IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Quadman said:

Alex, thanks.  I will remove the AQ Jitterbug tonight.  That custom homemade 6" usb cable with very high quality pure silver data lines and separately shielded voltage lines has been in my system for over 1 year, with the regen and no issue ever occurred with it.  In fact when I compared it to the USBPC adaptor you sent with IR I definitely preferred my custom cable, music was more alive (not bright)  the usbpc seemed to lose dynamics and life compared to my cable, kind of like what @swl3600 reported on the other thread.

As to the IR and the T+A the T+A does some pretty good isolation of the USB and digital signal from analog signal, I think they use the same chip as you at least in separating digital from analog.  The regen or isoregen does not make a huge change with the T+A as it did say with my Chinese dac the Gustard x20 or my NAD M51 that was a OMG moment when the regen was inserted.  That said the IR does offer some additional improvement over just straight USB connection to the T+A.  Images focus a bit better, separation is noticeably better and bass tightened up just a touch, subtle but improvements.  Now I need to listen more with the usbpc vs. my cable once the disconnect issue is sorted out.  Last session was when the IR would not connect when I inserted the usbpc, I pulled it (IR) and inserted the amber regen and music played.  Switching with regular regen does not cause this behavior.

The ISO REGEN and USB REGEN handle VBUS differently. The USB REGEN has the downstream VBUS always on so even if the hub chip is in suspend mode the VBUS will still be applied to the DAC.

The ISO REGEN uses a VBUS switch controlled by the hub chip, this was necessary to make proper connections when using the USB isolator in the path. But that also means that the VBUS gets turned off when the hub  is in suspend mode. The solution is to prevent the computer from suspending the hub chip. I know how to do this for windows, but not for other OSs.

For Windows open up the device manager, click on the "Universal Serial Bus controllers". This brings up a list which should contain the line:

USB2.0 MTT Hub

This will be the ISO REGEN.

Right click on the line, click on Properties, this brings up a properties window. Click on the "Power Management" tab, make sure the line "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is un-checked. (if it is checked click on the check to un-check). Click on OK.

This should prevent the computer from suspending the hub when it has been inactive for a long time, thus keeping the connection to the DAC alive.

Let us know how this goes.

Thanks,

John S.

1 hour ago, Quadman said:

John, Thank you for the explanation.  I run windows 10 pro 64 bit, creators update.  I just fired up the PC, before doing so installed the USPCB adaptor.  Went into device manager clicked on Universal serial bus controllers and the image below is what I see The name USB2.0 MTT Hub does not appear.  I believe the IR is the top "Generic USB hub", I checked the pwr mgnt tab and the box you refer to was unchecked.  I did check all listings and only 2 others had a pwr mgnt tab, the bottom two (usb root hub) I unchecked the box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".  Any reason why device manager does not show the IR as USB2.0 MTT Hub?

Hmm, on Windows 7 it shows up as USB2.0 MTT Hub. You should be able to leave the device manager open and plug and unplug the ISO REGEN and see which line changes.

If it is unchecked and you still have the disconnection with long term non-use then we will have to do some more detective work. 

John S.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Ciukas said:

Are the supercapacitor batteries a problem at airport securities etc? I know the max limit is 99wh, but just making sure.

When the feeder supply is unplugged or turned off the supercaps are specifically discharged. After a a few seconds there is almost no charge left in them. There is about 70 mv  across the whole string after this. This is an extremely small amount of charge left in the caps. That comes out to about 0.09 watt seconds. There are 3600 watt seconds in a watt hour, so that is 0.000025 watt hour residual charge. I think it is safe to say that is well below 99 watt hour.

John S.

• 6 months later...
15 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi @JohnSwenson

If you get a spare moment can you share (at a high level) how these isolators like the Silanna chip used in the ISO REGEN actually work, i.e. how do they isolate the USB data lines? 

And is the USB ground of the ISO REGEN isolated by the Silanna chip or is that a different isolation method?

Asking these questions in another way, how does stuff actually get from one side of 'the moat' to the other side and how does this then block most of the (low impedance) leakage?

Cheers!

The reason you use an isolator is that you want to isolate the ground. The ground is where the leakage current travels so it is the critical path to isolate. The problem is that without the ground connection normal signals will not pass, since they use the ground for return current. This is where the digital isolator comes into play, it transfers digital signals across a ground break.

There are many types of digital isolators, the most famous is the optocoupler, (LED pointing at photostransistor), there are many others: transformers, capacitively coupled, radio transmitters and my favorite, GMR (Giant MagnetoResistive).

There are two things that make high speed USB difficult:

1): high speed -- HS USB runs at 480 Megabit per second (Mbps), most digital isolators do not run anywhere near that fast. Some do, but they are not easy to come by and are very expensive.

2): HS USB is a bidirectional bus, all of the digital isolators are uni-directional, you need two, one for each direction. The hard part is that the isolators need to know which end is driving the bus, the isolator or what is at the other end. There is no wire in the bus that specifies which direction the data is going in at any given time. The ONLY way to do this is a full blown USB protocol engine that follows the commands on the bus and can thus figure out which direction the bus is going at any given time.

#2 is not easy, none of the big chip companies has a chip that does this, anybody that wants to to isolate HS mode has to do this themselves, very few companies have been successful at this.

Things get more complicated for capacitive and transformer coupled isolators. Neither of these transfers a steady state, they only transfer a CHANGE in signal. This means more complex encoding so they can handle the state of a signal not just that it changed. This limits the data rate they can handle.

I don't know for sure what the Sillana uses, but I think it is capacitively coupled.

That is the overview, if you want more detail, let me know.

John S.

9 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John I will zoom in on your favourite there (GMR), if you don't mind.

Is there still capacitive coupling involved? Or is GMR as good as optical isolation (absolute zero leakage currents getting across)?

Have you played around with GMR isolation, especially with your new custom made leakage currents test gear?

GMR is magnetic, but is different than a transformer. A transformer passes change in a magnetic field, thus it cannot properly pass a steady high or low, just something changing. Thus all transformer based isolators have to send a more complicated series of changes to define a steady state signal.

GMR works differently, it has a coil that generates a magnetic field, and magnetically sensitive resistors. They change resistance with differing magnetic fields applied. Thus they inherently handle steady state signals as well as changing ones. They can run pretty fast, but are still fairly expensive.

The common optocouplers are fairly large and can't go very fast. The LPS-1 uses optocouplers all over the place to get signals between power domains. They work well for this because the signals are slow (32KHz) and the couplers are dirt cheap (40 cents per channel). GMRs are much faster (150MHz) but are much more expensive ($3 per channel). I use GMRs when I am isolating I2S signals.

Both optocouplers and GMRs have very low cpacitance, hence very good leakage isolation.

The problem with the ISO REGEN was not the isolation technology per se, but that for some reason the chip didn't work when there was a very rapidly changing voltage between the two sides. It turns out this can easily happen with older style SMPS supplies, particularly those used for residential networking equipment. Since most of you guys are using this with computer audio where residential networks are used, this happens a lot.  The only way to deal with this is to put a filter across the "moat" which slows down the edges, but also lets high impedance leakage through. In REALLY bad cases that isn't even enough which is what the switch is for.

John S.