IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

On 8/26/2017 at 11:36 AM, PeterSt said:

About perceived EE bashing ...

No, not really. But what I noticed from experience is that the very best Electrical Engineer will quite explicitly not go along with what the "audio engineer" requires from him/her.

Well you are officially an EE because you do EE ? ... In my college & university, undergrad there was physics -- and for computers there was the math major -- I was allowed to take graduate classes in CS/EE but not allowed a degree ?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

researchers use MRI and fMRI all the time - tho since they have PhD's you have some sort of doctor's orders...

but what would such an experiment really tell you?

Nothing -- unfortunately while f MRI sounds great and is a research area it's too easy to dial in the results you are seeking.

On 8/28/2017 at 0:36 AM, vrao said:

FYI: functional imaging is just not fMRI , so Jonny just let it go and play with something else  ...

Don't get me wrong, fMRI and functional imaging in general is a great field of study that is currently evolving at a rapid pace. There is great hope that in the future it will become more established as a diagnostic tool as well as a method for understanding the mechanisms of cognition. 

There is a meme here, however, that fMRI would allow us to cut through "cognitive bias" regarding perceived differences between USB cables, AC power cables etc. I am aware of some relatively old work regarding perfect pitch and auditory evoked potentials. Perhaps in the future technologies like fMRI may play a role, but I don't think we are there yet regarding USB cables. Perhaps there is some research I am unaware of?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, manisandher said:

If it were practical, I would have been happy to do the test with different USB cables.

Mani.

Again, my assertion is that most if not all of  these differences in source hardware and cables has to do with common mode noise/EMI production by the source hardware transmitted through the USB port and down the EMI waveguide aka USB cable. Those tests won’t adress that assertion nor get at an alternate mechanism so remain as unexplained observations.

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have already made available proof that A/V files with identical .md5 checksums can not only sound different ,but look different too,  but none of the highly vocal qualified members are interested in even testing this proof for themselves.

Your use of the word "proof" and my own seem to be radically different, and its hard to have a conversation when definitions aren't shared and words don't have shared meaning. You, yourself, admit that you don't have the requisite electrical engineering or physics background to robustly test your assertions.

20 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I don't need to have technical qualifications for people to not only SEE and HEAR the differences between my supplied comparison files. You are being ELITIST in your belief that observations by other than technically qualified people are of no consequence,

No, I didn't hear a shred of difference between the files you sent me, nor did I see a difference in the terribly low res photos you posted. I don't believe that observations from non-technical people have no consequence. That said you are chasing windmills.

Moreover what you are writing about has nothing to do with USB Audio and I can't see any connection between what you are ranting about and this thread.

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

As much as Jabbr may wish to believe , his assertion is NOT acceptable proof of anything.

That's why I called it an assertion using the normal English language definition of assertion, and why I didn't call it a proof, using the normal English language definition of proof.