IGNORED

USB cable over 5m?

I would like to connect my Mac to a Lead Audio NF DAC-384 using a 7m USB cable

I also have an iFi USBpower so the power supply would be separate for the USB signal

Before I go and search for a quality 7m USB cable is this even possible?

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8

I would like to connect my Mac to a Lead Audio NF DAC-384 using a 7m USB cable

I also have an iFi USBpower so the power supply would be separate for the USB signal

Before I go and search for a quality 7m USB cable is this even possible?

No. The USB standard is for 5M maximum without a USB extender, which if used is likely to cause increased Jitter which will quite likely degrade audio quality .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Standard is standard ... but I noticed Supra produces USB2.0 cables of 0.7m, 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m, 10m, 12m, 15m lengths.

Supra cables - HDMI cables for 4k, Digital Video and Audio, USB, Cat7+ Ethernet, Fibre Optic, Quadrax, LoRad power cables, Sword Analogue and Speaker cables

https://www.amazon.de/Supra-Cables-USB-2-0-Kabel/dp/B00GTSSTF0

If anyone is using lengths over 5m, with or without active extender: what are your experiences?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
ok, ordered....will report back

That looks similar to those Monoprice has. Those work up to at least 82.5 ft (25 m). I have a 15 meter one I use all the time. No issues at all. 192khz/24 bit no glitches, dropouts or any other problem.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I have a 15 meter one I use all the time.

Perhaps that explains a lot ? (grin)

The best USB cable is no USB cable, or the shortest possible USB cable ,with wherever possible no noisy +5V from the computer in it !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

No. The USB standard is for 5M maximum without a USB extender, which if used is likely to cause increased Jitter which will quite likely degrade audio quality .

That is the maximum that guarantees you standard USB performance. But I've successfully used a 7m cable without any problems. However, knowing that I was exceeding the standard, I did buy a better than average cable.

- Richard.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

That is the maximum that guarantees you standard USB performance.

The problem is that not all USB cables, despite what they may have printed on the jacket, are really USB 2.0 compliant.

I have seen USB cables where the data and power leads aren't individually twisted pairs, and a 5M long USB cable that didn't have any screening (!!!), presumably to reduce capacitance and make sure it worked.

The problem is that not all USB cables, despite what they may have printed on the jacket, are really USB 2.0 compliant.

I have seen USB cables where the data and power leads aren't individually twisted pairs, and a 5M long USB cable that didn't have any screening (!!!), presumably to reduce capacitance and make sure it worked.

That was my point about buying a good cable.

- Richard.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

He can safely use a USB to CAT5e Balun to extend the run. The DAC will reclock the incoming signal and successfully remove jitter therefore successfully reconstructing the data-gram.

Standard is standard ... but I noticed Supra produces USB2.0 cables of 0.7m, 1m, 2m, 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m, 10m, 12m, 15m lengths.

Supra cables - HDMI cables for 4k, Digital Video and Audio, USB, Cat7+ Ethernet, Fibre Optic, Quadrax, LoRad power cables, Sword Analogue and Speaker cables

https://www.amazon.de/Supra-Cables-USB-2-0-Kabel/dp/B00GTSSTF0

If anyone is using lengths over 5m, with or without active extender: what are your experiences?

I've used, multiple times, both USB and HDMI extenders with zero issues.

Auralic Aries Femto > Yulong DA8 Hoer-Wege mods > KEF LS50W, [iSine 10,  Denon D7200] 
Desktop - Adam Artist 5 and Sub 8