands brands Pink Faun, Evo 432 and SMG,  all of which cost more.

@jtwrace, are you in the U.K.? We can lend you one to try if you are.

When you suggest that "the only others that might compare" it suggests that you have auditioned all such products.  As you are a retailer, I think this statement is crossing the boundaries of good form on a public forum.  I doubt that you have compared all available Ethernet Renders in the same system context.  Have you auditioned the Sonore Signature Rendu SE, for example?

I do appreciate your posts here, but I would suggest that you refrain from commenting about products with which you have no experience.

SONORE computer audio

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, matthias said:

Would you mind loaning one and posting a review?

Matt

What?  How would I do that?  Loaning one from where?  There are posters on this thread who have Tambaqui DACs in their possession, but I am not one.

SONORE computer audio

2 hours ago, Music Enthusiast said:

Yes useless information unless it comes from someone who has absolutely nothing to lose by offering a completely honest, unbiased opinion. 

Less "useless" than anything you have on offer though...

SONORE computer audio

10 hours ago, presmara said:

Ricka sorry to hear about this. I have found blogs like your intended purpose have been very useful to me in getting to understand how various components interface with one another.

I own a MakuaRemote/DAC and love it. My dealer has been burning in a Tambaqui and invited me to compare against the Makua and playback designs dream DAC. It is important for all of us to understand how various servers/cables/power amps/speakers etc interface with DACs and understand that a certain DAC may sound best in one system and not necessarily the best in another. 

Looking forward to constructive input as if we are one team all working towards a common goal - live beautiful engaging music in our living rooms. 

Cheers

mark

Mark, thanks for reporting in, I look forward to hearing of your comparisons!  More data points are always welcome as far as I am concerned.

SONORE computer audio

• 4 months later...

@yyz, As you need a preamp, if I were you, I would not hesitate to go with the Makua with the DAC board.  The Mola Mola analog circuitry is about as close to transparent (no "sound" of its own) as one can get.  With your Luxman amp you already have the addition of the "Luxman" sound-but my preference is always for a simpler system when possible, and the Makua with DAC gets you one less box, one less interconnect and one less power cable...

If you are one who prefers more boxes and complexity, then go the separate DAC and preamp route...  

SONORE computer audio

• 7 months later...