IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

10 minutes ago, jabbr said:

There are those of us who would like to know, given the mathematical effect of phase error on DAC signal output

Wait, it's not just those crazy "Objectivist" folks insisting relevance only at DAC output? Who knew...

The mathematical effect is very clear (feel free to run a simulation if you question), so the real question is: what is the audible effect and at what level are the effects audible?

And how do you propose to establish this audibility correlation? Using what method?

Or is that presumed done and we are about to hear all about this "linewidth" sound?

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

I don't claim to have the audibility correlation. If people could agree on what measurements are relevant (I have my ideas) then an audibility correlation could be worked on.

So on what basis are these products sold?

How was it first decided to design, engineer and manufacture in lower "phase noise" a priori?

What I can tell you is exactly what the electrical difference between a "100 femtosecond" and "10 picosecond" difference in "jitter"/phase error look like.

A measure showing this at the DAC output would be terrific, TIA

36 minutes ago, Jud said:

A J, I’m curious: Do you have any control over the amplification used for your speakers at shows?

Yes, I insist that a remote is provided, with at least volume control.

If so, how do you choose?

A check for 1/2 the room cost is usually suffice.

Btw, I'm disappointed it took this long to redirect to me/my speakers. Let's keep focus there, lest we start talking about USB widgetry and phase noise hearing etc

14 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Curious, since you demo your speakers you want to use the best amps to show them off

I'm about to remove that possibility of audiophile "best" nervosa by going all active

what dac/music player are you fond of to demo your speakers?

Depends on the audience, since that's who I'm demoing for.

For my personal needs, Foobar and Audioengine D2s are suffice

56 minutes ago, Jud said:

It was a sincere and serious question

And my answer was sincere jest. :)

Are you asking what amps I prefer personally or say, would recommend to customers if they ask?

My personal preference is anything from Bruno Putzeys. I'm a bit green conscious, so Class D fills the bill there.

Hypex NCore based amps are my number one choice. However, if you've visited my site, you'll see a design that is very specifically designed for low power high output impedance amps, like typical SETs. So I design for the tastes of others as well.

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I am mentally adding you to users opinions I trust (grin).  I agree wireless cheap dac will suffice!

Well, to be fair it was $600 new, but I see now going for $400, so I'd say "inexpensive:, rather than "cheap".

Keep in mind it can also be used as a bit "transport", since it does have optical out, which can then be use with the fancy DACs.

I'm not one who hears big differences if any at all with DACs, regardless of price, though I must admit a recent comparison between the Chord Dave and Berkeley had me a bit puzzled, as the Dave indeed seemed to have a "sound" which I couldn't quite put my finger on. I will have to revisit, as being a non-believer, I cannot discount it being due to the "test" conditions, aka sighted...and my fallible perceptions!

I've done enough blind tests to know about witch effects.

46 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm doubtful about the efficacy of blind listening tests in practice.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w5903

http://www.upworthy.com/this-orchestras-blind-audition-proves-bias-sneaks-in-when-you-least-expect-it

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/million-dollar-strads-fall-modern-violins-blind-sound-check etc, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not.

A victim of my education and non-audiophile as is currently popular status. YMMV