IGNORED

Best way to play sacd-iso MCH

5 hours ago, Brewie said:

Kal, you are right, but I mentioned that it was copied.  I just thought it would be helpful for newbies to have it all in one place.

While I appreciate your intentions, I do not believe it is sufficient (or even legal) to exclude proper attributions.  I am personally incensed by your post of my writing without specific link or reference.   

In fact, it would be better to have made a single post with a title and link for each of the topics covered.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, harriek said:

No link, you will have to find your own source, sorry. I can only say it is Russian-made firmware. Yes it also works with the 203.

I do not have my Oppo's connected to lan....

But I will look into it in time.

I will not go online with my Oppo's (Russian firmware, something with an old Greek town and a horse...)

2 hours ago, harriek said:

I will not go online with my Oppo's (Russian firmware, something with an old Greek town and a horse...)

From WikiPedia

Troy was a city in the far northwest of the region known in late Classical antiquity as Asia Minor, now known as Anatolia in modern Turkey, .............................................The present-day location is known as Hisarlik. 

Kal Rubinson

Just now, harriek said:

I thought it was conquered by a Greek coalition and therefore you can call it Greek? I do know it is Turkey now. Oh well, you know what place was ment...

You can make that case but, if it was conquered by a bunch of Greeks, it must have pre-existed.  Was it originally Luwian?

Kal Rubinson

On 10/18/2018 at 11:41 AM, bobbmd said:

I assume you have ripped your SACD's- I never understood why you would this as you now have a digital copy so how can you get the full expression of the SACD?

Bob, 

I’ve ripped my entire SACD collection to my NAS using an old PS3 and its fantastic. 

Its a two step procedure:

first run the free sacd_extract program on the NAS to accept the ISO and then run the free iso2dsf program to split the ISO into DSF files.

The “full expression” of the SACD remains in the DSD encoded DSF files.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, bobbmd said:

@Kal Rubinson & @harriek: thanks Kal as i said it's just my ear 'observations' but as i said hardly listen to them anymore just listen my 'library' that is on iTunes(try not to use THAT anymore) as  all my 'ripped music is on TIDAL Qobuz ROON and Audirvana+3 anyway the sound probably is 'equal' as you say. Plus i have hundreds of extensive playlists(regular and 'Masters/MQA) on all the above services and 2 players using the 2 DACs i mentioned and i am in audiophile heaven so to speak- i especially enjoy playing with 2.1 vs 7.1 vs DSP plx music vs pl2 music vs prologic (enhanced and otherwise) vs various venues ie the Bottom Line/Hall in Munich,Vienna, Freiburg, The Roxy Theater  Classical-Opera etc vs  surround sound enhanced surround etc on my rather ancient Yamaha rx-v2500 AVR

thanks for your input also harriek still have no desire to invest in equipment like Oppo etc just to rip SACDs and my CFO would never allow it anyway!!

bobbmd

this could only happen if your setup for playing the ripped files is worse than for the disc - say a cheap DAC and PS vs. an Accuphase or ARC disc player

or... your perception is being influenced by visual inputs or some other variable unrelated to SQ

but do whatever you like the best - if your aesthetic experience is enhanced by playing a disc, do it - similarly for some of the better scotches, burgundies, or even... absinthe 

• 2 weeks later...

@Brewie  when you use CUE splitters, it may be desirable to care about how a tool split audio: by blocks or samples. Because splitting by blocks can cause getting begin of next track at end of previous. In some cases it can be matter.
Read details here ["Sound quality" part] https://samplerateconverter.com/flac/flac-cue-splitter

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 9 months later...

Hi Kal,

the list with devices here is however the most complete I can find anywhere in the Internet.

Obviously it would be nice if more formats are added like iso, flac, dts…… but ok.

Your special MCH solution with 3 Stereo DACs is very special and perhaps for most people a bit too complicated.

I prefer to keep it simple: NAS -> OPPO -> AVR -> 5.1 speakers 

Soon there will be AVR's with DAC's like the ESS9038 pro included that can handle it all and the route will be NAS -> AVR -> 5.1 Speakers.

Hopefully this is not taking too long anymore. All technology is available; the big ones (Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer etc.) just need to bring it all together now. I guess it is a matter of price.

7 hours ago, Brewie said:

Your special MCH solution with 3 Stereo DACs is very special and perhaps for most people a bit too complicated.

Agreed but it opens up the number of possible multichannel-capable DACs for those with particular interests.

I prefer to keep it simple: NAS -> OPPO -> AVR -> 5.1 speakers 

Could be simpler if the AVR was more capable.

Soon there will be AVR's with DAC's like the ESS9038 pro included that can handle it all and the route will be NAS -> AVR -> 5.1 Speakers.

Exactly if/when this happens.

Hopefully this is not taking too long anymore. All technology is available; the big ones (Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer etc.) just need to bring it all together now. I guess it is a matter of price.

No, it is not a matter of price.  It is a matter of having the manufacturers recognize the value of including this feature.  So far, afaik, only Trinnov has done this.

Kal Rubinson

Harrie, good to hear that you are also happy with the Oppo 205 🙂 One is enough for me though....

I cannot complain either about it, but I miss some comfort in navigating through my NAS via the OPPO.

Looking at some new announced AVR's there might be some on the horizon that can handle the Job: Pioneer SC-LX904, Onkyo TX-RZ3400 , Marantz SR8013 or the Yamaha CX-A5200 + MX-A5200. All look very promising in their specs.

I am waiting for the first reviews to understand more about their MCH DAC & Streaming capabilities. 

Reading some of the AVR reviews on the audiosciencereview website (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/) let me doubt that AVRs are the the best solution for MCH DAC & Streaming of my NAS content...… latest Pioneer and NAD models were defenitely a desaster and I doubt that Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Arcam, Anthem and the others are much better……...   

Finally someone is testing DAC's and amplifiers in a neutral non-subjective way. Most of the Audio reviews that we get to read just copy some of the specs and  give a "mostly" very personal review on how it all sounds. 

41 minutes ago, Brewie said:

Reading some of the AVR reviews on the audiosciencereview website (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?reviews/) let me doubt that AVRs are the the best solution for MCH DAC & Streaming of my NAS content...… latest Pioneer and NAD models were defenitely a desaster and I doubt that Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Arcam, Anthem and the others are much better……...   

Confirmed.  None of the prepros I have reviewed are suitable for multichannel streaming and I will assume that the AVR versions are no better.  Of necessity, my solution has always been to use an external music player with HDMI output or with a multichannel DAC.

Kal Rubinson