On 3/3/2019 at 7:34 PM, PAP said:

I just downloaded the new Witmer Trio album. It is not a one mic but none the less it sounds fantastic. Check that drum sound...whew...

[video]

[/video]

I'd suggest listening to the preview on their page. This youtube upload sounds to be corrupted (e.g. the 5 kHz tone every 15 sec).

On 3/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, PAP said:

Funny I don't hear that. 

In case anyone is interested, you can find the first minute of that stream with 5250 Hz frequency boosted by ~15 dB in the attachment. The "interesting" part happens at 8 s, 22 s, 36 s and 51 s.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:51 AM, PAP said:

But anyway get the download. It's a spectacular recording.

I did, the same day (though certainly not the DXD but 24/96, and I'd likely pick 16/44 if they offered).

1min.flac

2 hours ago, PAP said:

Carmen sells the 16/44 download as well as the redbook CD on https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/.

Ah, good to know.

2 hours ago, PAP said:

Do you convert you 24/96 back to 16/44 before you listen?

On my computer at home, no, if I already have it in 24/96. But my playback there uses room correction (brutefir) which converts to 48 kHz anyway 🙂. I do convert to 16/44 and ogg vorbis ( 😱 ) for my DAP and for my computer at work.

2 hours ago, PAP said:

Do you like that sound better?

No. I don't notice any difference.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, ray-dude said:

Getting access to the 32 bit masters is a huge value add.

I guess I know too well how digital audio works to see any value in that 🙂

2 hours ago, tailspn said:

BWF (Broadcast WAV) is simply a WAV file with the ability to support metadata:

Looks to me that if the data is larger than 4 GB (which would be likely in case of surround version), then the player needs to support either the "link" chunk or the RF64 extension of the WAVE format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF64. Anyone knows how widespread the support is?

1 hour ago, tailspn said:

An acoustic recording has virtually no content above 22 bits,

Hm... considering noise floor in the studio or in the concert hall, I would expect much less.

1 hour ago, tailspn said:

The value of 32 bits is in the post processing digital manipulation to support math processes without truncation.

True. My comment was only about the value (or lack thereof) of a 32-bit file for the end user.

• 3 years later...