IGNORED

New exaSound e32 and e38 DACs with DSD 256 at TAVES Show This Weekend

Hi Exa, do you implement THD compensation function in 9028pro for e32? e22 measurement is superb, but is there any technical performance improvement when compare with e22?

Lower noise

Lower distortion

Faster locking when sampling rate is changed

Faster switching between inputs

More stable and consistent handling of DSD128 and DSD256.

The old ES9018 had to be handled with custom settings under controlled hardware conditions to be able to play DSD256. It was possible with very limited room for customization. The new ES9028PRO allows more freedom at the top sampling rates and can be further fine-tuned.

We will announce the upgrade options on our website around the middle of December. Send us an email and we will notify you when the upgrade is available.

So are you saying that an upgrade from an e20 MKIII with femto clock to an e32 might be available also?

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

e32 - just released & already awarded No. 1 by

HiVi BESTBUY 2016 WINTER

and in the company of

PlayPoint - HiVi BESTBUY 2016 WINTER

Congrats!

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Lower noise

Lower distortion

Faster locking when sampling rate is changed

Faster switching between inputs

More stable and consistent handling of DSD128 and DSD256.

The old ES9018 had to be handled with custom settings under controlled hardware conditions to be able to play DSD256. It was possible with very limited room for customization. The new ES9028PRO allows more freedom at the top sampling rates and can be further fine-tuned.

In your view, are there any other advantages to using the 9028 over the 9018/9008, over the ones you mentioned? Does it actually sound better?

Gustard has a sale too on their brand new X20U Pro DAC that uses 2 ESS 9028 DAC chips. It will do DSD512 via I2S and has numerous digital filter choices, built in large power supply using two 50 watt transformers and both balanced and unbalanced outputs with volume control.

GUSTARD DAC-X20 Pro Super Ultimate 2 x ES9028Pro XMOS HiFi DAC 384KHz DSD DOP Decoder - Professional Audio Store - Shenzhenaudio.com

e32 - just released & already awarded No. 1 by

HiVi BESTBUY 2016 WINTER

and in the company of

PlayPoint - HiVi BESTBUY 2016 WINTER

Hmmmm The about to be released Oppo Sonica DAC was also rated #1? I cannot read Chinese but it looks that way. The $800 Sonica DAC has wireless steaming, usb input so you can hook up hard drive right to it, software to use your phone or tablet, an analog input and has the better speced and more expensive ESS 9038 DAC chip. Way less money than the Exasound with more features.....the Exasound does have headphone amp.

Gustard has a sale too on their brand new X20U Pro DAC that uses 2 ESS 9028 DAC chips. It will do DSD512 via I2S and has numerous digital filter choices, built in large power supply using two 50 watt transformers and both balanced and unbalanced outputs with volume control.

GUSTARD DAC-X20 Pro Super Ultimate 2 x ES9028Pro XMOS HiFi DAC 384KHz DSD DOP Decoder - Professional Audio Store - Shenzhenaudio.com

Can the Gustard drive both the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time and independently set levels?

Can the e32 DAC drive both the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time and independently set levels?

For example - XLR L/R drive main speakers and RCA L/R drive left and right subs?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

exaSound is proud to receive two PF Brutus Awards for the newly released flagship e32 DAC and the PlayPoint Network Audio Player.

Thank you, Positive Feedback!

Can the e32 DAC drive both the XLR and RCA outputs at the same time and independently set levels?

For example - XLR L/R drive main speakers and RCA L/R drive left and right subs?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

s. How could they run 4 channels?

The exasound e32 site says this:

"Flexible connectivity, with simultaneous, independent balanced and unbalanced output stages means you’re always free to use the interface you want, or both at the same time"

exaSound Audio Design > e32 > e32 DAC Overview

Kal, think it through! He is not asking for 4 separate channels.....just simultaneously using both the balanced and unbalanced at the same time. Many outputs can be used that way....including a stock Oppo 105 (just not with separate volume controls on them).

I don't know about the e32 but the Gustard uses the positive output of the balanced signal for the unbalanced outs. If you used both at the same time there would be two loads on the positive signal....even with a high impedance load from the subs it still would sonically compromise the main channels. However, it is very simple to wire a buffer between the balanced plus output and the unbalanced outs. I could do this for about $60. These would be zero feedback wideband high current buffers (like used to drive a headphone)....very transparent.

However, I know of no product that has volume controls separate for balanced and unbalanced. You merely set the overall level you need and then use the subs volume control to match the main channels. You could have separate volume controls for both balanced and unbalanced outs but I have never seen it. Anyone?

I don't know about the e32 but the Gustard uses the positive output of the balanced signal for the unbalanced outs. If you used both at the same time there would be two loads on the positive signal....even with a high impedance load from the subs it still would sonically compromise the main channels. However, it is very simple to wire a buffer between the balanced plus output and the unbalanced outs. I could do this for about $60. These would be zero feedback wideband high current buffers (like used to drive a headphone)....very transparent.

Both the e22 and the e32 have separate output stages for the balanced and unbalanced line outputs. This is taken care of.

However, I know of no product that has volume controls separate for balanced and unbalanced. You merely set the overall level you need and then use the subs volume control to match the main channels. You could have separate volume controls for both balanced and unbalanced outs but I have never seen it. Anyone?

All sub-woofers have level controls. In my opinion there is no need to do this in the DAC. Duplicating functionality that is readily available increases cost and causes unnecessary noise and distortion.

Kal, think it through! He is not asking for 4 separate channels.....just simultaneously using both the balanced and unbalanced at the same time. Many outputs can be used that way....including a stock Oppo 105 (just not with separate volume controls on them).
Exactly. They need to be separate output channnels (not necessarily separate DACs) in order to afford those functions.

Sure but you could also do this after a Y-connector from a single output, bal or unbal.

Exactly.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Sounds terrific...but apparently Sabre DAC's can't play upsampled files such as DSD

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's