IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

On 31.07.2017 at 6:53 PM, rando said:

Which is why it bothers me a little how much I've liked the two albums of transcriptions for harp Lavinia Meijer has made of various works by Philip Glass.

Got them too and I agree - they're very good. There seems to be some nice compatibilty between minimalist music and harp - Simeon ten Holt's Canto Ostinato played on this instrument by Assia Cunega (one of two versions I've bought) is awesome too.

How about 'spiritual' music of 20th century, guys -- are there some other names worth checking out beside Pärt , Tavener and Gorecki.? BTW did you know that Pärt has been the most performed living composer in the world for five consecutive years.?

https://www.calvertjournal.com/news/show/5271/estonian-arvo-paert-listed-as-most-performed-living-composer

14 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

You may try Angel of Light or Cantus Arcticus. There is a recording of both conducted by Vänskä on BIS.

For me it's genuinly heartfelt music that is deeply rooted in romanticism. I like it a lot! Will get the BIS recording you recommended. Thanks!

Continuing the Finnish thread - some more recommendations as for Sibelius music, guys.?

I've ordered selected Sibelius symphonies conducted by all three above mentioned gentlemen :)

Checking the other 20th century music recommendations.

Meanwhile - next question that's been inspired directly by this album posted by @christopher3393 on AotE thread:

MI0000969741.jpg

and may be a tough one. Can someone recommend some other folk/ethno inspired/connected early music.?

What I meant was local music influenced early music.

And BTW I asked earlier about Eastern influences in early music and found eg Marcel Peres and Ensemble Organum very interesting. Are there some other fine examples of classical music of later periods being influenced by Eastern (Middle or Far) music.?

As usual - thanks in advance.

@christopher3393 I have Gergiev/Kirov Sheherezade SACD (Reiner/Chicago being an alternative), haven't heard Antar though - to be checked out (just like Lou Harrison, haven't heard of him)

@AnotherSpin Thanks for your interesting as usual suggestions. Lots of stuff to check out - which is great. What compositions/recordings by Borodin, Balakirev, Delibes, Roussel,  Amirov and Radigue would you recommend?

@Bob Stern I like Jordi Savall a lot. I mentioned it on this thread. However I decided after reading your post to take much closer look at his (huge!) discography than I ever did. Took me 5 or 6 hours..  But I don't regret.

I've picked up 15 albums - out of which 10 are recordings strongly influenced by or representing let's say 'local' (ethnic) music (the two albums recommended by @christopher3393 included).

I didn't know that sources of his inspiration were so incredibly diverse - from (obviously) Spain through Middle East (well, I knew about it) to Far East and his collaboration with Japanese musicians, Balkan, Celtic and even African music (actually IMO the least interesting recording of all that I've checked out, maybe I just know too much good African stuff). And as much as I am not into eg Balkan or Celtic stuff - he performs it in such a soulful, heartfelt way that it simply gets me hooked in a moment or two. His Alia Vox recordings sound good too (at least the ones I have so I hope it's a rule) - the instruments and voices have 'body' and there is lots of recording venue reverbation or even echo.

A very (musically) exciting day - I can't recall when was the last time I picked up so much good stuff in one day. My credit card seems not that happy though..

For me this thread is really an exciting journey! Thanks once again for all your contribution and for the inspiration, guys!

On 17.08.2017 at 8:18 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Borodin wrote some melodies of breathtaking beauty.

That's true - I know his 'In the Steppes of Central Asia' from the above mentioned Gergiev SACD ( Balakirev's Islamey is included on this album too). His 'Polovtsian Dances' are even more beautiful IMO. Some performances suggestions, guys.?

As for Terry Riley - IMO his music is very interesting but my ears have a problem with digesting the quite primitive sound of his keyboards..

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

unless you support Putin

You know my attitude towards Putin. I expressed it on more than one occasion (although his politics don't affect me directly).

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Gergiev is no-no

I actually like his expressive interpretation of Sheherezade. And I know I'm not alone here.

And he's definitely better than Putin playing piano on the video I posted here some months ago, don't you agree.? ;)

@AnotherSpin @Musicophile

Thanks, guys. I managed to stream it meanwhile. I didn't listen to Prokofiev. As for Rach 3PC - I tend to agree with you - she's IMO technically very good but somehow doesn't go as deep into this piece as some others (eg Argerich) do. As for orchestra - let's say nothing exceptional either. I think I already have a dozen of Rach 3rds and I can skip this one. Maybe I'll check Prokofiev 2nd some other time.

3 hours ago, rando said:

Czech custom bike maker

Custom so I assume you didn't mean Czech 'Author' brand.

3 hours ago, rando said:

Make no mistake about this being a bike for the cobbles and field paths where breaking apart under force and vibration can be a concern.

There were quite many carbon mountain bikes though.

3 hours ago, rando said:

they harmonically tune their carbon tubes to the same frequency to avoid unwelcome resonance

This is really interesting. Adds slightly different dimension to the word 'tuning'.

3 hours ago, rando said:

Bands that haven't subsumed an amorphous overly polished sound.

You mean - pop or rock bands?

On 31.08.2017 at 10:31 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Jarvi

On 1.09.2017 at 0:09 AM, Musicophile said:

Järvi

I've managed to check out today some parts that I really like of his Beethoven symphonies. Sound like honey to my ears. Will definitely order the whole set. The two complete SACD sets I have are Haitink (LSO) and Karajan (DG 60's recordings). Going to check out more of your recommendations, guys but it will probably take a week or two.

On 1.09.2017 at 11:25 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Furtwangler wartime recordings

I usually avoid recordings from the 50's and earlier times but actually have three Beethoven symphonies conducted by Furtwangler from 1950-54 and I think they're great (the sound is let's say acceptable for me). Haven't heard his wartime performances though.

On 31.08.2017 at 10:31 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Mahler sets - Kubelik (Audite), Bernstein (Sony), Haitink.

For Mahler, Kubelik and Abbado are pretty safe bets, but I also like Zinman

I'm glad Bernstein and Haitink are quite well represented in my Mahler selection. The other performances you recommend - to be checked out. That's lots of 'work' again.. Which is great.

Ivan Fischer on Channel Classics

Got three Fischer Mahler SACDs and I agree - the sound is truely audiophile. I like the performances too although there are movements in which I happen to prefer eg slightly heavier, darker Bernstein's interpretation . Anyway probably will be tempted to get some more Fischer sooner or later.

Thanks for your response, guys. I really appreciate it.

And BTW - how about Mahler's 'Das Lied von der Erde'.? (I have Bernstein - Israel Philharmonic and that's the only version I know in its entirety).

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

1. The full cycle by Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony 

2. The partial cycle by Benjamin Zander and the Philharmonia Orchestra 

MTT - one of my versions of 1st.

BZ - one of the 6ths of my choice.

Both - IMO very convincing. Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll check their other symphonies.

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

And any one interesting in Mahler should listen to Barbirolli's versions of 5th and 6th - they are absolutely outstanding.

Two of my favorite Mahler symphonies. I will certainly check Barbirolli's versions, thanks.

22 hours ago, mansr said:

That's one way of looking at it. In a recording, the difference between the true signal and the actual signal is noise. If removing a click reduces this difference, that's generally a good thing. Adding to the sound and removing from it are the same thing, noise.

15 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Is it possible to reduce most part of the noises and keep true signal in its entirety?

In my experience - no. Eg early Miles Davis CD editions with filtered (removed) noise didn't sound that good. The later remasters with clearly audible tape hiss had much more musical detail and nuance. Just check out 'Kind of Blue', 'Bitches Brew' or the original Sony masterings of 'Agharta' and 'Pangaea' versus later Japanese remasters (I put quite lots of effort and money to get these two, unfortunately they haven't been issued in hi-res yet).

So in genaral I'm against such 'improvements'. I prefer to hear tape hiss :)

However.. I checked out Furtwangler's Beethoven 9th from Lucerne Festival 1954 https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc261 (mono 24bit) from Pristine Classical recommended by @rando (thanks!) and IMO it sounds just fantastic in comparison to Tahra 2008 SACD (the original 1994 CD edition received Gramophone Award for best historic non-vocal recording!) I have. The SACD sounds very brittle and dry with very little reverberation. The Pristine Classical XR remaster is IMO much more realistic timbrally - warmer and fuller has more realistic (added!) reverb and bass extension which makes timpani sound like ..well timpani. Really well done, just check it out for yourselves, guys. I'd personally highly recommend their XR remasters (https://www.pristineclassical.com/pages/xr-remastering) of historic recordings based on the above mentioned albums comparison.

I've never heard Opus Kura remasters though.