IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

18 hours ago, davide256 said:

I guess what I'd like to see is a comparison of a PC using something like a JCAT USB  FEMTO as endpoint machine with AL vs AL/NUC endpoint using built in USB. I don't see anything special about the hardware quality in an endpoint NUC,  just good hardware integration. My suspicion is that an independently powered well made USB card in a decent endpoint machine will best NUC.  Hopefully we can get a CA member who already has one of these or an alternative to give it a shot and report in.

I haven't tested any kind of NUC recently, but I compared AudioLinux against Windows on my computer, which at the time had SOtM tx-USBexp (today I have the JCAT USB Card FEMTO). In my opinion, listening on the same computer, Windows has played considerably better. I cannot tell if a NUC would be even better, but considering at least the dedicated USB card, I don't think so. I also have linear power supply on this computer, use RAMdisk and did several other correct adjustments.

Another detail is that I didn't exhaust the possibilities of AudioLinux. I haven't tested everything that it can offer, like HQPlayer, for example. At the end, I cannot give any constructive opinion. I really don't like Linux. It isn't good for audio purposes...

22 hours ago, Advieira said:

IMPRESSIONS WITH A NUC SERVER

Mikrotik router SFP Fiber + Nuc7i7BDNE Akasa (LPS Zerozone) > SnH-10G sclk-ex (stock ps) > Direcstream Sr. Bridge II

AudioLinux Ram: sound very sharp, bright, lean, very detailed, a little fatigating, very stable (nuc gets very hot)

Windows Server Data Center 2019 (no A.O) (M.2): details, bodied, harmonics richness, very enjoyable, network not very stable occasionally

I will keep AL for some auditions and impressing some friends, but for my ears, WS19 sounds better (understanding better as natural and real).

Now, I didn't understood why all that AL fuss...

Exactly what I said here:

• 2 months later...