IGNORED

EMM Labs and Meitner Audio update their DAC2x and MA-1 DACs

1 hour ago, Starre said:

I have not updated my ma-1 but now you can find the latest USB drivers for Windows on Meitners home page.

I installed this and it works nicely, and it is free of charge.

I think you are finding the ASIO drivers, not the update to V2 as it's tied to your serial number and have to get it from Meitner directly.

25 minutes ago, bumperdoo said:

I think you are finding the ASIO drivers, not the update to V2 as it's tied to your serial number and have to get it from Meitner directly.

The update mentioned here will involve a hardware change in most cases, so a firmware-only update is generally not enough.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

6 hours ago, albert said:

The firmware upgrade for the v2 is only for the version 2 ma-1 and dac2x. There is a warning not to use on the version 1 machine since it can results in damage/malfunction of the version 1 machine.

Yes, in my case, as a MA-1 V1 user, the update required me to replace the input PWA prior to installing the V2 firmware. 

Yes it is a bit confusing, I have the first version of ma-1 with updated firmware to "DAT2" which had 2 versions depending on serial number. Now the new V2 of ma-1 I presume there is an even newer firmware for V2 only. But the USB drivers for Windows works with all models if I am correct, it is version 3.30. I use it without problems so far.

It sounds very good I think.

I tried to install the usb driver for windows 64 but could not get past the agreement page. Normally you would select agree and hit next but there is no response. There should be a page of what the agreement entails but it is missing. I think this is why i can't advance.

Tried to run as administrator but it did not work. My dealer called emm labs and they sent me a new link to download the file. My dealer at that time also updated my ma-1 to version 2.  After listening for about 3 hours, this is a very big upgrade.  Everything was improved. There is more detail ie i am hearing things that was not apparent to me before. The dynamics are greater than before. The bass improved with better tonality, tightness and volume. There is an overall greater richness and focus to the sound. In video language , it was like going from a cheap washed out  lcd tv to a 4k oled hdr tv. This is one of the best upgrades that i have done. Now i have to burn it in for 2 days.

7 hours ago, albert said:

Tried to run as administrator but it did not work. My dealer called emm labs and they sent me a new link to download the file. My dealer at that time also updated my ma-1 to version 2.  After listening for about 3 hours, this is a very big upgrade.  Everything was improved. There is more detail ie i am hearing things that was not apparent to me before. The dynamics are greater than before. The bass improved with better tonality, tightness and volume. There is an overall greater richness and focus to the sound. In video language , it was like going from a cheap washed out  lcd tv to a 4k oled hdr tv. This is one of the best upgrades that i have done. Now i have to burn it in for 2 days.

Good to hear you've got it up and running!  I've enjoyed this update very much also.  I noticed the sharper focus and detail right off and I must admit on some recordings the added detail was less than ideal for me.  As I become broken-in to this new presentation, I'm enjoying it more and more.  I'm from the school where *I'm* the one who gets broken in, especially in a case where an update is firmware based. 

On 3/2/2017 at 11:49 PM, ksalno said:

Here is a cheat sheet for the new sample rate light scheme:

DXD 352 -> 44.1+88.2 lit

DXD 384 -> 48+96 lit

DSD64 -> 44.1+176.4 lit

DSD128 -> 88.2+176.4 lit

I just got my ma-1 updated. When i play my ripped sacd files the 44.1 + 88.2 are lit. Are the ripped sacd files not dsd64?

15 minutes ago, albert said:

I just got my ma-1 updated. When i play my ripped sacd files the 44.1 + 88.2 are lit. Are the ripped sacd files not dsd64?

I don't know - what did you rip them as?

And how are you sending the signal to the DAC? Are you sending DSD or PCM?

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

What is the better input of ma-1, spdif or the new designed galvanic isolated usb input?

I have also a modified singxer F1 and it took the usb port many hours to be as good as the modded F1. 

Would a iso regen stil help SQ?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

On 2017-06-28 at 4:48 PM, RickyV said:

What is the better input of ma-1, spdif or the new designed galvanic isolated usb input?

I use the USB input with tremendous success; can't comment on the SPDIF. Those always make me nervous as the connectors can induce jitter.

I'd say test with each and see what works best for you?

If it is the usb input it takes 50 hours at least. Before that is sounds like if there is a curtain infront of the speakers.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Don't assume newer is better. 

You may gain some (density, harmonic richness, better bass punch and deeper bass extension), but you lose some if you are sensitive to timing integrity (manifest as soundstaging, track-to-track transistion sonic consistency), and that exhilarating sparkle-from-inside magic that emm lab is well known for.

So all i can say is - people, please audition the new version before committing to the new upgrades.

Or wait to see meitner issues a new firmware to address some underlying issues in the rush to get their newer, higher dsd sample rate architecture out the door. 

The new unit has better sync lock compared to the older unit.

This is a very nice surprise, and much welcomed.

I've always thought the problem originates from the TSDX transport.

When i newly power up the tsdx and play a redbook cd disc, the dac2x v1 would lose sync for a split second before relocking again. This has an audible effect on soundstaging (height, width, depth, perspective) and overall musicality. 9 out of 10 tries, the dac2x will lose sync if the tsdx is newly powered up and playing redbook cd disc. With sacd disc this was not a problem. The dac2x will always stayed locked on if sacd disc is played after the tsdx is newly powered up. 

When i use the aes/ebu connection between the tsdx and the dac2x v1, the same problem occurs. 9 out of 10 tries, the dac2x v1 loses sync when the tsdx is newly powered up and a redbook cd disc is played. 

When i switch to using another player/transport like a sony scd-xa9000es sacd/cd player (using toslink) and a diy shigaclone transport (using coaxial) this sync lock problem doesn't happen at the dac2x v1.

So naturally one has to conclude that the tsdx is the problem, right?

But with the dac2x v2, 6 or 7 out of 10 tries, the sync stayed locked on when the tsdx is newly powered up and playing redbook cd disc. 

As i said this is a nice surprise, and I'm able to enjoy redbook cd disc much better than before. 

So, i think i may just sit out and wait for meitner to issue a new algorithm or whatever to address the timing/soundstaging issue with firmware updates. Don't make me wait too loooong, Ed.