IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

2 hours ago, mourip said:

Excellent looking tool. Thanks!

Question. I am making IC's with the new Duelund 20ga wire to replace my already nice Belden IC's. These Duelund ICs continue to amaze. I am nearing the end of my ancient roll of silver "Wonder Solder" and am now considering a solder purchase.

Any suggestions? Does silver content help? Do I need rosin core and why? Is cleanup an issue with rosin core? What is a good diameter for general audio DIY?

Thanks!

Mourip,

On solders, Wonder Solder has been my go-to solder since it came out in the 80s (on something like my 7th or 8th roll now just for my DIY projects). Not only did I notice a sonic difference compared to the generic Radio Shack (RIP) stuff, but it was easier to work with and made better joints. 

The latest version is not quite as good from a usability perspective, but better sonically.

I haven't spent much time comparing different solders, but did try the Mundorf Silver/Gold solder several years back. I thought it was a bit better than the Wonder Solder, but much harder to use and making what I considered was a good joint was challenging. I've not tried a recent roll, it may be different today.

I am quite sure that others work as well and suspect the right 'non-audiophile' solder may work as well and sound as good. BUT I don't have as much DIY time as I need already, so I stick with the tried and true and more solder comparisons are not happening soon.

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

2 systems... Well-Tempered Refs->ET-2.5->DIY or Lounge LCR MkII phono stages

Standalone digital Sony HAP Z1-ES or SDTrans384/Soekris DAM DAC

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

1 minute ago, mozes said:

Congrats there you go now. Officially joined the DIY gang :)

+1. Way to go Rajiv!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

Networked digital Zotac PI320-W2 LMS Server -> EtherRegen -> USBBridge Sig -> Katana / Ian GB / Soerkis / Buffalo-IIIPro DACs

Passive S&B TX102 TVC or ladder attenuators -> BHK-250 -> Eminent Tech LFT-VIII / IV / VI

ALL gear modified / DIY'd; cables MIT;  all supplies DIY’d or LPS-1.2s w/HUGE Ultracaps; Audio gear on DIY AC filters + PS Aud P15s; misc gear on separate AC w/filters

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Cornan said:

Does this mean that even if the two LT3045 boards are completely matched (voltage and amperage) from the maker they still need resistors in series with each board?

I understand that a single board is optimal, but does that neccessarily make two separate boards a bad idea? Better without it completely if you use it in the DC cable path (close to the powered device)? The only thing you want to acheive using two boards is for devices requiring more than 1A. 

Cornan,

Have I got a solution for you! A fellow in Germany made up some paralleled LT3045 boards and is selling them on DIYAudio here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/310402-fs-ultra-low-noise-power-supply-lt3045-based-pcb-post5227003.html

He has both boards with 2 sections of 3 paralleled LT3045 each (1.5A / section) and boards with a single section of 6 paralleled LT3045 for 3A. He'll sell raw boards (what I got), boards with the LT3045 already installed, or finished & tested boards

I just built one of the dual section boards up and it is working swimmingly powering my SDTrans384 SD Card player (which really only pulls 400mA max). I used .1% resistors to set the V-outs instead of the pots he shows and the 2 sides measured a measly .01V difference (4.92V & 4.93V). Each side is fed from an LPS-1 & are paralleled for 3A output max, overkill in this application.

Problem solved!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Greg

You need to be careful here. The text book implementations of these ensures a very low ESR, which favours upper HF detail. Unless you change a few input capacitor types and values you may end up with overly etched HF detail.

This shouldn't  happen with Digital, but it does , ;) even with SATA filters. The later SATA filters use much larger value electros which help to ensure a more balanced sound. (Previously I had a good play around with DIY SATA filters using L & C.)

Regards

Alex 

fwut.jpg

Alex,I totally agree with your point. While I didn't have that in mind when I first tried one of the paralleled LT304x boards, I suspect the reason they've worked so well is that they are really designed as small power supply units with AC input from a transformer and a significant amount of capacitance (~18,000uF) on each half. AND they do retain good small hi-frequency bypass capacitors before and after the regs as suggested by the datasheets. 

Thanks for pointing this out!

Greg in Mississippi

Everything Matters!

19 hours ago, sandyk said:

Hi Greg

Not bad !
Were they Naked Bulk Metal Foil Resistors, or a less expensive item ?
For the less experienced members, the results are of course governed by the actual reference voltage of the voltage regulator I.C. used, not so much by the actual measured resistance values of the close tolerance resistors (1% or better) when used with a less precise voltage regulator. (Most DMMs don't have enough resolution to accurately measure close tolerance low value resistors)

Kind Regards

Alex

Warning - Information Overload.
(An  experienced DIY person can  also further reduce the voltage difference of the higher voltage output regulator by retro fitting a parallel metal film resistor of > 100 times the value across the higher value resistor of the 2 voltage setting resistors, usually under the PCB.

If the Voltage regulator uses through hole resistors, it is possible to slightly increase the output voltage of a voltage regulator by replacing the lower value of the 2 resistors used, with a 1% resistor that measures a fraction lower than the original.

You can also reduce the output voltage slightly by slightly increasing the measured value of this resistor, or decreasing slightly the value of the higher value resistor of the 2 voltage setting resistors. With the latter, you can  also use a very high value (>100 times) resistor in parallel with it instead of replacing it.)

Susumu SMD. Very reasonably priced & my 'Tweak Mentor' says they approach nude Vishays in SQ. 

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S.  Great tip on adjusting regulator output V. 

Everything Matters!

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Alex,

Thanks for that... very interesting. Useful to see he found Susumu to work ok.

When I first tried some SMD resistors in the interest of keeping leads short in a feedback loop (I could solder them right across the device's pins), I tried some 'thick film' ones thinking they'd be better. Not so, the thin-film ones turn out to be the SMD metal films. 

The particular Susumu line I tend to use are the RG. Generally when I'm building something using SMD R's, I'll sub them in even if the BOM shows something else. 

AND occasionally I scratch build SMD circuits on protoboards... so far good results, I'm waiting for one to oscillate into oblivion!

Greg in Mississippi

IMAG4053.jpg

Alt I-V-Output Stage Bottom.jpg

Alt I-V-Output Stage Top.jpg

Everything Matters!

Deleted, supposed to be a PM.

Greg Stewart

Everything Matters!