IGNORED

Suggestions for a Class D integrated amplifier

18 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

it would be instructive to have the dates of each of those Quotes

What does it matter? After buying lots of stuff that I didn't wind up liking, I learned to trust my own hearing. Some people have an ax to grind, and it's truly hilarious when they keep posting the same rants in multiple forums/threads.

Unlike Class A or AB, Class D is protected with patent rights. It is not cheap to manufacture the chips. Right now, I can only think of NCore chips are available for others. Crown's Drivecore is not available to others. I am not sure about other class D manufacturers but it looks like the development of Class D is an expensive venture.

Unless, the persons quoted above could show exactly which Class D amplifier they compared with, I would consider their statement as marketing puff. 

Someone suggested I made it up. As it turns out, I didn't. I seem to hurt some people's feelings -- including mine; there's a bunch of affordable class D products aimed at audiophiles but knowing that they are inherently inferior means I have to constantly remind myself that I should consider them off the table. 

Wyred 4 Sound STI v2 integrated, based on ICEpower ASX2 ($2,499). Highly recommended.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/integrated-amps/sti-v2-series

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

On 6/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, STC said:

Unlike Class A or AB, Class D is protected with patent rights. It is not cheap to manufacture the chips. Right now, I can only think of NCore chips are available for others. Crown's Drivecore is not available to others. I am not sure about other class D manufacturers but it looks like the development of Class D is an expensive venture.

Unless, the persons quoted above could show exactly which Class D amplifier they compared with, I would consider their statement as marketing puff. 

Agreed, just a correction: nCores do not have proprietary chips, though several types use off-the-shelf IC opamps and logic.  But the circuit and physical layout have legal protection of some type.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I understand that class D is also a lot more complex for an engineer to develop from scratch than "regular" class A and A/B. Unless he sources it OEM from the known names (Icepower, Hypex, Tripath, TI).

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

5 minutes ago, Matias said:

I understand that class D is also a lot more complex for an engineer to develop from scratch than "regular" class A and A/B. Unless he sources it OEM from the known names (Icepower, Hypex, Tripath, TI).

I believe so. I recall Bruno Putzey describing how even the component and PCB track layout was critical to performance and stability. That is why it must be a black art to both make a great amplifier and especially one that sounds good. 

• 3 weeks later...

Fortunately 6moons site has plenty of class D reviews from different brands. They are very helpful. Specially because they compare the unit under review against traditional amplifiers and other class D amps to get a baseline.