IGNORED

Just got a Yggdrasil!

43 minutes ago, crenca said:

what is the point of a wide band amplifier?   

similar to the argument for electrostatic speakers -- in both cases you can use them as bug zappers

(tho the wide band amp is used to power a microwave beam, and is thus not the pure electrical solution the electrostatic speaker is)

Summary:

Mani hears:

grating opening cymbals

overall weird holographic sound

metallic bass 

hollow piano

HF junk in background

George hears at least some of that to a lesser extent as well.

All on a single test file.

Do I have that more or less correct?

Can you guys try a different test file, esp. with cymbals (and maybe snares)?  And maybe soe female vocals?

And does anyone else hear these differences?

I find soundstaging to be nice and fun, but not essential.  I think a lot of what panel speaker people worry about re spacing from walls is the collapse of the soundstage, but they still sound good in other ways if slammed right up to the rear wall.

Here are some fun facts relating to wall reflections and soundstaging (when present in the recording to begin with):

Lateral Reflections percieved as echos or iinaudible or spaciousness.jpeg

re: if smearing is ultrasonic will you hear it?

hate to make things more complicated, but there was a research paper I saw the other day to the effect that humans can perceive infrasonics that they cannot hear.... so....

(I am still working on just moving my speakers around...)

6 hours ago, semente said:

How up/down if our ears are horizontally aligned?

they are not completely symmetrical, even in humans - for important vertical localization (e.g owls) the asymmetry is pronounced

shape of the ear canal may play a part also

shape of the pinna does affect things, and differs from one individual to another - I don't have any cites for humans tho

the neural system can indeed self organize to the best of its ability to accommodate, OTOH do you want to put your poor brain to "all that work" to enjoy a hobby?

OTO,OH do you want to put your poor brain to "all that work" to test different components, calculate absorption coeffs., and find Helmholtz Resonators of the right size to deal with it all?

George, ignore that and try listening to the pbs series on recording technologies, which has some rap and hip-hop at the end.

I'd venture that any rap on pbs would be ... um... elevated (if not boosted, or lifted).

I'm not fond of rap either, but I acknowledge the honesty & innovation in that genre

"pop" means popular

it is like folk art - much will be swill but some great art can arise from any mass cultural phenomenon

saying it was not music was overboard

yes, the Dead allowed audience recordings, so they are legal - trading Dick's Picks would not be (at least in the US)

• 1 month later...