IGNORED

What is the purpose of the Lynx card?

zkeller

Hi,

Please excuse newbie question.

I see the use of an expensive AES Lynx card in the sample servers. What purpose does this card serve? If the computer puts out a data stream to the USB DAC, I was wondering why one needs the Lynx?

Is it because the computer would do only 8 or 16 bit and the Lynx upgrades to 24 bit, or what?

Thanks,

Zane

Zane

The Lynx card is used where you have a DAC with AES inputs (profession standard version of SPDIF) but no high quality USB or FireWire input.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

the simple answer to your question is that the Lynx card is an AES/EBU interface from the computer to a DAC. Keep in mind that it's a pro piece with 16 inputs/ouputs and has other functions. It provides the ideal input to exising DACs that do not have usb and firewire inputs. Now some of us use the card because of it's signature sound, but that is a story for another day. Each of the solutions from usb, firewire or some kind of audio card have there own specificaton and limitations on the bit and sample rate of playback. The max bit rate and sample rate of playback is related to a bunch of things though like the file, the playtback software, the card or interface used and even your dac. My point is you need a complete chain for proper playback.

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Zane,

the most likely source of degradation to the signal will be within your music player's software, particularly if you're using Windows, and esp. iTunes on Windows.

iTunes on a Mac is fine if you uncheck the special features.

cheers

clay

There are two standard USB modes for data transfer- an asynchronous mode where the DAC clock controls the data transfer (as long as USB is working well without excess loading), and adaptive, where the computer controls the transfers, and for which the jitter is much higher. The asynchronous protocol is preferred for sound quality. Products using the asynchronous mode include Wavelength Audio, dCS, and the Ayre QB-9. Most other products, including the Benchmark DAC and the PS-Audio DL-III (both of which I've owned) use adaptive mode. They can sound fairly pleasant under good conditions, but most users report they don't have the clarity and imaging of a good asynchronous mode DAC.

Your Benchmark DAC, if it's the model that supports USB input, is quite usable for music playback, but it's not the last word in fidelity- of course, it's not the last word in monetary cost, either! However, if you haven't already purchased a Benchmark, you might want to audition a product like the Wavelength Proton, which uses the Asynchronous mode and is in a similar price range, if USB is your preferred method of transfer. Advantages of USB include it being available and built in without an extra cost purchase in most modern systems, and with a good asynchronous mode implementation, low jitter is possible at moderate cost.

AES/EBU tends to be found more in what some would call legacy DACs, designed for "traditional" DAC inputs. A good implementation can sound very good (hence the popularity of the Lynx cards), but it can also be subject to quality variation in the implementation, which impacts the sonics, but not quite to the degree of adaptive USB. Adaptive USB was developed a long time ago, and more intended for computer speaker applications than high quality DACs; I have a old set of Microsoft USB input speakers developed by PHilips(sub and satellite) on my old Powermac G5 which is just for audio playback watching DVD or iTunes. The funny thing is that Vista doesn't recognize or support them for some reason (changes in audio driver specs?) But WIN98SE, WIN2K, and XP did.

keep in mind that the Benchmark is capable 24/192 playback, but limted to 24/96 playback via usb. Its not the end of world as most of the content will be cd quality and 24/96 downloads, but you will not be able to listen to select titles in 24/176.4 and 24/192....

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Hi Eloise. I'm sorry for the redundancy of my question. I recently had a problem connecting my desk top computer to my DacMagic to my stereo system. However, I was able to connect when I used my notebook computer (via USB) with no issues. I then decided to try the Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1 Sound Card with my desk top. The sound card works great, using the Toslink optical out to my DacMagic. For the first time, after making the appropriate settings, the light indicator for the Incoming Sample Rate on my DacMagic is lighting up as 96Khz. Via USB, the incoming rate was limited to 44.1 Khz. Can I assume that the data being transferred through the Toslink connection from the Auzentech into my DacMagic is the better option between the aforementioned and the USB option from computer to DAC?

I appreciate any advice or opinions. Thanks to all.

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers

Yes, the TOSLink (and Co-ax) SPDIF connectors give you better capability with the DACMagic - allowing upt o 24/96k signal. In terms of sound quality, you need to try both options. Though jitter levels were measured (by Sterepohile magazine) as lower when using the SPDIF inputs vs. USB input.

A caveat to that is that you should try to look at bypassing the Windows audio subsystem which sounds like currently is resampling everything to 96k. How you do this will depend on what music player you are using. When playing back CD sourced material it is preferable for the output to be 44.1k and only increasing to 96k when used with hi-resolution material.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Unfortunately we seem to have strayed from my original question and I am still none the wiser.

If I have a computer that puts out SPDIF and I attach a DAC to it and then to my hifi, what would the $700 Lynx card bring to the system?

Thanks again for your help.

Zane

Zane

If you have a computer with an SPDIF output, the Lynx AES16e card gives you an alternative digital path (via AES3 standard) which may result in an improved sound quality by offering a lower jitter source.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Zane - The Lynx cards are a very low jitter digital I/O source. They also support internal and external clocking. Based on my listening tests the Lynx card sounds much better than built-in digital outputs on Macintosh computers. In addition some readers here have used the Mini-Toslink adapter to connect a regular TosLink cable to their Macs. This has resulted in serious problems playing 24/96 content. The Lynx has no such issues.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and using Media Monkey as my music player. I see what you mean about the difference between CD sourced material and hi-rez material. I take it I should adjust the settings in the Auzentech X-FI Forte? Most of the music I have is CD sourced. I'm not at my home computer now, but I'll look at the settings to see if it will automatically change when Hi-Rez files are playing. Great. Thanks for lending your expertise.

Renerator

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers

Chris,

Do I understand correctly that there are jitter issues from software to digital output and then again from digital output to DAC? The Lynx card handles the jitter up to the digital output and the DAC cares for the jitter from the digital output to the analog signal?

Is it worth the $700 if the DAC is going to be $1000?

Zane

Zane

Hi Zane,

I've tried a number of S/PDIF audio interface devices and found my OMZ DAC sound a lot more balanced and detailed, i.e. more musical, when using the AES16e card. The result is on par with using a high-end CD transport, such as the C.E.C. TL2.

You may not need a high-quality audio interface card if your DAC employs either Asynchronous Firewire or USB connection. This means to save the $700 for an upgrade. I realized this once getting my Metric Halo ULN-2.

However, different DACs do sound differently. You may prefer sonics of ones over the others. If you like DAC1's sounds, then you will get "better" sounds from upgrading your (PC) transport.

• 2 weeks later...

Do I understand this right?: That the Lynx card which puts out balanced AES can also put out a S/PDIF too that I can use on a S/PDIF input on a dac that only accepts S/PDIF?

Also, I have an older G5, single core that looks only to accept PCI cards. So I want the PCI version then if I can do the above till I can upgrade dacs?

Thanks,

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

@vortecjr

How would you describe the Lynx's signature sound?

Best

Jens

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Chris ... have you ever compared the Lynx card to the RME or other similar cards? Or do you just go on what others have tested? Especially with the Lynx AES16e (PCIe) not being as highly recommended as the PCI version, and also the AES16 needing extra adaptors for SPDIF - maybe a comparison to the RME HDSPe AIO would be useful, and also to the AES version for those who need dual-wire AES.

Just a thought...

Eloise

Eloise

---

to me its about a clean signal and soundstage. Espically, when paired with certain dacs like the Afpha DAC. We don't keep a list on the results of pairing the Lynx AES16 with certain dacs, but maybe we should. I can tell you my customers have used it and likes it with the Benchmark and the DSC DAC in dual wire mode. If you search on the forum you will find others that also worked well with it. I should tell you that each dac is different and different settings/drivers have different results both good and bad so you have to play with it.

I second the motion on not using the Lynx AES16 as a straight spdif source. They have other cards for that job. If you insist you can read this post for some alternativea to the DIY project:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Computer-PS-Audio-DAC-III

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

VortecJR ... I think you have a typo in your .sig ...

"Sonore Fanless Server -> Windows Vista (7 on it's way) -> J. River with ASIO/WASAPI -> 1' Custom Made Firewire Cable -> Wiess Minerva -> Existing Rotel/BMW System"

Eloise

Eloise

---

Thanks Chris, Eloise and Jesus. The reason I'm thinking the Lynx AES PCI is for future use with something like the Alpha DAC....when I can afford that piece. Just read the review on the dCS gear, and I know I'll never be able to afford that rig lol

But for now, the Lynx card and a AES to S/PDIF converter sounds like a plan.

Thanks again for all the suggesions!

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.