IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

Filtering continuous noise like hiss is very different from click removal. The former is difficult to do without damaging the sound while the latter only affects the samples making up the click, and the music information in these was already destroyed.

Definitely makes sense.

21 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

I enjoy the Pristine Classical remaster of Kind of Blue.  I haven’t heard the Japanese remasters

Thanks for the information. I'm slightly addicted to getting a new version of 'KoB' every now and then so I will probably check it out sooner or later x-D My favorite is 2007 Japanese SACD remix (although in general I'm not a fan of remixing old stuff).

13 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

My question was rhetorical.

I guessed it.

13 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

About reconstruction of historic recordings with current technology tricks – I could imagine someone will adore Venus de Milo statue with hands reimagined and reattached nicely, as for myself, I am happy enough with it as it is now.

I think that this analogy is wrong. I'd compare a bad old recording full of analog clicks to a statue of a woman (meaning the original music itself in this analogy) damaged so badly that for many it's quite difficult to appreciate its beauty. If we have the artist's sketches an we know what female body looks like (we know what an orchestra in a venue with good acousitics sounds like) and recreate the sculpture according to them (apply eg equalisation to counteract very uneven frequency characteristic of an old microphone, even use convolution to make 'dry' acoustics of many old recordings sound more like in a real, good concert hall, fix wow and flutter which make in particular piano sound awful, etc) so that the final effect is a harmonious, beautiful statue of a woman (more realistic and enjoyable sound in comparison to the original noisy, distorted recording) - it's absolutely ok with me. But I obviously don't mind somebody having the opposite opinion on this. BTW I don't mind the original old delta bluesmen recordings from the 20's-30's at all. But it's usually just a vocal and an acoustic guitar not a whole orchestra (much more complex music material) which in addition should be recorded in an appropriate acoustic space to make it sound realistic.

2 hours ago, highEnd said:

there is another source of Furtwangler remasterings at http://furtwanglersound.com/....

Thanks for the information. It's interesting.

26 minutes ago, highEnd said:

Hello sphinxsix,

I have many recordings I would like to recommend to you, but I will have to give my suggestions in small doses- I hope you
don't mind.

Not at all. Quite the contrary - small doses reduce the risk of overdosing which happened to me on more than one occasion while checking music recommended on this thread :)

Linn and Channel Classics practically guarantee top-notch sound. I have some recordings issued by them but none of these. Will certainly check them out.

43 minutes ago, highEnd said:

I have many others I would like to suggest in the near future, from all periods, including some real stunners!

Thanks in advance, I'm awaiting your next posts!

@highEnd As for your early music - baroque recommendations - I'm very impressed with all of them but in particular with da Palestrina (never heard his music before) and Vivaldi 'La Stravaganza'. I think I used to be one of those who took Vivaldi for granted. Not anymore - after listening to this album. And although this was a poor quality streaming and I listened to it through my old Sony headphones I did hear low bass notes resonating in the church the music was recrded in.

As for Reiner's Sheherezade and Argerich/Abbado album - I completly agree with you - both are great recordings, I have them. The remaining ones - to be checked out. Thanks for your fantastic contribution to this (costly :)) thread,, I'm counting on your further suggestions.

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

her highly anticipated recording of Biber's Rosary sonatas discouraged me for some extent

Haven't heard it so I can't say anything. What about her Vivaldi - have you heard it? Did you like it? I liked it a lot, I'm not an expert on Vivaldi though. In fact I'd appreciate some more recommendations as far as his music is concerned. You may not include the obvious composition.

On 7.09.2017 at 5:27 PM, Musicophile said:

Just in case nevertheless, here is my recommendation for the "obvious composition":

https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/10/19/my-favorite-four-seasons-by-giuliano-carmignola/

51k41sf7afl.jpg

A very nice performance IMO too. Tempting but I haven't decided yet whether to get my 3rd version of the 4 Seasons. Actually I like 1976 Perlman recording. Anne Akiko Meyers' Guarneri violin doesn't sound that bad either :)

On 7.09.2017 at 5:27 PM, Musicophile said:

Also pretty well known but less totally obvious: The Glorias:

0709869013588_600.jpg

Yet another album that will be added to my 'Essential Vivaldi' collection, thanks. I've also chosen a very(!) different (quite grandiose and much slower) version by Riccardo Muti.

On 7.09.2017 at 10:30 PM, rando said:

Ever listened to "The Four Seasons Of Buenos Aires?

Yes, I have. Unfortunately I didn't like it (some other performace) that much. But this was long ago, maybe I should revisit this piece one more time.

@Musicophile @rando Thanks for reminding me that Jordi Savall performed Vivaldi too. That means at least one or two more JS albums in my collection.

19 hours ago, highEnd said:

I don't like to keep steering you toward such expensive downloads as the Linn,

Linn is ok :)

19 hours ago, highEnd said:

Rediscovery Catalog. These are all MP3 downloads, but DON'T let that put you off! These have been carefully remastered and have to be heard to be believed.

I admit that I avoid mp3 more than fire but based on your strong recommendation I will check these, thanks!

I didn't have enough time to check all albums recommended by you but I sampled:

On 6.09.2017 at 9:02 PM, highEnd said:

Spain
Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner
RCA Living Stereo

among others and I liked it a lot. Actually Spanish influences in classical music is the question and suggestions request for all of you guys. You can omit Jordi Savall recordings as I have explored his discography quite close not long ago.

@highEnd Thanks for your recommendations, I will check them all out step by step (unfortunately I will probably have much less free time in the next few weeks). I really appreciate your contribution and hope for more!

On 8.09.2017 at 1:13 PM, christopher3393 said:

For the very best in Vivaldi, as well as other Baroque masterpieces, look no further than Red Priest:

I'm sorry - you haven't convinced me this time. I think I don't like the classical-pop (or any other genre - pop actually) crossover in general. Very energetic performances though!

9 minutes ago, rando said:

It cracks me up that despite making a special call for no Four Seasons almost every single one of us have posted one.  

This is a lovely composition after all. I actually listened to my Perlman version yesterday. All I have to do to enjoy it (beside being in the mood for it of course) is to forget I've heard it a thousand times.

I think Zen Buddhists call it 'beginner's mind' - not always an easy thing to do :D

12 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

But you don't mean..?  ;)

..was a joke of course. I know a thing or two about Eastern philosophy and religion.

Try Sri Ramana Maharshi's 'Who Am I'

Let me recommend the above mentioned Shunryu Suzuki's book then. I read it for the first time when I was 17 or 18. The language of this great man was so simple..

the truth is beyond written texts.

That's the basic assumption of Zen Buddhism too.

Well.. I asked not to mention the 'obvious composition' (kind of 'don't think of a pink elephant' request I suppose) and I'm actually very glad so many of you guys didn't obey my suggestion!

I've just found and ordered second hand (quite cheap and cheap Telarc is a very good thing IMO) CD:

MI0001387123.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

and reminded myself some other 'unclassical' or classical in a different form 'Stagioni' like:

maxresdefault.jpg

Max-Richter-Vivaldi-The-Four-Seasons-Rec

Hence my question - do you have a favorite 'unorthodox' version of 'Four Seasons', guys?

@rando @Bob Stern You are more spaced out than I thought, guys ;)

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

I kind of like the Max Richter.

Me too.

6 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Also found this one interesting:

MI0004222876.thumb.jpg.e121e3c47bedc80986d346111b96c4a6.jpg

This sounds like a fresh perspective.

5 hours ago, rando said:

91g36yyubuL._SL1500_.jpg

The concept of this recording sounds very intriguing. Will definitely check it out.

50 minutes ago, astrotoy said:

Front EMI TWOX-1062.jpg

'Koto Vivaldi' sounds intriguing too..

49 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Update on Beethoven. Try an album with 5th and 7th by Manfred Honeck/Pittsburgh.

Thanks for this! I have to admit I'm not finished with Beethoven and Mahler yet. Will definitely check this one out too.

I will have very little time in the next days possibly weeks - I'm moving to the Netherlands, Amsterdam area (which actually is my dream place :) Hope everything goes well). Unfortunately I will have to leave my main system for at least some weeks. Just my old Sony headphones and the desktop. Hope I will survive this situation somehow. Thanks once more to everybody for their contribution. I'm not finished with classical - quite the opposite. I promise :)

18 minutes ago, rando said:

Winter in the lowlands.

Low-lands.. high;)lands.. it's all so relative..

19 minutes ago, rando said:

instead 'playing indoor sports' like collecting new music.  

I'm afraid I'm addicted to this sport. It's better than some other addictions.

Ok, I'm in the Netherlands. Quite tired after the journey. Do not even feel like listening to the music. Did I write about the desktop, errr.. it's actually a laptop.

On 16.09.2017 at 8:33 PM, highEnd said:

I strongly recommend an Audioquest Dragonfly Black or Red.

Yeah, I know it's quite good. Even a cheap sound card makes my (quite prehistoric) headphones sound better than while using the in-built one. But I'm not a headphone guy - I use them mostly to listen to the music on my phone and for quick checks on my laptop so I'm not very determined to invest any money in this area. I can hear much more using my loudspeakers and I do all the 'serious' listening in this way.

On 16.09.2017 at 8:56 PM, Musicophile said:

Enjoy Amsterdam! Great city!

I agree in 200% - absolutely my favorite one! I hope I will, thanks. I also hope for some good classical live music enjoyment before my main system arrives here.

7 hours ago, tdimler said:

Give this recording a try.

t61050162-b396619040_s400.jpg

Thanks, I certainly will.

7 hours ago, accwai said:

Hmm... to be honest I know very little about Zen, but it sounds very strange that mind of the beginner is the same as the enlightened mind

I admit that I know very little about Zen too. My understanding is that the beginner's mind is mind emptied of concepts, preconceived ideas etc. I read the book quite long ago - for the first time when I was 17-18 I believe but I've never forgotten what is probably most popular quotation from this book:  "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few."

If I recall, beginner's mind and no mind are similar but not the same. They are similar in the sense of the beginning and ending of a musical scale. So they are like octaves. But they are not the same pitch. And there are like 11 semi-tones between them :)

I don't know much about 'no' or 'enlightened' mind (unfortunately) but I just love this analogy.

So what's the sound of one hand clapping? :)

You tell me! ;)

I thought "da Palestrina" is the group that performs in the album. The music here is Elizabethan. The composer Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina was Italian and worked mostly in Rome. He probably wouldn't be composing English music.

Are you sure we're talking the same album.?

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-giovanni-pierluigi-da-palestrina-hdcd.aspx

From Linn site: ' An exuberant performance of Da Palestrina's cycle of motets by the virtuosic choir Magnificat. '

@accwai I haven't read Soho book. I know quite many Zen and Tibetan texts and books though. In recent years I got in particular interested in Dzogchen. I can recomennd eg these two books:

350x535_self_perfected.jpg  51hdr7U-3FL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

But books are books, words are words and although both are worthwile in a way, IMHO nothing can replace direct contact with a true Master, face to face.

And BTW life in the Netherlands is just great (well..I actually knew it before moving here). The only disatvantages being fast changing weather (it rains sometimes a couple of times a day and meanwhile you've got sunshine) and the monotony of flat landscape - the highest point of the country being Vaalserberg - 322m..(I actually sold my mountain bike to a friend before coming here) Oh, I almost forgot - the Dutch speak quite weird sounding language I don't understand. Fortunately they all speak English too.

I think that although I'm quite busy right now I'm slowly getting ready for the next chapters of my classical adventure. I hope for your further cooperation guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I must say this is yet another example of synchronicity I've experienced on this forum - just a couple of days before Mozart topic appeared I came to the conclusion that I'd love to ask about what Mozart recordings I shouldn't miss. I actually started my classical collection with WAM and it's probably most careless part of it. Unfortunately I don't have my hard drives here in the Netherlands yet so the potetntial downloads will have to wait but I'd love to get your opinions on this, guys.

And one more request - Albinoni Adagio for strings and organ recommendations please - been streaming it (borrowed a cheap computer speaker from a friend which is a nice addition to my cans) obsessively recently and I actually don't have it.

And BTW - this is how the Dutch Railways welcome their passengers in Amsterdam Central Station - not their original idea but I like it anyway (cell phone photo, sorry).

20170929_163119_1.thumb.JPG.d34ceeeeccb12065cad9fac942817261.JPG

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your response. As I said earlier I have very little free time now but will check out all the suggestions I'm not familiar with little by little.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

Note that the “Albinoni” is actually a 20th century composition of Remo Giazotto, and there is still a lot of debate how much of Albinoni, if at all, is actually in there. 

Yes, I know that.

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

That said, I kind of like it and typically go back to Karajan for this. 

That's actually the version I (quite accidentally) streamed most often recently.

17 hours ago, rando said:

Based on your description and time constraints...

I'm not a big fan of opera. Yet. But maybe one day I'll start a thread 'Essential Opera'. As far as music is concerned I'm still not certain where my exploration will lead me to. And where it will end. If it ever will (a remark for reincarnation enthusiasts ;)). So thanks.

3 hours ago, accwai said:

According to Wikipedia:..

It's actually all that I knew about this composition (the same source)

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Actually, there is no proof at all that even a single note of this was ever written by Albinoni:

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/18137/albinoni-adagio-g-minor-biggest-fraud

This is actually quite contradictory :)

Thanks for Albinoni recommendations, guys. It was inevitably going to be my next question.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Was it really important, who wrote the piece?

I think it is always important and to really know whether something was true or fraud.

In fact frauds sometimes make more interesting stories eg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_van_Meegeren

Some more recommendations besides Suzuki and Herreweghe (thanks @AnotherSpin, appreciated as usual) as for Mozart's Requiem, guys? I will definitely be ready spend some more time exploring this one.

15 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I believe something becomes true or fraud in somebody mind.

I (being an objective subjectivist ;)) believe there is some 'objective' reality in which there is sometimes a substantial difference between historical truth and fraud. Would it be a meaningless fact for you if it proved that eg Miles Davis had been a fake black man for some mysterious reason? ;)

(BTW I'm 0% racist in every sense)