IGNORED

Suggestions for a Class D integrated amplifier

Greetings everyone! I've been passively browsing for quit a while but now have joined the community. I'm putting together a new stereo system that will be needing an integrated amplifier. It'll be having inputs from a CD player and I'm hoping to stream music too. I'm using Kef ls50s as my speakers and am streaming through a SMSL Sanskrit and Google Chromecast Audio. 

I'm hoping to get input on selecting an integrated Class D powered amplifier. I know there must be more brands out there but I just haven't found them yet. I don't buying used but have around 900-1000 to spend. I've tried the Rogue Audio Sphinx and the Peachtree Nova 125se and am looking to try something else. If members could share their thoughts on what they've tried I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to do the classdaudio option but they don't offer an integrated amp option. I've read many good things about their products. 

Thd NAD series has always intrigued me. The concept sounds good too. I'll see if I can get a listen to one. 

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Hi @Aolama- I have LS50s also and they reportedly need a very good amp to make them sing. The Nord Amplifiers in the UK are very good (great reviews). They do not have an integrated though.. Power amps. You might be able to use a DAC with a pre-amp function. Else look at the NAD amplifiers. they used nCore technology (the best Class D in my view). Best Simon

It's been shown that class D as a class sucks.

With my limited personal experience with the technology (early ICE, Pioneer D3, Pascal) all were unlistenable junk except for the Pascal-based D-Sonic M3-800. NC500 is probably in the same class. The D-Sonic was resolving, controlled, dynamic, lean on the bass, harmonically thin, and crushed soundstage.

If you don't care about high-end sound quality, a modern class D is a good cost-conscious choice.

I'm glad this list is generating interest for others too. The Schiit passive preamp is an idea I really like. I've been resisting the idea of separates due to space constraints and higher costs but that Schiit seems to resolve both of those issues. 

I appreciate the differing opinion GUTB, and by no means am I well experienced with high end equipment. However in contrast to your opinion there are quite a few positive reviews by trade publications, a variety of forum posts and audio industry designers that laud the sonic quality of the current selection of Class D amplifiers. Personally I've heard offerings from two companies and the sound has been really great.

As all of us realize though, this audio hobby/interest is subjective so each of us will look for equipment that meets those likes. As the saying goes "to each his own". There are many opinions for both sides of the "Class D" argument. 

But okease keep the the suggestions coming!  And now I think I'll also ask for power amp suggestions!

The "Estelon" technology is probably what Class D really should be ... assuming it takes DSD in and directly switches the DSD signal. If the problem of EFI generation has been mitigated/solved then this is very pure.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 hour ago, Aolama said:

I'm glad this list is generating interest for others too. The Schiit passive preamp is an idea I really like. I've been resisting the idea of separates due to space constraints and higher costs but that Schiit seems to resolve both of those issues. 

I appreciate the differing opinion GUTB, and by no means am I well experienced with high end equipment. However in contrast to your opinion there are quite a few positive reviews by trade publications, a variety of forum posts and audio industry designers that laud the sonic quality of the current selection of Class D amplifiers. Personally I've heard offerings from two companies and the sound has been really great.

As all of us realize though, this audio hobby/interest is subjective so each of us will look for equipment that meets those likes. As the saying goes "to each his own". There are many opinions for both sides of the "Class D" argument. 

But okease keep the the suggestions coming!  And now I think I'll also ask for power amp suggestions!

It's fact, rather than an opinion, that class D is inferior. But, people's value in sound quality differs greatly. If you heard class D that sounds great, you're lucky. I would say most people online who swear by class D are on a tight budget and don't have any exposure to high end sound.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

It's fact, rather than an opinion, that class D is inferior. But, people's value in sound quality differs greatly. If you heard class D that sounds great, you're lucky. I would say most people online who swear by class D are on a tight budget and don't have any exposure to high end sound.

There are other considerations, like efficiency and space/weight. Some Class D amps can (and do) sound very, very good, others perhaps not so. The same argument exists between class A and A/B.

16 minutes ago, Aolama said:

Any more suggestions for integrated or power amp?

If on a budget and considering class D, you'd be much more well-served looking at a Chinese tube amp. China-hifi, AliExpress (Queenway Store), etc.

The Rogue Audio Sphinx you mentioned is a very nice amp. It was the amp I was to recommend when I saw the topic.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:52 PM, Aolama said:

Greetings everyone! I've been passively browsing for quit a while but now have joined the community. I'm putting together a new stereo system that will be needing an integrated amplifier. It'll be having inputs from a CD player and I'm hoping to stream music too. I'm using Kef ls50s as my speakers and am streaming through a SMSL Sanskrit and Google Chromecast Audio. 

I'm hoping to get input on selecting an integrated Class D powered amplifier. I know there must be more brands out there but I just haven't found them yet. I don't buying used but have around 900-1000 to spend. I've tried the Rogue Audio Sphinx and the Peachtree Nova 125se and am looking to try something else. If members could share their thoughts on what they've tried I would really appreciate it. 

My thoughts are that your focusing on the wrong component.  If your set on class D amp, then maybe you need to change the speakers to something more efficient.  Then you wouldn't need so much power from an amp and could focus on quality of sound instead.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)