IGNORED

EMM Labs and Meitner Audio update their DAC2x and MA-1 DACs

CES 2017 Meitner MA-1 V2 and EMM Labs DAC2X V2 Announcements

Using technology developed in their flagship DA2 DAC, EMM Labs and Meitner Audio has once again updated both their multi-award winning DACs the Meitner Audio MA-1 DAC and EMM Labs DAC2X. In addition to being the perfect companion of their TSDX CD/SACD Transport, the updates provide a huge improvement in transparency, accuracy and overall sound quality.

The new V2 unit updates consist of:

• MDAC™ in both platforms are now fully discrete DSD512/8xDSD D/A converters completely built in-house at EMM Labs' manufacturing facility in Canada
  • Their multi-award winning MDAT2™ DSP has also been refined and updated to synergistically work with the new 8xDSD MDAC™. The new MDAT2™ DSP does real-time transient detection, processing and up-conversion of all incoming audio, PCM and DSD, before sending it to the new MDAC™
  • The DSD audio signal path has been re-designed allowing for further enhancements in transparency during the DSD to Analog conversion process
  • Proprietary hardware galvanic isolation for the USB Audio interface
  • Supports sampling rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192kHz at word lengths up to 24 bits through all 6 digital inputs,
  • Support for DSD128/2xDSD and DXD streaming via USB Audio
  • Support for DSD (DoP) streaming via TOSLINK, SPDIF and AES
  • No configuration necessary, just plug and play.

Every other digital system from its proprietary jitter removal MFAST™ to its super accurate clock, MCLK™ has also been carefully revised as well for better sound.

The V2 version pricing:

Meitner MA-1 MSRP is $7,000 US

EMM Labs DAC2X MSRP is $15,500 US

Please note the V2 units performance are immediately noticeable and not subtle. So it’s quite a big jump in performance from the standard MA-1 and DAC2X to the V2 version.

They are also offering an upgrade package for customers with older MA-1s and DAC2Xs to upgrade their units to V2.

MSRP is: $1,750 US

Note - Most units purchased in 2016 would already have newer hardware and you can just update the unit with the finalized firmware to make it V2. If you're not sure if your DAC already has the newer hardware, contact your EMM/Meitner dealer with the serial number.

Ciamara is the trusted leader in high end audio. We deliver the tailored advice and service of the best local stereo shops, but with a dynamic, interactive experience that is only possible on the Web. For more details, we invite you to visit us at ciamara.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am going to get the update for my ma-1. Unfortunately my pre-amp is in for repairs or else i would have it done by my dealer. The dealer told me it would take 10 days to order the part(s). Since he is about a 3 hr drive from me (6 hrs back and forth), he agreed that i could drop it off in the morning and be able to pick it up later that day. I will try to post some impressions once i get it done.

Cool, but why isn't it actually handling DSD512/8xDSD audio, like for example the T+A DAC 8 DSD?

No it is not. The USB input handles DSD128 max, and only over DoP, 384 max for PCM.

Edit: Sorry, you asked "Why?"... Design decisions? The dCS line for example has the same input ranges. Also DoP is more stable than a native ASIO driver.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

No it is not. The USB input handles DSD128 max, and only over DoP, 384 max for PCM.

Edit: Sorry, you asked "Why?"... Design decisions? The dCS line for example has the same input ranges. Also DoP is more stable than a native ASIO driver.

The dCS is a 64fs DAC so the lack of support for DSD512fs doesn't surprise me. But the updated EMM Labs is actually a DSD512/8xDSD DAC, as is the T+A DAC 8 DSD, yet only the latter accepts DSD512 input. That's what puzzles me...

The dCS is a 64fs DAC so the lack of support for DSD512fs doesn't surprise me. But the updated EMM Labs is actually a DSD512/8xDSD DAC, as is the T+A DAC 8 DSD, yet only the latter accepts DSD512 input. That's what puzzles me...

Not exactly... The Emm/Meitner DACs use a discrete DAC architecture and what they claim is that there is oversampling to DSD512 prior to the d-to-a conversion. This is different from say taking an I2S DSD512 stream. In practice both the updated DAC2x, MA-1, and DA2 (the latest flagship) can only take DSD128 over DoP and 384 PCM over USB, and if I read this correctly, they support DSD64 over the other interfaces.

My EmmLabs XDS1v2 is equivalent to the DAC2x from a DAC perspective (has an Esoteric transport built in as well). It is not updated (yet, I am told).

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Not exactly... The Emm/Meitner DACs use a discrete DAC architecture and what they claim is that there is oversampling to DSD512 prior to the d-to-a conversion. This is different from say taking an I2S DSD512 stream. In practice both the updated DAC2x, MA-1, and DA2 (the latest flagship) can only take DSD128 over DoP and 384 PCM over USB, and if I read this correctly, they support DSD64 over the other interfaces.

I know it oversamples all lower rates to 8xDSD, but it's a DSD512 DAC. It's in their announcement:

"MDAC™ in both platforms are now fully discrete DSD512/8xDSD D/A converters completely built in-house at EMM Labs' manufacturing facility in Canada."

I know it oversamples all lower rates to 8xDSD, but it's a DSD512 DAC. It's in their announcement:

"MDAC™ in both platforms are now fully discrete DSD512/8xDSD D/A converters completely built in-house at EMM Labs' manufacturing facility in Canada."

That can be read many ways... Ask THEM!!!

But I can assure you, it is not currently supported. My XDS1v2 does up sampling internally to DSD128, but only supports DSD64 input over DoP on the USB input.

system pics

Anyone pull the trigger yet or plan on doing this upgrade? If you've done it, what are your impressions?

Received my MA-1 back from EMM Labs on Friday and had the weekend to do some serious listening.

I wouldn't hesitate in getting the upgrade - transparency and detail elevated to the next level, as you'd expect from an upgrade done by Ed. Highly recommend it.

And to clarify - it now supports up to DSD128/2xDSD via USB Audio, nothing higher. The "MDAC™ in both platforms are now fully discrete DSD512/8xDSD D/A converters," refers to the internal up-sampling; nothing to do with source material you can provide the DAC.

My setup - Mac mini with separate linear PSU, Meitner MA-1, Audio Research Ref 150 and Verity Audio Fidelio Encore speakers. No pre-amp - use digital gain described in detail in this post.

Got mine updated and it has been running now for a week. I agree completely with bumperdoo's comments below.

Received my MA-1 back from EMM Labs on Friday and had the weekend to do some serious listening.

I wouldn't hesitate in getting the upgrade - transparency and detail elevated to the next level, as you'd expect from an upgrade done by Ed. Highly recommend it.

And to clarify - it now supports up to DSD128/2xDSD via USB Audio, nothing higher. The "MDAC™ in both platforms are now fully discrete DSD512/8xDSD D/A converters," refers to the internal up-sampling; nothing to do with source material you can provide the DAC.

My setup - Mac mini with separate linear PSU, Meitner MA-1, Audio Research Ref 150 and Verity Audio Fidelio Encore speakers. No pre-amp - use digital gain described in detail in this post.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I don't have a dealer nearby at all so I would probably need to mail my MA1 back to Meitner.

Sounds like a nice bump in performance though so I'll have to put it on my upgrade list.

Thanks

Got mine updated and it has been running now for a week. I agree completely with bumperdoo's comments below.

Rayooo - curious, do you get a popping sound when changing sampling rates or switching between DSD and PCM (either way)? We are experiencing the *popping* in our system and am working with EMM Labs to isolate the issue. If you are getting the popping, do let us know here? Here we have a Mac mini feeding the Meitner.

So far it's been no problems at all.... I did do a few tests with DSD to/from PCM.. I didn't notice anything. I'll check again and really give it a run through to be sure. I'm running J-River on a PC...USB to the MA-1 of course. J-River is set to do NO re-sampling or conversion and I do see the Double-Lights come on on the MA-1 front panel when doing DSD or 2X DSD.

...more to follow.

Rayooo - curious, do you get a popping sound when changing sampling rates or switching between DSD and PCM (either way)? We are experiencing the *popping* in our system and am working with EMM Labs to isolate the issue. If you are getting the popping, do let us know here? Here we have a Mac mini feeding the Meitner.

I did a bit more testing this morning. Basically started playing a 1x or 2x DSD..then randomly switching to PCM/FLAC. No ugliness at all.

When I play a 2x DSD...the 176.4 and the 88.2 LEDs are lit, playing a 1x DSD, the 176.4 and the 44.1 led are lit.

I'm running J-River on a PC.

Good to know - here we are running a Mac environment. Has the USB interface changed much with the V2 implementation? There have been a number of changes in the Mac environment on how it sees the MA-1 over USB. My guess is that's the root of the *popping* that we're experiencing.

I did a bit more testing this morning. Basically started playing a 1x or 2x DSD..then randomly switching to PCM/FLAC. No ugliness at all.

Good to know. It's looking like a Mac USB issue to me atm.

When I play a 2x DSD...the 176.4 and the 88.2 LEDs are lit, playing a 1x DSD, the 176.4 and the 44.1 led are lit.

Nice. Shahin at EMM Labs is working on the new readme and *manual* now with the update on lighting sequences as they've changed, obviously! LOL

I'm using the same USB Driver & Setup that was part of the previous update a year or so ago.

Good to know - here we are running a Mac environment. Has the USB interface changed much with the V2 implementation? There have been a number of changes in the Mac environment on how it sees the MA-1 over USB. My guess is that's the root of the *popping* that we're experiencing.

Received my V2 upgraded MA-1 today and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Of course, it is impossible to do a real A:B since it has been gone for 10 days and listening memory is supposed to be around 20 seconds but from my memory of my reference cuts, this is a significant upgrade and keeps the MA-1 right up there with the best DACs. I haven't had a chance to compare it with my Vivaldi in the same system but in the office system where I use the MA-1 it sounds great. The bass seems to go deeper but is better defined. Air and separation around the different acoustic instruments is better than what I remember and the transients on trumpets and percussion instruments are fast and clean. Well worth the $2500 upgrade cost (not sure what happened to the $1750 quoted above).

I am playing DSD and PCM with no issues or noise when switching. Using Roon Core -> MicroRendu w/LPS -> Uptone Regen with LPS -> MA-1.

USD$1750 which I paid. Did you pay USD$2500?

Yes. I asked about that. I was told it is because I bought my MA-1 used and not through a dealer. I had to send my unit to the factory, instead of having a dealer do the upgrade. So I guess this covers their cost. Seems like a pretty big premium (43%) but I'm happy with the upgrade, if not the pricing.