IGNORED

Who Are The Greatest Pianists of the 21st Century?

I'm slowly working my way through every pianist listed on this thread. I'm still studying Andsnes and enjoying his work immensely. What a wonderful world we live in with such talent. The most played CD I've ever owned is Claudio Arrau with Sir Colin Davis & Dresden Philharmonic performing Beethoven Emperor Concerto. I'm hoping to find a few recordings to bump that one down.

With Arrau, you're starting from a very high level, he undoubtably was one of the best pianists ever.

The Emperor is by the way the one were the combination of Andsnes and the COE in the Beethoven box is probably a bit less adequate, compared to the 4 other Beethoven concertos.

Specifically for no. 5, check out Sudbin with the Minnessota:

eClassical - Beethoven – Piano Concertos 4 & 5

With Arrau, you're starting from a very high level, he undoubtably was one of the best pianists ever.

The Emperor is by the way the one were the combination of Andsnes and the COE in the Beethoven box is probably a bit less adequate, compared to the 4 other Beethoven concertos.

Or Michelangeli with VPO and Giulini on DG.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The previously mentioned recording of Arrau was my very first purchase of classical music. It had just been released - I believe it was 1990, and to me it was like striking a gold mine. I instantly fell head over heels for it and began purchasing more recordings of Arrau which lead to several other great talents, but that first recording has always remained the most enjoyable.

The reviews of Subdin's recorded performance raise the bar of expectation pretty damn high, and since I've yet to supply the in-laws with a Christmas, the timing couldn't be better.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Or Michelangeli with VPO and Giulini on DG.

I'll definitely look in to Michelangeli (we can bend the rules this once for a "giant" from the last century).

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Or... Glenn Gould with Stokowsky. Gould's Beethoven is very far from safe recommendation, but this recording is sheer joy.

I'm very interested. What do you like about this recording?

I'm very interested. What do you like about this recording?

It seems both conductor and soloist have very different understanding of the same work, nevertheless, even this contradiction works wondrously adding to the unique synergetic effect. Stokowski's command of his orchestra is very impressive, all play as one with greatest involvement possible, Gould quite independently walks away to his imaginary planes and masterly returns back merging into the stream of music effortlessly. The sound is very good for such an old recording, early sixties, I guess.

It seems both conductor and soloist have very different understanding of the same work, nevertheless, even this contradiction works wondrously adding to the unique synergetic effect. Stokowski's command of his orchestra is very impressive, all play as one with greatest involvement possible, Gould quite independently walks away to his imaginary planes and masterly returns back merging into the stream of music effortlessly. The sound is very good for such an old recording, early sixties, I guess.

Thanks for the information. This will be another for the List.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Who, in your humble (or not so humble) opinion, are the most worthy pianists of this distinction? All music styles are accepted. The only rule is they must have performed at the aforementioned worthiness level at least once during this century.

My list is pretty short:

Oscar Peterson- jazz (saw him at the Blue Note in this century:)

Lang Lang-classical

Rick Wakeman- rock

My list is pretty short:

Oscar Peterson- jazz (saw him at the Blue Note in this century:)

Lang Lang-classical

Rick Wakeman- rock

Though I've always been very fond of Yes (RIP Mr. Squire), the vocalist on Wakeman's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" record permanently undid my affection for this keyboardist. The last time I heard that record was in my car. As soon as those dying-cat vocals came in I violently yanked the CD out of the dash and chucked it out the window. Still, I'll check out his 21st century work.

Thanks.

Though I've always been very fond of Yes (RIP Mr. Squire), the vocalist on Wakeman's "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" record permanently undid my affection for this keyboardist. The last time I heard that record was in my car. As soon as those dying-cat vocals came in I violently yanked the CD out of the dash and chucked it out the window. Still, I'll check out his 21st century work.

Thanks.

His tour with Anderson and Rabin finishes up tonight. You can follow him on twitter, he posts a lot.

http://arw-tour.com/

I guess it was Keith Emerson who made minimoog popular.

Ah yes. I was a very impressed 10 year-old upon hearing Keith Emerson's The Old Castle solo on Pictures at an Exhibition. Carl Palmer was unstoppable back then. In fact, it was that year (1971) I started playing the drum kit.

Wasn't it Wakeman who championed the mini moog?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

That is a great story. Someone rick knew bought a mini moog and was bitching it didn't work and would rick check it out. Rick told the guy it worked fine and the guy didn't know how to play it' he sold it to rick and the rest is history. check out this great documentary about the mini moog, Bernie Worrel of Funkadelic was another early champion.

Check 37 minutes into this video:

Along with Grosvenor, I'm interested in seeing/hearing what else comes from this guy: http://davidfraymusic.com

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Along with Grosvenor, I'm interested in seeing/hearing what else comes from this guy: http://davidfraymusic.com

I really liked his Schubert: https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/07/05/david-frays-elegant-and-intimate-schubert/

His Bach is mesmerising

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31462[/ATTACH]

What I like is that he is from the expressive rather than the pyrotechnic tradition.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.