IGNORED

Sim audio or Blue circle please advise

Im looking for a new amp to compliment my Dynaudio 340s

5k (canadian) is pretty well my ceiling ( If its to be a sooner than later purchase ) .

The 2 main amps im considering are the Blue circle ELD-BD and the Sim audio moon 340i

i presently have the Simaudio moon 280i

Im intimately familiar with Sim audio products , and as far as Blue circle goes , i read and hear nothing but raves

I ve heard folk say negative things about simaudio , tho im pleased with my gear

This decision im wanting to make would be way easier if Blue circle had a lengthier warranty

Thats my main/only concern , is such a wee 3 year warranty on a 5k amp , where Sim audio has a sweet 10 year warranty ( and other amps on my radar , i think Krell ? have 20 year warranties ) .

Should the warranty difference here be a concern in this purchase ?

Id really love some input on that as well

Intriguing to me is the tube section in the ELD-BD

i ve never owned or heard a tube amp . Children were my concern for never purchasing a tube . Now that they re adults im considering one ( Tho ELD-BD tube is internal) .

How good can this single tube be in a amp ? Considering any tube amp i ve ever seen is at least 4 tubes

Many months of research informs me of Gilberts design genius ,and no one has ever accused him of even average , so im considering this purchase seriously

The ability to switch between a tube and SS as mood and music genre changes may be a sweet thing to be able to do .

im open to considering other options as well (It does nt cost to look ) .

Thanks

I have not heard the BC amp you are considering, but I am a Blue Circle Audio devotee. I love my BC-202 (hybrid tube/solid state design) amp, as well as my BC power conditioners and when/if the time ever comes to 'upgrade' anything the first place I will look is Blue Circle. I've had my amp for over 10 years and never had one operational issue so I personally would not worry about the warranty, but that is just my experience. I have never heard of any reliability issues with any BC gear on any of the audio fora that I visit.

Gilbert builds these amps himself and he is a true craftsman- I don't think you could find anyone that is more skilled at building amps. It is somewhat rare these days to have your amp built by the designer/owner of the company.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I have not heard the BC amp you are considering, but I am a Blue Circle Audio devotee. I love my BC-202 (hybrid tube/solid state design) amp, as well as my BC power conditioners and when/if the time ever comes to 'upgrade' anything the first place I will look is Blue Circle. I've had my amp for over 10 years and never had one operational issue so I personally would not worry about the warranty, but that is just my experience. I have never heard of any reliability issues with any BC gear on any of the audio fora that I visit.

Gilbert builds these amps himself and he is a true craftsman- I don't think you could find anyone that is more skilled at building amps. It is somewhat rare these days to have your amp built by the designer/owner of the company.

Thank you mate

Can you please share your impressions of the tube section ?

As i said i ve never seen a single tube amp in my life , im wondering how good it performs and the differences you hear between it and the SS secion and any other impressions you can share

Thank you

Thank you mate

Can you please share your impressions of the tube section ?

As i said i ve never seen a single tube amp in my life , im wondering how good it performs and the differences you hear between it and the SS secion and any other impressions you can share

Thank you

The tube section on my amp is not switchable, like the amp you are considering. On my amp, the tube and solid state sections are both always active so I'm afraid I couldn't comment on the tube section by itself.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

"Many months of research informs me of Gilberts design genius ,and no one has ever accused him of even average , so im considering this purchase seriously"

It doesn’t matter. Its like food. If you don't like a certain type of food, it doesn't matter how good the chef is. Some of the smartest people in the world design audio equipment. That doesn't mean you have to like it all. This is a choice that only you can make.

For your speakers you need an amp that provides good clean power. You can use tube or solid state. For tube, I would look at: ARC VT-100 (any version), Quicksilver V4, Cary V12, Sonic Frontiers Power 2 or 3. (Sonic Frontiers is very popular in Canada).

For solid state: Ayre V-5, ARC Class T, or the older D series, Parasound Halo, Bryston 3 or 4 SST, Proceed HPA 2, Krell KAV 250a. (I mention the Krell because its very under rated and I see them sell at very low prices.

All of those amps will do a very good job driving your speakers, but they all sound different. I'm pretty sure I've owned all of them at one time or another, so I know they can deliver enough power, you just have to pick the one that sounds best for you. My personal favorite for SS is the Ayre. I have the V-5's in my current system. For tube, I like the Quicksilver best. The VT-100 is almost as good and you can get very good deals on them used.

Gamut is a great Canadian option too.

As in Gamut Audio, from Denmark? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Denmark is in Canada, dummy.
As you wish. New Yorkers are known to be geography challenged when it comes to anywhere other than New York.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 months later...
"Many months of research informs me of Gilberts design genius ,and no one has ever accused him of even average , so im considering this purchase seriously"

It doesn’t matter. Its like food. If you don't like a certain type of food, it doesn't matter how good the chef is. Some of the smartest people in the world design audio equipment. That doesn't mean you have to like it all. This is a choice that only you can make.

For your speakers you need an amp that provides good clean power. You can use tube or solid state. For tube, I would look at: ARC VT-100 (any version), Quicksilver V4, Cary V12, Sonic Frontiers Power 2 or 3. (Sonic Frontiers is very popular in Canada).

For solid state: Ayre V-5, ARC Class T, or the older D series, Parasound Halo, Bryston 3 or 4 SST, Proceed HPA 2, Krell KAV 250a. (I mention the Krell because its very under rated and I see them sell at very low prices.

All of those amps will do a very good job driving your speakers, but they all sound different. I'm pretty sure I've owned all of them at one time or another, so I know they can deliver enough power, you just have to pick the one that sounds best for you. My personal favorite for SS is the Ayre. I have the V-5's in my current system. For tube, I like the Quicksilver best. The VT-100 is almost as good and you can get very good deals on them used.

Thank you for those suggestions