IGNORED

Group Test: USB gadgets (AQ Jitterbug, Uptone Regen, iFi iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iPurifier2, UPDATE on p.15…)

Their is no such thing as the type of circuit mapping you claim. Please post a link to a white paper if I am wrong.

There isn't a need for any "whitepaper" here. This is a necessity if you want to design and improve an audio circuit.

Have you ever designed an audio electronic circuit?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

There isn't a need for any "whitepaper" here. This is a necessity if you want to design and improve an audio circuit.

Have you ever designed an audio electronic circuit?

So basically you made that statement up (unless you can provide some support)

Yashn I really like your posts about how to design a system and the importance of isolation. This last post seemed to venture into quantum physics or star wars technology. Please keep it real bruh

So basically you made that statement up (unless you can provide some support)

Yashn I really like your posts about how to design a system and the importance of isolation. This last post seemed to venture into quantum physics or star wars technology. Please keep it real bruh

On the contrary, you're the only one mentioning "quantum physics" and "star wars technology".

Just because you do not have the slightest clue what it takes to design, measure and listen to create and enhance great audio circuits doesn't mean other people don't or aren't serious about it.

You comment on things you know nothing about. You may be fooling only yourself here.

Additionally, I think your suggestions of listening to current music with conversion to Auro 3D or other newer means of artificially created surround are laughable.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

On the contrary, you're the only one mentioning "quantum physics" and "star wars technology".

Just because you do not have the slightest clue what it takes to design, measure and listen to create and enhance great audio circuits doesn't mean other people don't or aren't serious about it.

You comment on things you know nothing about. You may be fooling only yourself here.

Additionally, I think your suggestions of listening to current music with conversion to Auro 3D or other newer means of artificially created surround are laughable.

Although you talked a lot in this thread you have actually communicated 0 about your claims to mapping. First you throw it out, then you say it only applies to your system, then you can't post and kind of reference to anywhere.

I claim to like Auro 3D. i posted pics of my system, posted a white paper on how to set it up, amd have posted links to others experience who like it.

It seems like I back up my claims, you just don't happen to agree which is in the spirit of this board.

You STILL haven't posted one thing to back up your claim and seem to be upset that I asked.

I am waiting for a link, an article, anything or it appears you just mad it up, no offense. Subjective opinions are nice to have, but pretending they are objective is just that... pretending,

Auro 3D is off topic for this thread so i stared another one here-

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/why-haven%3Bt-you-tried-immersive-3d-audio-yet-31490/

BTW, are you saying you prefer the older artificial means of sound creation? (Clément Ader demonstrated the first two-channel audio system in Paris in 1881) As opposed to the newer ones developed on modern studies of psychoacoustic science and understanding of technology from this century?

If you are still using tech from the 1800's exclusively I wouldn't be laughing if I were you. They have immersive 3D audio in cars, headphones (DTS headphone X), Why wait?Just asking.

BTW, are you saying you prefer the older artificial means of sound creation?

I don't do artificial surround like you do, it's a gimmick.

I have Audio which was actually mixed and mastered for surround originally, and in high-res, as opposed to you.

Car audio, eh?

Why don't you try designing your own audio circuit (and not for car audio, and not for artificial surround) first and come back?

Auro 3D is off topic for this thread so i stared another one here-

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/why-haven%3Bt-you-tried-immersive-3d-audio-yet-31490/

Looks like the first reply by someone I don't know there is 'gimmicky'. It seems you haven't got the message.

Although you talked a lot in this thread you have actually communicated 0 about your claims to mapping.

My claims? Anyone who is building and enhancing their own audio circuit would do what I am doing.

First you throw it out, then you say it only applies to your system, then you can't post and kind of reference to anywhere.

Yes, the measurements and mapping apply to my own system. Do you have an iFi iDSD Nano? Do you listen to Quad-rate DSD? Do you have a Single-Ended Triode Tube Amp? Have you built your own Custom USB Connector? Have you built your own low-noise Linear Regulated Power Supply?

Do you know anything at all about Electronic Circuit Design, Audio Circuit Design, Measurements, at all?

I'm afraid the whitepaper you are looking for was just flushed earlier in my toilet with your lame and worthless arguments.

You STILL haven't posted one thing to back up your claim and seem to be upset that I asked.

I don't need to convince you: It is rather foolish to ask for a whitepaper for something which makes basic sense when you are building and improving on an audio circuit.

I am waiting for a link, an article, anything or it appears you just mad it up, no offense. Subjective opinions are nice to have, but pretending they are objective is just that... pretending,

Go back to listening to your car audio and Auro 3D, troll.

I don't do artificial surround like you do, it's a gimmick.

I have Audio which was actually mixed and mastered for surround originally, and in high-res, as opposed to you.Car audio, eh?Why don't you try designing your own audio circuit (and not for car audio, and not for artificial surround) first and come back?

Yashn, what about 2 channel stereo is "natural"? A band on a stage is NOT stereo.

If you prefer tech from the last century I have no beef. In my rig I can press a button and get two channel, press a button and get 5 channel, or press a button and get "immersed".

Please share, what was you experience in your listening room when you compared 3D audio to two channel, I'm curious? What type of processor did you use?

Looks like the first reply by someone I don't know there is 'gimmicky'. It seems you haven't got the message.

It seems they have 0 experience, why would you rely on a post like that? Read the book I referenced, or at least chapter 15, you will find it more reliable than just my opinion or the guy who posted.

My claims? Anyone who is building and enhancing their own audio circuit would do what I am doing.

Yes, the measurements and mapping apply to my own system. Do you have an iFi iDSD Nano? Do you listen to Quad-rate DSD? Do you have a Single-Ended Triode Tube Amp? Have you built your own Custom USB Connector? Have you built your own low-noise Linear Regulated Power Supply?

Do you know anything at all about Electronic Circuit Design, Audio Circuit Design, Measurements, at all?I'm afraid the whitepaper you are looking for was just flushed earlier in my toilet with your lame and worthless arguments.

I don't need to convince you: It is rather foolish to ask for a whitepaper for something which makes basic sense when you are building and improving on an audio circuit.

Go back to listening to your car audio and Auro 3D, troll.

You may not like my arguments but at least i support them with third party references. You seem to be making it up as you go along far as I can tell. I didn't say you have a problem with circuits although you still haven't really posted any relevant supports.

So you seem to know a lot about why 3D audio is not good. OK. Please tell me what processor you used in your setup when you auditioned it at home? Why is it the people at CES who wrote about their actual audition didn't say anything about gimmick but instead posted they were going to install it at home?

troll? You are the one insulting and name calling and using bathroom references, not me bruh...

Hey DM, are you done with the testing or will you have further review/analysis?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

I compared a Wired 4 Sound RUR, Uptone Regen and a IFi USB 3.0. I used two Curious cables with these devices to keep things constant and powered them all off a HDPlex LPS. The RUR and Regen had a slight effect, they both narrowed the sound stage a little and a slightly lowered of my bass impact . The IFi had no effect at all. I think these comparisons told me more about my system and how well it’s designed than about the effectiveness of these devices.

I compared a Wired 4 Sound RUR, Uptone Regen and a IFi USB 3.0. I used two Curious cables with these devices to keep things constant and powered them all off a HDPlex LPS. The RUR and Regen had a slight effect, they both narrowed the sound stage a little and a slightly lowered of my bass impact . The IFi had no effect at all. I think these comparisons told me more about my system and how well it’s designed than about the effectiveness of these devices.

What is your source? Seems to me, if you have no noise or grounding related issues with your source, adding a device to fix them should not effect the sound. The IFi seems to have the correct behavior.

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

You can't fix an issue that wasn't there and hope a purchase doesn't degrade what you have. Balanced with what's a reasonable spend for you. It's why breaking out circuits from thier flag ships into little metal boxes is a good strategy leveraging R+D costs.

I am finding Power cleaning first then take advantage of a great thread like this to polish your transport with DM'S first hand opinions.

Really glad he took the time to help us all?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Hey DM, are you done with the testing or will you have further review/analysis?

Will have a few more coming, stay tuned.

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

I tried the Ifi DC between JCAT Femto and ATX Teradak 820W power supply and sound became to filtered and cutting highs!

I have to say that the 5V DC cable is shielded and directly connected into my Teradak 5V reg. (no other connections) and nothing else is connected to that Reg.

Then I inserted the Ifi DC into my RR-777, powered from Lithium battery and with 0.5m Revelation Audio DC cable and the results were completely the opposite! Better details, dynamics, crispiness.....much better!

Quite not what I expected!

Dm. This is one of the most interest threads here. Thank you. is there an chance of a comment on the insides. We see the outsides, the measurements , the sound. Only is miss the insides as in Asia we like to know the parts as many are diy guys and know good and bad parts.

ok, I will ask my EE friend to take a look of the inside and pass some comments :D

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

9. Corning USB 3.Optical Cables | (USB3.0, US$164)

IMG_7258.jpg

This is an interesting one, an optical USB cable, and USB 3.0 too, seems like it ticks all the boxes! Again, just like the Intona, it was designed for industrial use, hence the VERY long length on offer, 10-50m!

But with all industrial designed items put to home audio uses, they inevitably will have various limitations, here is the Corning one:

• It does not provide USB power, hence if the DAC draws power from the USB bus, it will not work.

Also, this little bugger is quite fiddle about connections, often we lost connections for no reason, couldn't connect for no reason, sometimes we were just pulling our hair out why it just wouldn't bloody connect :(

Interestly, we have better luck with USB3.0 devices with the Corning than the USB2.0 ones, seems the USB2.0 compatibility is not quite 100% yet.

Lab

no_sign_8.png

Sorry, no lab result here as the Corning does not provide USB power.

Sound

When it worked, the improvements are quite similar to the others with regeneration, darker background, details enhanced and sound was smoother, it sounded similar to the iFi iPurifier2.

Conclusion

Sound wise I will give it 66, but the Corning is too fiddle to work with and doesn't provide USB power, so it is really let down by usability, not recommended.

Scores:

90 Intona + iFi micro iUSB3.0

83 iFi micro iUSB3.0

81/70 Intona

77 iFi nano iUSB3.0

74 Uptone Regen

70/0 Wyred 4 Sound Recovery

68 iFi iPurifier2

66/0 Corning USB 3.Optical Cables

50 iFi iPurifier (discontinued)

49 Audioquest Jitterbug

Hi DM, thanks for the test.

Is ground transferred with the Corning USB cable? IMO yes, otherwise handshake wouldn't function even with DACs which don't require power from computer.

If ground is transferred, I mean a split USB cable like this plus for example iFi iPower 5V could be an interesting solution for DACs, which require power on USB port.

31612d1481992967t-ac-filtering-grounding-boxes-linear-power-supply-unit-and-balanced-power-8389_.jpg

Would it be within your possibilities to obtain such a cable and some +5V LPS for these tests? Perhaps it could enable you also to do measurements in cases like Corning.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500