IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Yup, had one for over a year. Too many droputs with DSD512/PCM768KHZ.

Jussi’s recommended UpBoard Gateway (I’ve linked a few times in this thread) is much better.

Hi Em2016

How is the UpSquared Gateway very different in terms of power to run HQPlayer than the NUC7i7DNKE? They seem very similar except the DNK has a higher burst speed if I am following this right.

Thanks John

34 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Hi John

I have the UpBoard Gateway, not UpSquared.

UpBoard is recommended by Jussi for HQP NAA duties and works fantastically well at PCM768kHz/DSD512x48.

As mentioned, very very low power consumption too. I can easily power it by a USB3.0 port (900mA).

The UpSquared Gateway can run HQPE but with limited filter options, due to it's limited CPU. But the NUC7i7DNHE is much more capable with running HQPE.

My NUC7i7DNHE (in fanless case) can run Roon Server and HQP Embedded with poly-sinc-lp-2s at DSD512. It can't do xtr-2s at DSD512. Maybe the newer NUC's can though.

Thanks so much for the clarification. I was confusing use for NAA versus HQPE. Nice to hear that the DNHE can handle Roon and HQPE even if with limited filter range. I might go that direction. 

16 hours ago, Em2016 said:

My NUC7i7DNHE (in fanless case) can run Roon Server and HQP Embedded with poly-sinc-lp-2s at DSD512. It can't do xtr-2s at DSD512. Maybe the newer NUC's can though.

Hi Em2016

I forgot to ask how is your DNHE performing? I mean how does it sound with HQPE? Is it better than other options in its price range and/or performance range?

Thanks

• 8 months later...

Quick question, if I mount an Intel Optane ssd in a housing and connect it by USB to my NUC, i.e. as an external drive, have I lost all of that Optane goodness because of the USB circuitry? Or does the Optane ssd need to be mounted directly on the main board to contribute to a sound quality advantage? Assume quality LPS for external drive.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 2:35 AM, tedwoods said:

Lampizator have been using this board in select products since their 10th Anniversary last year. I believe it's pretty much standardised by now and it's in all their DACs. It uses XMOS, opto-isolators, re-clocking and very ultra low phase noise oscillators. It does PCM 768 and DSD 512 (natively).

In my DAC (Lampizator Amber 3) it was a night and day difference over the Amanero, that was installed before. So much that I'm no longer finding a use for the tx-USBUltra. I believe this looks close enough: http://www.jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html 

I've been actually prompted to mention this because @austinpop's observations painted a familiar picture for me, as they reminded me of mine upon replacing the Amanero board.

I cannot go as far and say that this board has the same effect as the Audiowise bridge and USB isolators , since I have not tried this solution, but I can certainly confirm that the general logic behind it is very true.

I contacted the supplier in the link asking if their board was a plug and play replacement for the Amanero board, which I have in my DAC. Here is the response. I am interested in the Amanero styled board, because I can for sure do the replacement, not so sure that I can do the re-wiring unless someone describes exactly what must be done...

Hi John,

Our I2SoverUSB board is not directly made to swap with Amanero, so the wiring will be different :) but it's straight forward. 
We have Amanero styled board - but we need to do some more tests of it - possibly next week.

Best,
Lyuben