IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

To clarify, I am not part of any conspiracy theory or hit-and-run attack. I am not even pro- or anti- in some partisan war camp. I see MQA as good in some ways and bad in others. The BAD: possibly as a marketing disaster and too proprietary, which locks out advancements, discussions, and global cooperative consortia toward improved V2+ versions thereof.

I am here mostly for the classifieds so if I'm ever in danger of being banned for what I say, please just delete my post give me a warning.

My comments about experts and expertise pertains to the fact that none of the discussions I ever see on the topic, whether pro- or anti-, have their head anywhere in clean air but mostly in a dark musty place where the sun doesn't shine, rank with propaganda, fearmongering, misinfo, on both sides. Where are calm people weighing the good and the bad with an even analysis? Few and far away, just like the ones who know what they're talking about.

Since I said the bad, I'll be fair and say a few good things. Neither my good- or bad- list in conclusive but I didn't come here to write a 10 page research essay. Just to touch on it.

I see MQA as a good ALMOST-lossless codec for delivering HiFi audio over transport channels of limited bandwidth and/or where bandwidth usage incurs greater costs. Think here, bluetoothy-ish, mobile data while traveling, or traveling in places where you pay $20 but they cap you at such-and-so-many gigabytes until you have to pay more.

In my own listening, which is very well-trained (usually detecting things that others only start to notice after extended hearing), I can say that for now, I have not detected any superiority of MQA when it comes to MQA vs. standard Hi-Res, in anything 24/96 and above.

One should separate Tidal from MQA as well, as the two are different companies. I believe Tidal has mis-marketed a few things which perhaps unfairly fall onto MQA as a format. I can't get over the feeling that Tidal is doing extra, hidden, secret DSP to what it sends out in MQA, as I just can't escape the feeling that sometimes someone is hitting one of those "3D Acoustic Ambience" buttons like you often used to see on LowFi consumer AVRs. I'm less outraged over it since they do a surprisingly non-heinous job of it, but the whole thing still smells of hidden dark secrets and disingenuous marketing which audiophiles don't want... we want knowledge.

Disclaimers:  In spite of that I stick with Tidal because, as a classical performer with connections to people who first founded the company, I'm grandfathered in "free for life."  I'd probably use Qobuz if I weren't.

Remember, the way to knowledge is research, inquiry, and deep reflexion, not judgment or parroting the first partisan who happened to skew your judgments!

Cheers, and Peace to all.

I assumed by now that if copying A into different competing products B and C is at issue, then anyone with a modicum of honesty would immediately flag statements of the type "C is not as good as B because it differs" as idiocy. I have an open challenge to EVERYONE in this forum quoting all the "established science in this forum" to give a SINGLE EXAMPLE of said references which do not make this heinous sophomoric mistake. Henceforth, until such example is given, the null hypothesis is in effect, that it has not been established at all, that MQA measures worse than FLAC/PCM in comparison to the originally performed sonic characteristics.

Whew, glad we could get that one out of the way.