IGNORED

Microrendu - 3 questions

I currently run two streaming devices, a Melco N1A NAS is used for playing music files and an Auralic Aries for streaming from Qobuz. I would ideally like to just have one device to cover both files and Qobuz. The Aries can do that, but the N1A has better SQ - in my system anyway, hence the shared duties.

The Microrendu looks like it could potentially fit the bill and I was hoping that experienced MR users could maybe help me with some questions.

1. Has anyone compared the MR with either of the Aries and the N1A for sound quality? It would have to be better than Aries and at least as good as N1A to be a worthwhle purchase.

2. Is there any way of streaming Qobuz through MR? All references that I have seen are for Tidal.

3. What do I use for a control app on iDevices? I like the look of Roon but it seems that I would have to have a computer running in the background which I would prefer to avoid.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts and comments.

Thanks.

I currently run two streaming devices, a Melco N1A NAS is used for playing music files and an Auralic Aries for streaming from Qobuz. I would ideally like to just have one device to cover both files and Qobuz. The Aries can do that, but the N1A has better SQ - in my system anyway, hence the shared duties.

The Microrendu looks like it could potentially fit the bill and I was hoping that experienced MR users could maybe help me with some questions.

1. Has anyone compared the MR with either of the Aries and the N1A for sound quality? It would have to be better than Aries and at least as good as N1A to be a worthwhle purchase.

Here is one customer's feedback:

Link to AudioCircle thread

2. Is there any way of streaming Qobuz through MR? All references that I have seen are for Tidal.

I just updated the SonicOrbiter - Tidal/Qobuz setup with OpenHome thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-tidal-qobuz-setup-openhome-28520/

3. What do I use for a control app on iDevices? I like the look of Roon but it seems that I would have to have a computer running in the background which I would prefer to avoid.

Your are going to need a DLNA server pointed to your music. You would then use Linn Kazoo as the controller.

Thanks.

The Melco N1A is capable to stream Qobuz using Bubbleupnp app, so you don't need the Auralic Aries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Thanks.

Based on everything I've read and seen it's not even close. Buy the MicroRendu.

JC

Based on everything I've read and seen it's not even close. Buy the MicroRendu.

JC

Not to stir up anything but it doesn't sound like you have tested all 3 devices side by side correct?

If so, I wouldn't make such a strong comment which could mislead the OP. I too have been impressed by the number of people purchasing the microRendu and replacing what they have used before including the devices the OP mentioned. However, there have been some who have hung on to the Aries and even those who replaced them have cited that the sound is close with a USB fixer on it.

There are also some albeit a minority who have sold the microRendu within a week.

I think it comes down to preference and a subjective judgement in the context of the user's own setup.

While cost wise, the microRendu may seem less, it jumps up when you need optical isolation (it doesn't run on wi fi) and sounds its best with HQ Player for which you need to purchase and futz around with a computer. If I could find one used at a decent price, I would try it.

Disclaimer: I run an Aries and decided to keep it after the new revised firmware and people whose ears I trust advised me that it was competitive against the microRendu and with better bass. Also because I didn't want to purchase a new computer. YMMV

Thanks for the replies. The problem with Bubble is that it doesn't work on iDevices - both my wife and I have iPhone and iPad so we need to use those for the control app. Once Melco release their own control app, I should be able to get Qobuz via the N1A.

The MicroRendu seems to be a very well conceived device and its small form factor is a further attraction. I have seen very positive comments about its sound quality, but they were generall by comparison to a computer solution. I was hoping that some may have comparisons with audio hardware such as Aries, Melco etc.

I know that the only way to know for sure is to try the microRendu through my own system, but I don't like to order items for home trial unless there is a reasonably good chance that I will keep it.

However, there have been some who have hung on to the Aries and even those who replaced them have cited that the sound is close with a USB fixer on it.

I have a W4S RUR arriving today to see if that makes a difference. I agree that the new firmware does seem to sound better, but it's hard to judge as I am now using my Aries LE since my main Aries is en route to Auralic for repair.

I do like the simplicity of the Aries approach and the app has made decent progress lately, I just need to get the sound quality up to the level of the Melco via USB. That may never happen though since the Melco plays the files direct to DAC whilst the Aries has to draw them from the Melco. I generally find that the simpler the path, the better it sounds.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a W4S RUR arriving today to see if that makes a difference. I agree that the new firmware does seem to sound better, but it's hard to judge as I am now using my Aries LE since my main Aries is en route to Auralic for repair.

I do like the simplicity of the Aries approach and the app has made decent progress lately, I just need to get the sound quality up to the level of the Melco via USB. That may never happen though since the Melco plays the files direct to DAC whilst the Aries has to draw them from the Melco. I generally find that the simpler the path, the better it sounds.

Thanks for the feedback.

I use a W4S RUR and it made a difference for me. I use an iFi iPower to power it in place of the switching power supply. Even more with the Curious Regen Link in place of the stock short USB supplied with it.

Let us know what you think.

Sorry to hear your Aries was bricked by the 4.0.5 update. I am trying 4.0.6 now which is cleaner but prefer 4.0.4 overall.

Thanks for the replies. The problem with Bubble is that it doesn't work on iDevices - both my wife and I have iPhone and iPad so we need to use those for the control app.

You may be confusing BubbleUPnP the app with BubbleUPnP Server. BubbleUPnP Server is a supplemental installation to a UPnP / DLNA server software, enabling one to use the OpenHome protocol. BubbleUPnP app is not needed. Apps available on iOS like Linn Kazoo or Lumin work with an OpenHome server to provide Tidal and Qobuz.

BubbleUPnP app is not needed. Apps available on iOS like Linn Kazoo or Lumin work with an OpenHome server to provide Tidal and Qobuz.

That is really interesting, thanks. I was advised that I needed an Android app until the Melco app is released. I am currently using Lumin to control my Melco N1A, but I cannot see anyway of accessing Qobuz. It would be great if I could - do you have any suggestions as to how to do it?

You need to set up your Qobuz/Tidal account on the Lumin hardware device, which I obviously cannot do.

Assuming your Melco operates as a UPnP / DLNA server, try going to http://www.bubblesoftapps.com, and follow the instructions to download and install BubbleUPnP Server.

Access BubbleUPnP Server in your browser; set up your renderer as an OpenHome media renderer.

Screenshots below of Linn Kazoo and Lumin apps on iPad with login option for Qobuz.

1469452578017.jpg

1469452562586.jpg

Thanks very much, I will look into that. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Melco can run as UPnP or Open Home. I set it to Open Home since I prefer the play data to be held on the device rather than the app.

The Melco's support of OpenHome (mode 1), does not extend to OpenHome Streaming Services, unlike other OpenHome supporting renderers, such as the Lumin & Linn devices. Hence the reason why neither TIDAL nor Qobuz access isn't available when using the Lumin & Kazoo Openhome controller apps with the Melco, but is available when using those same apps to control the Lumin and Linn players. It may be worth you asking Melco's developers if they intend updating the N1A's OpenHome capabilities to include OpenHome Streaming Services, as mentioned on the OpenHome.org developers info pages:

OhMediaDevelopers - OpenHome

Also, if you do intend using the BubbleUPnP Server helper application with the Melco as suggested, you need to set the Melco to (standard) UPnP (mode 0) as opposed to OpenHome. This is because the BubbleUPnP Server will now be providing the OpenHome functions (including the 'missing' Streaming Services) for the Melco operating as a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks Cebolla, that is what I was struggling with. You currently need an Android app to access Qobuz via Melco. Melco have their own Apple app under development which will allow Qobuz access. I think it is expected around October, but timescales are always difficult to call with these software developments.

I think I will probably have to stick with the two streaming sources for now, at least until the Melco app comes out. I'm tempted to try the MicroRendu, but I'm not convinced that it will give me an improvement over the Melco in terms of sound quality. I have seen nothing to suggest that it will so far and it will complicate my set up insofar as I would need to have a computer running in the background, which is something that I prefer to avoid.

I guess I just want to have my cake and eat it. ;)