IGNORED

What's the best way to rip CDs to a Mac?

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, William said:

I spent days and weeks some years ago to find the best way to rip CD's to a Mac.

If " best " means for you as it means for me : an exact copy, error free, with all the bits at their right place, you could export your CD as a DDP. 

I used DDP Creator (Pro) from Sonoris to export all my CDs to my Mac.

Result is perfect.

There are, however, some drawbacks : 

- CD is exported as a folder containing specific files. Music tracks are in a single file " IMAGE.DAT ". You cannot see the separates tracks anymore.

- You need a player that can read DDP. I use soundBlade SE (wich plays AIFF & FLAC files from dowloaded music too). DDP Creator (Pro) can of course read DDP.

- Basic metadata. I don't really care, but important for others.

If these points are not a problem for you, here is the best rip possible.

William

I fail to see how this method is better than using something like dBpoweramp with AccurateRip. In fact, it has the major draw backs of leaving you without metadata and no individual track files. 

14 minutes ago, William said:

I haven't said it was better than any other software in the market.
I just said the rip was perfect, everytime.  That's what I meant by " best ".

No metadata and no individual tracks is a major drawback for you, simply because we don't have the same listening needs.

I would posit that DDP Creator acting as a CD ripper has unknown accuracy based on this from the DDP Creator manual:

DDP Creator depends on the error-checking capabilities of the computer’s optical drive to ensure that the audio data is read reliably with no errors. 

Since the computer's optical drive is never perfect and DDP Creator is not comparing against a known good master in any way, the rip may or may not be perfect and there is no way to know if it is or is not.

This is exactly why AccurateRip is such a good idea. Products that use AccurateRip can promise perfect rips while products that don't, cannot.

21 minutes ago, audiventory said:

And how the database give correct error detection probability of original studio content = 100%?

Let's show us calculations in details.

We have gone over this multiple times. There is no way to know if the CDs made by the disc maker match the master. That test happens, or should happen, before the CDs are pressed in mass quantities. All we can do is work with enough released CDs to have confidence in the checksums in the AccurateRip database.

You seem to be doubting the validity of a checksum database. Using checksums is the most common way to verify the data in a file is accurate for mission critical firmware upgrades. They work and work well.

How many times does the same track across thousands of CDs need to generate the same checksum before you can have confidence in that checksum? I don't need to do probability calculations.  

Your clearly have a bias against AccurateRip and it is coloring your arguments. You are being ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

when you turn on the "Use Error Correction" check box in iTunes, what exactly does it do?

does it use checksum?

or does it do 2 reads and see if each bit matches, then do additional reads if they do not match?

It doesn't use checksums. Beyond that, I am not sure what that option actually does.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

I need a recommendation for an external optical drive specifically for ripping to use with my last years MacBook Pro (ideally with USB-C connectivity without adapter).

My searches found a lot of discontinued models and mostly reviews about blue-ray performance. Should as accurate as possible and fast reading speed at the same time because I find ripping boring!

I have used this drive for quite  a while and it is excellent!

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/

You would have to buy a USB 3.0 to USB C cable.