IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

On 21/04/2017 at 6:57 AM, Padawan38 said:

Hello,

A few words about my SU1 that went for a tweak by ROSE Audio.

As you can see, the PSU is completely new and the tweak is quite huge.

Most important is the sound … and it rocks !

Black background is better, more refinement with better details, more “meat” and re-enforced organic character.

It’s really a step up.

Have a nice day !

Rgds

P

mini_872114SingxerSU1ROSEtweak.jpg

Hi Padawan38, 

Thanks for sharing. 

I just received my SU-1 and am playing around with it. So far it's looking very promising! 

Can you provide more details on what your PSU mod entails and what it cost? 

Many Thanks, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

On 1/6/2017 at 2:34 AM, sircharles said:

I went "all out" and purchased from Sound Affairs" the Elementa cable with the connector already attached and their PLiXir Balanced DC power supply and I can't put into words the transformation!

Without a doubt any power upgrade to the SU-1 yields incredible results. I could never go back to the stock power supply.

Transaction was flawless and James Soh was always very accessible via email.

For more info:- Here is the link

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/products/singxer-su-1-with-plixir-elite-bdc-modification

Hi All,

As someone not very technical whose never used a soldering iron in their life I'm quite intrigued by this upgrade kit.

@sircharles - how are you getting on with yours and do you still reccomend it?

Anyone else tried this kit?

All - Any thoughts on how this is likely to compare to the other mods being discussed like the LPS-1 mod?

I'm fairly keen to explore better power for my SU-1 but think I might need to find a firm that offers the services as me taking screwdriver, plyers and soldering iron to a lovely item like the SU-1 spells disaster all over it!! 

Many Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 hour ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

Here is the same kit installed on a SU-1 for sale on US Audio Mart.  

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649344857-singxer-su1-with-modified-power-supply/

Thanks @Evo-No-Revo,

I've already got an SU-1 though and it's only a couple weeks old. I'm also in the UK so buying from the US might be tricky. I wasn't sure if that upgrade kit was something they would ship to the UK but hoped for some feedback before I looked into that.

At the risk of going very off topic (sorry folks) how are you getting on with that Pink Faun Streamer? Would you recommend it?

I know it's off topic for this thread but my entire interest in the SU-1 is the I2S output and I've been taking a look at the Pink Faun stuff for the same. I saw your other post about the computer builder saying an LPS wasn't needed and then you ended up going for the Pink Faun. Perhaps update that thread if it' feels too much like derailing this one...

Cheers,

Alan

11 minutes ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

Still waiting on delivery.  We have a couple more final decisions to make and I need to make a final payment.  Very soon though....

Here is a thread I started for the Pink Faun setup.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31542-my-pink-faun-streamer-212-dual-pc-build/

Great thanks - I'll keep an eye on that one then. 

Hope it's worth the wait for you. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

On 4/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, BigAlMc said:

Hi All,

As someone not very technical whose never used a soldering iron in their life I'm quite intrigued by this upgrade kit.

@sircharles - how are you getting on with yours and do you still reccomend it?

Anyone else tried this kit?

All - Any thoughts on how this is likely to compare to the other mods being discussed like the LPS-1 mod?

I'm fairly keen to explore better power for my SU-1 but think I might need to find a firm that offers the services as me taking screwdriver, plyers and soldering iron to a lovely item like the SU-1 spells disaster all over it!! 

Many Thanks,

Alan

Bump

Any feedback on whether the mysoundaffairs upgrade kit is a worthwhile investment for better SQ?

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/products/singxer-su-1-with-plixir-elite-bdc-modification

Many Thanks,

Alan

29 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Personally for about the same money I would just get the LPS-1 and the DC kit from Kitsune.  

Thanks @tboooe

I missed that Kitsune option.

I already have an LPS-1 but it's powering my MicroRendu currently. Path would be NAS>MR>SU-1>DAC.

But that Kitsune kit and another LPS-1 or similar is intriguing. Also Adrian at Sonore recommended the Sonore Linear Power supply over the LPS-1 so I could consider getting that and moving my LPS-1 onto the SU-1. Bit more painful on the wallet that one tho!

Also gets into weird territory where the PSU's cost more than the kit they are powering o.O

Thanks @Energy & @scan80269

Yeah I think I'll look into the Kitsune and LPS-1. 

Apart from the obvious price difference the Sonore PS is too big as my rack is already pretty full. Plus my existing LPS-1 seems to be doing a great job with my MR. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

13 hours ago, tboooe said:

I've only done two things thus far...adding the LPS-1 power supply and a Wireworld Ultraviolet HDMI cable.  Both had discernible positive impact on my system.  More mods to come courtesy of a member way smarter than me!

Great stuff @tboooe

Tim at Kitsune has agreed to send the conversion kit to me (I'm in the UK). 

I can buy the LPS-1 locally. 

And I ordered my Wireworld starlight 7 last weekend! 

My SU-1 is already sounding great in my system so I can't wait to hear what it sounds like after this makeover. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a MicroRendu (as roon endpoint) sending a very nice USB signal to my SU-1, which then sends an even nicer :D I2S signal to my DAC. I think the combo is outstanding but I need to admit I haven't tried the SU-1 without the MR.

In response to the upstream/downstream components part of the question.

Upstream is a QNAP HS-251+ running Roon server.

Downstream is the PS Audio Directstream DAC

So the DAC is no slouch but the SU-1 / MR combo has definitely improved SQ.

4 minutes ago, m5sime said:

The PSU makes sense, but isn't that three XMOS USB stages? Potentially four if used USB from singxer to DAC (not that people would I assume)

Yeah I had the same concerns with my MR>SU-1 route. Intuitively more direct seems like the safer option. But the combo just works. 

That said I'm in the process of upgrading the power supply for the SU-1. And I'm closely following the IsoRegen and UltraRendu threads wondering if there's more to be squeezed out of this setup. But admittedly that's just greed as I'm already delighted with the sound. 

A noob question that probably highlights how out of depth I am attempting this! Gulp! 

My Kitsune conversion kit arrived :D

I can't open the SU-1! :|

Looks like I need some sort of tiny allen key. Can someone less useless than me advise what tools I need to buy? 

Many Thanks, 

Alan 

PS my LPS-1 had been here and waiting since last Thursday. Now the Kitsune kit needs to wait..... How frustrating! 

Thanks @tboooe & @Forehaven

Ordered from the nice folks at Amazon. A few more days to wait I guess... 

Fair question. 

I'm very busy at work and couldn't guarantee getting away at lunch time tomorrow. Whereas Amazon will deliver on Friday and it's sorted. 

1 minute ago, Energy said:

Can't resist 2 day free shipping from Amazon Prime.

Yup - exactly. I don't care if they are taking over the world - they had me at 2 day delivery.... :P

PS the chances of me reaching for a soldering iron and trying the other mods were already pretty unlikely. Chances of me attempting an assault on the summit of Everest just leapfrogged the soldering iron!! 

Thanks @elan120

IMAG0380.jpg

IMAG0381.jpg

The nervosa got the better of me. Cancelled Amazon and went to the hardware store. 

Sitting listening to the SU-1 with the LPS-1,  courtesy of the nice folks at Kitsune and oh my word! You guys were not wrong. What a difference! 

Only a couple hours burn in / warm up but I heard the difference immediately. 

The SU-1 doing I2S into my system already sounded great. It's now amazing! I'm sooo happy :x

Hi Simon, 

Yup - just the LPS-1 power supply switch. 

And intrigued as I am at the other potential mods, doing this was enough to tell me I'm not cut out for changing capacitors etc! I just about managed this.... 

Cheers, 

Alan 

4 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Fab well done! I read more of the thread and saw your pics ? what level of difference on a 10 point scale would you say this gave you? I'm in the struggle to hear difference when I tweak camp. But do hear differences at shows when major components changed.  

I'm half thinking modded SU1 and half Mutec..  But the LPS 1 needs factoring in with your feedback 

Very hard question to answer in terms of putting a number on it. 

Put it this way. I've done plenty mods (new wires, ethernet isolators, better power supply for my router!!) where I wasn't sure if there was a difference or not. 

This one I knew straight away it was better. And within playing a few tracks I'd a big smile on my face. So no number, but a smile. Hope that counts. 

5 hours ago, elan120 said:

Very nice!!! welcome to the modded SU-1 club.  Will you be or consider making main board regulator and the 5 electrolytic capacitors change as well?  They will help improve SQ another noticeable step forward.

Thanks - delighted to join the club :D

I'm intrigued and tempted by the further SQ benefits of these mods but I feel doing just this simple mod showed me I don't have the skills and would end up with a brick! 

I saw scan80269 offer to do the mods for others but he's in the US and I'm in the UK. I might have to settle for the amazing SQ I heard last night and put super-amazing SQ on the wishlist for further down the road.... 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, electrafixion said:

I meant most of us have done the mods outlined in this thread to both the power supply and digital board, which make the Kitsune mods moot.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. 

I've done the Kitsune upgrade and hugely appreciate the difference the LPS-1 makes. 

I'm considering the other upgrades but for reasons including my own technical ineptitude with soldering haven't taken the plunge. Nonetheless I don't concur these make the Kitsune upgrade moot. The Kitsune upgrade is but one item on the SQ menu of life... 

Regards, 

Alan 

10 minutes ago, electrafixion said:

Of course an lps1 is going to be better that upgrading the stock power supply.  The  Kitsune mods he is asking about are kitsunes own power supply upgrades, not the lps1. The discussions on this thread explain how to do equivalent or better mods than Kitsune offers. 

Sorry @electrafixionbut your condescending tone is starting to piss me off. 

I've read this whole thread  more than once. I bought the Kitsune kit from the US even though I'd to persuade Tim at Kitsune to post a 30 dollar kit to the UK despite the courier and import duties outweighing the actual cost of the purchase. 

My point is that these were well informed and well researched decisions. 

The Kitsune kit BTW allows me to power my SU-1 by an LPS-1. 

I'm also toying with the other capacitor mods. Similarly I'm keeping abreast of the clock sCLk-EX mods. I may or may not go for these. 

The Op asked a reasonable question and comments like "I think we are beyond that" just strike me as unduly dismissive. It's perhaps a style thing. 

Regards, 

Alan 

3 minutes ago, Duy Le said:

If you read all posts of Scan, elan and Energy carefully you will understand what electrafixion said. Kitsune SU-1 replace regulator and caps the power board, replace caps on digital board and replace the silver wire. But the general mod in this thread replace TWO regulators and caps, the caps topology in digital board is also optimize to make regulator run best (remove 4 ceramic caps, use Panasonic FR caps)

Hi @electrafixion

It seems I am in the wrong here. I seem to have misunderstood what you meant. 

My apologies. I thought you were being dismissive but I seem to have misinterpreted your posts. My bad! 

Regards, 

Alan