IGNORED

Why I think Roon is overpriced even though I've never tried it

11 minutes ago, Booster MPS said:

Thing is with Roon, you have to run the Core on something - I don't think that is a solution that Apple is invested in providing or iOS customer willing to purchase (ie a box to run Core)

They've made it public that their goal is to allow the Core in the cloud eventually.

It's on their roadmap.

It's a big job so understandably no timeline.

2 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

They've made it public that their goal is to allow the Core in the cloud eventually.

It's on their roadmap.

Core in cloud is HUGE.  That would make investing in a NUC to run Core a thing of the past.  Game changer.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Booster MPS said:

Core in cloud is HUGE.  That would make investing in a NUC to run Core a thing of the past.  Game changer.  Thanks!

Absolutely it is huge, so expect it to take a while. Hence there is no timeline from the Roon chaps - understandable.

3 minutes ago, Booster MPS said:

That would make investing in a NUC to run Core a thing of the past.

And since there is no timeline, the physical Core is going to be very much the present for a long while. So we shouldn't get too excited so early. It's a big job.

But one day, yes, it will be cool.

Apple’s model has been to give away the software for free. Roon is the polar opposite, they charge a huge price.  Thus difficult to see them being a natural match. 

And Apple has yet to show in interest in high res music.  I doubt they’d want both iTunes and Roon, too confusing to have 2 music apps.  Also not sure the music magazine approach would integrate well with iTunes. 

I’d love for Apple to buy it as Roon would then be likely free!

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

It's on their roadmap.

Good. I said long time that’s the way to go, but I did not knew it was a public goal yet. 

Then I would not be surprised if price goes up for those who prefer the cloud solution. Will also be interesting so see how many GB of storage will be included. I pay $99 a year for unlimited space. 

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

And since there is no timeline, the physical Core is going to be very much the present for a long while. So we shouldn't get too excited so early. It's a big job.

But one day, yes, it will be cool.

It’s not a big job as I see it. But a huge cost. There is almost no difference installing Roon in the cloud vs locally.