IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

1 hour ago, Jmzeitouni said:

I understand there might be a lower SQ improvement  using the sms-200 with tx-usb ultra as opposed to using two ultra devices, but will it at least be better that using the sms-200 ultra alone ? (With PS) 

@austinpop and @limniscate could not hear a difference between the modded sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra when re-clocked by the tX-USB.

You should contact SOtM or your local dealer for the exact details, but you will need to have the sMS-200 modified by SOtM before it can be re-clocked by the tX-USBultra.  You may also need to send your tX-USBultra so SOtM can test the devices together before returning them to you.  I believe they provide an SMB cable.

From the SOtM U.S. dealer:

The tX-USBultra can be modified for the sMS-200. The tX-USBultra uses one point output of the sCLK-EX (clock). Three point outputs of the sCLK-EX can be used for other digital devices, meaning that two are used to connect to the sMS-200. The connection is with SMB connectors.

Upgrade your existing sMS-200 – send us your sMS-200 and we will modify the unit by using the available points of the sCLK-EX in the tX-USBultra. Please contact us if you would like this option. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Is your Vega the upgraded version of the original as in this   

https://www.facebook.com/auralic.ltd/posts/dear-auralic-vega-dac-customerswe-are-more-than-glad-to-say-that-the-vega-dsd256/996095743792256/   or is it the original version?  

Despite the claims by Auralic on the Facebook page, they never offered this upgrade to Australian customers at all much to my dismay.

Yes, my Vega is the upgraded version.  It appears you could have sent your unit back to China according to the terms of the Facebook letter.  

SOtM is not misleading anyone on their site by claiming the sMS-200 supports native DSD on the Vega.  If your Vega only supports DoP, which is all the original units ever did prior to the upgrade, then there is no way for SOtM to magically play native DSD.

28 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

Several Aussies (including me) tried to ship our units to Auralic to get the upgrade but they simply refused to service Australian customers until they had rolled out the upgrade in the U.S. and Europe.  Then they simply stopped providing the upgrade at all.

In the Auralic world only The U.S. and Europe matter apparently.    So lucky you!!  

I'm truly sorry that you missed out.  I'd be pretty upset.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Thomas_2013 said:

I'am also interested in an external word clock!

There are different offers. On Ebay there is a used Antelope 10M Clock with two 75ohm outputs, of course there is an offer to the sCLK-OCX10 master clock, but very expensive - beside my sms-200ultra and the txb-ultra there is a additional sps-500 needed to setup the "4" devices. A alternative master-clock was offered from my dealer.. it calls 10M NCTR-Clock with internal Power Supply (230V) for 1500€.

Are there differences between the master-clock - 10Mhz??

Search the "Novel Way..." thread for the master clock comparison.  The Mutec REF10 is the way to go between the OCX10 and REF10.  Last time I checked, the Antelope clock is not something you would want.  I've never hear d of the NCTR clock.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, gordec said:

You guys think getting Neo is worth it over the original Ultra? I'm looking to get an used Ultra (with input clock which I probably won't use) for $800. If I want to upgrade to Neo that's another $200. Maybe better to just wait for a Neo if the upgrade is significant.

The Neo is a nice upgrade.  I think you're overpaying at $800, especially if you have no plans for the master clock.  Others may differ.

If you're a DIY type, build yourself a NUC for 1/2 the price.