IGNORED

Vinyl sales > download revenues in the U.K.

For me, this is a very interesting article/finding, that allows different views, none of which will be the ONE:

1) I am one of those who grew up with vinyl, loved it. Various reasons: in those days, nothing else was around, I could tamper with turntables/parts of turntables, etc., artwork on some of the covers was just outstanding (YES comes to mind)...

2) In those days, I never even dreamt of having the same SQ with me wherever I go (mostly because I never went too far from where I could listen to my LPs anyway:-)

3) CDs then were okay, but especially the cover art was too small

4) Now for me, given the possibilities of digital audio and being rather mobile, this - for me - is the way to go. I can get the same SQ (at least I think and hear so) as with a goold old vinyl with me, wherever I go.

To cut a long story short, does the article tell us about comparisons in SQ, or does it talk about changes in life styles, differences in demographics, etc.? These are all very interesting questions I would certainly like to hear more about.

This article is based on a news release from the "Entertainment Retailers Association" representing the interests of "record stores" in the UK, so they might have chosen the figures that suited them.

For instance, did the downloads figures take account of downloads by UK residents from non-UK download stores?

The get a complete picture on how people consume music, there should also be the revenue from streaming, CD sales and an estimation of illegal downloads.

Claude

I guess the key reason why downloads drop is the now increasingly widespread adoption of streaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

It could also be the case that downloads can be very expensive/poor perceived value, underlined by lack of physical medium and the fact that as users become more sophisticated, the realisation dawns that HiRes, for example, isn't an automatic recipe for improved SQ over RBCD.

Especially with the advent of OPPO ripping, I always look first for the SACD - generally half or even a third of the price of the same item on DSD download.

It could also be the case that downloads can be very expensive/poor perceived value, underlined by lack of physical medium and the fact that as users become more sophisticated, the realisation dawns that HiRes, for example, isn't an automatic recipe for improved SQ over RBCD.

Especially with the advent of OPPO ripping, I always look first for the SACD - generally half or even a third of the price of the same item on DSD download.

Yep, lossless and especially hi-rez downloads are overpriced, compared to CDs.

Single inventory hybrid SACDs, as sold by classical labels, distort the market. The label must sell them at CD price, because most buyers consider them as CDs and ignore the SACD layer. The hi-rez download is sold at a higher price, because it's considered a superior product to a CD. The price doesn't take account of the lower costs of selling downloads compared to manufacturing an distributing a disc.

It's only MP3s which are significantly cheaper than CDs. Maybe in the future when MP3s will disappear because all the playback devices support lossless files and storage capacity and download speeds become less relevant, the price of lossless downloads will be adjusted to the current price of MP3s.

Another factor is that physical discs are usually available at considerable discounts, because that's how the retail market works, while downloads are always at list price, except for occasional promos.

Claude