IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

• 10 months later...
2 minutes ago, Blade1001 said:

I'm not sure I follow. The 'upgrade' (if indeed it is an upgrade at all) is $30? They can't doing much for that?

I believe it has to do with the power supply board inside the sMS or the regulator on that board...

In any case, it doesn't hurt to try it.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

I wonder if the tX-USBultra has the same (or at least similar) components?  But it does not look like the tX is going "Neo", otherwise it would have been mentioned in the press release?

I think the power components in the  tX are "intergrated" on the main boards, which is different from the sMS,  where the power board is sort of independently attached inside the chassis.

5 hours ago, Confused said:

I sent an email to May yesterday to clarify some of the logistics re the neo update.  A couple of points in her response are worth sharing:

Firstly, SOtM are looking to get the update done by some of their "local partners", so depending on where you live and who you purchased from, it might be a case of going back to you local dealer / distributor, rather than back to Korea.

Second point, this is just for the sMS-200 / Ultra, there will not be a Neo tX-USBultra.  (So @tedwoods was spot on!):)

Thanks for the update! That's great news, indeed!

4 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

It’s very strange, is it not, to describe a new product in terms of change in sound emphasis, rather than a “deluxe parabolic capacitor for a cleaner signal pathway and reduced UFO interference” or some such?

They must be sure of themselves however and I always like to see the ability to upgrade factored in. 

I was looking into this product as a replacement for an ultraRendu that I’m having instability with HQPLAYER. I’d be inclined to buy an original and only upgrade once the new ne was out in the wild for a time. 

.sjb. 

I'll do the upgrade, out of curiosity mostly, and see how it goes.

No experience with the uRendu, but I am using the Ultra with HQ Player and it has always been rock solid and awesome sounding!

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, the "Neo" upgrade consists of a capacitor change on the power supply board, so it is relatively easy to switch back if one feels so.

My schedule is pretty hectic right now, but hopefully I'll find some time over the weekend to mod mine with the new cap. 

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Is it the large one on the PSU board? 

Did you order the new cap directly from SOtM? 

Some pictures of the cap and the modification would be nice ?

Yes, that one.

I've ordered through the official dealer.

I'll try to get some pics too.

1 hour ago, Blade1001 said:

Hmmmm, kind of supports my earlier suspicion that this is a replacement of a component not working correctly within the specification of the design. What are the values of the old and new caps? 

With my audiophile hat on, if this cap has such an influence on sound quality, is there any mileage on buying a higher spec cap like a V-Cap?

Not nessecarily... Componenets evolve all the time. They must have found something "better" to use. The cap is in the power supply board. V-caps are signal caps, so I believe their application is for other parts of the circuit.

14 hours ago, Tommd64 said:

I,m curious what sparepart(s) is changed.  I believe you kept your old version?? Ps a Sms200 or sms200 ultra??

I have the Ultra version.

The mod involves only one capacitor change on the power supply board.

I have kept the old capacitor, but don't really feel the need to swap it back, since I'm really enjoying the sound.

15 hours ago, Blade1001 said:

Nothing really to do with your dealer to be honest, you paid him good money for the device in the first place I assume and good money for the mod. What you do with your own property after that is none of his business!

I see your point and to be honest I don't see any real danger in disclosing the details of the mod.

Besides, changing a cap isn't really rocket science or something.

But I have to extend the courtesy to the involved parties to disclose or not what the mod entails, should they want to.

7 minutes ago, aggielaw said:

I read somewhere that the Neo upgrade costs $30 and the new (optional) faceplate costs $80.  The (sole, to my knowledge) US dealer just quoted me a flat cost of $200 without further explanation.  Did SOtM decide to raise the price and make the new faceplate mandatory?

I chose not to upgrade the faceplate....

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Confused said:

I actually went back to re-read this post, because with the original sMS -200Ultra I have noticed something remarkably similar to your comment regarding cymbals and similar sounding a "bit detached in the mix".  My sMS-200Ultra has been back to Korea for the Neo upgrade, as well as having shorter internal clock cables fitted, apparently the work is complete and I have just received the tracking number for it's journey back to the UK.  The point is that for the last three weeks while the sMS-200Ultra has been away I have been back using my old microRendu and I have noticed something very similar to what you describe with the Neo, that with the mR the everything sounds far more coherent, or integrated in the mix.  The mR definitely sounds more tonally balanced to me.

With the mR there is a definite loss of both detail and dynamics, so I am not saying it is the superior device, but in many ways I do prefer what it delivers, in many respects, the mR is the one I would rather listen to.  

So my hope is that somehow the Neo will capture the positives of the mR whilst retaining the strengths of the sMS-200Utra.  Optimistic perhaps, but time will tell.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the mR.

The difference between the "Neo" and the old sMS is subtle but noticeable.

I especially like the fact that its most favourable trait -the way it depicts detail- has not suffered one iota.

Its dynamic behaviour (or what I like to cal the "uncompression" effect) also seems undiminished.

As @flkin has mentioned, if SOtM didn't somehow feel the product would become "better" they wouldn't have standardised the offering.

However, given the subtle effect of the mod, it'd be best if it was to be performed locally, rather than having to ship one's unit overseas.

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Confused said:

Is anyone successfully using the new 100BASE-T mode with HQPlayer?  I can get Roon, Shairport etc. working with 100BASE-T, no issues, but not HQPlayer.  I am interested in any feedback from other HQPlayer users, as I am not sure if this is an intrinsic problem, or maybe something unique to my particular set-up?

100BASE-T works fine at the server/router side , so it's not HQPlayer related. It's an intrinsic problem, I'm afraid. Contrary to what I have posted (my apologies...my source of confusion came from the fact that the SoTM switch "reverses" the indicator lights), there is currently no way to set up NAA for 100BASE-T. I have reported the problem to SoTM and I'm hoping they'll be working on a solution, since the S.Q. difference is quite evident, in standalone Roon at least...

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, Zauurx said:

Thanks Thomas, but if I only use the same player (eg NAA), I just want to start the streamer or turn it off ... without going through an additional command via a browser (and network access).

You don't have to set the Eunhasu page every time you start your sMS, as it's configured as set and forget, unless of course you want to switch from say DLNA to NAA in which case you have to do it manually, but this is the same with all current renderers, not just the sMS, simply because there is no other way. The machine's firmware cannot guess what one thinks...

Now if you mean that the Eunhasu page does not display the last setting, e.g. you set it for NAA and it doesn't display anything or it displays something other than the last setting, then you most probably have a corrupt sd card and you'll need to re-flash it.