IGNORED

How many bits, how fast, just how much resolution is enough?

BlueSkyy

I was under the apparently incorrect impression that linear phase was limited to first order (analog) crossover filters.

Here's what Nelson Pass says:

The 6dB/octave and the inverted 12 and 18dB/octave examples yield sums which are quite fiat, and remarkably, we see that the 12 and 18dB/octave cases both yield identical amplitude and phase results. Of all these filters only one, the lowly 6dB/octave crossover has both accurate amplitude and phase response when the outputs are reassembled.

Source: https://passlabs.com/press/phase-coherent-crossover-networks

Until a few years ago I owned a pair of Pass XVR-1 active analogue crossovers:

HiFi_old.jpg

I spent many months playing around with all types of crossovers. But eventually, the only ones I could live with were 1st order.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Here's what Nelson Pass says:

Source: https://passlabs.com/press/phase-coherent-crossover-networks

Until a few years ago I owned a pair of Pass XVR-1 active analogue crossovers:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31280[/ATTACH]

I spent many months playing around with all types of crossovers. But eventually, the only ones I could live with were 1st order.

Mani.

In a perfect world we would (/should?) all prefer phase and time coherent speakers but the reality is that the shallow slope of a first order filter will affect frequency and power response and is ineffective at tackling break-up resonances (although you may get away with it by narrowing the operating band of the driver):

Untitled.jpg

Here's an interesting essay on the subject:

Phase, Time and Distortion in Loudspeakers

R

SaveSave

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Talk about wide ranging, this thread has morphed into one covering a myriad of topics.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Compression or depression? ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

For me more "qualitative" (by my subjective perception) music cause lesser tiredness during listening.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature