IGNORED

Help Me Understand How To Make A MicroRendu Work In My System?

I would like to add a MicroRendu to my system after reading all the comments regarding its sound quality. I am trying to make sure I understand how it works. In The Review by The Computer Audiophile, he says "Inserting the microRendu into this chain enables one to remove the music server entirely. This simplifies the audio chain and removes the maintenance and cost of an "extra" computer and all its accessories. The new playback path is simply NAS to microRendu to audio system. All controlled by the an iOS or Android device." In my system, I have a NAS, and want to put the Microrendu into the chain instead of purchasing something like an Aurender N100, or similar device. Can I just add it in that way, and apparently I control it with an IOS or Android phone, preferably my iPad? If that is correct, what software can I use on my iPad to access the music on my NAS?

Also has anyone found a truly good power supply that can be used with the MicroRendu for $600.00 or less? The iFi seems to be only a low end audio option and the one from Sonore is twice the price of the MicroRendu itself. That and the MicroRendu then become a more than $2000.00 choice. Very different cost territory.

I have a microRendu and am powering it with the $50 iFi power supply which is plugged in to a PSAudio P5. It sounds great even with the low cost 9v power supply solution. Several supplies are forthcoming and in development. Several will be in your price range. The microRendu input is a Cat5/6 cable, and output is USB. It has several modes, and I prefer using it with Roon, but you can also use it with DLNA, Airplay, and squeezelite. In my case, Roon core is on my imac in the office, and the main media system (and microRendu) is in another room connected via ethernet over power modules. The microRendu is fed by an ethernet cable, and the USB output plugs into your DACs USB input. If you were using it at your computer station, hookup would be very straight forward.

Uptone Audio LPS in development $395

Channel Islands - available. $330

Teddy Pardo - available about $400

HDPlex - available about $400

I have a microRendu and am powering it with the $50 iFi power supply which is plugged in to a PSAudio P5. It sounds great even with the low cost 9v power supply solution. Several supplies are forthcoming and in development. Several will be in your price range. The microRendu input is a Cat5/6 cable, and output is USB. It has several modes, and I prefer using it with Roon, but you can also use it with DLNA, Airplay, and squeezelite. In my case, Roon core is on my imac in the office, and the main media system (and microRendu) is in another room connected via ethernet over power modules. The microRendu is fed by an ethernet cable, and the USB output plugs into your DACs USB input. If you were using it at your computer station, hookup would be very straight forward.

Uptone Audio LPS in development $395

Channel Islands - available. $330

Teddy Pardo - available about $400

HDPlex - available about $400

Thanks for the information. So it seems that you must have a pc involved, you cannot use the MicroRendu with just a tablet (running an app) and a DAC?

Thanks for the information. So it seems that you must have a pc involved, you cannot use the MicroRendu with just a tablet (running an app) and a DAC?

I think you can install Roon on your NAS if it supports it and use microRendu that way.

Alternatively, get an Aries. that works without a computer.

I would like to add a MicroRendu to my system after reading all the comments regarding its sound quality. I am trying to make sure I understand how it works. In The Review by The Computer Audiophile, he says "Inserting the microRendu into this chain enables one to remove the music server entirely. This simplifies the audio chain and removes the maintenance and cost of an "extra" computer and all its accessories. The new playback path is simply NAS to microRendu to audio system. All controlled by the an iOS or Android device." In my system, I have a NAS, and want to put the Microrendu into the chain instead of purchasing something like an Aurender N100, or similar device. Can I just add it in that way, and apparently I control it with an IOS or Android phone, preferably my iPad? If that is correct, what software can I use on my iPad to access the music on my NAS?

Also has anyone found a truly good power supply that can be used with the MicroRendu for $600.00 or less? The iFi seems to be only a low end audio option and the one from Sonore is twice the price of the MicroRendu itself. That and the MicroRendu then become a more than $2000.00 choice. Very different cost territory.

Yes, you can do that. The only limitation is you probably won't be able to do heavy duty upsampling from your NAS. It should be fine for straight playback to the mR, though.

You need to add some kind of software for sever playback from the NAS - something compatible with one of the modes of the mR: so something like JRiver, Roon, minimServer, MPad, LMS, and so on.

The app for your iPad will depend on the server playback software you install in the NAS. You get the app that matches the server software.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My Roon Core is on my newer iMac desktop near my router. I use attached storage of music on an SSD Raid drive attached via USB to the iMac. NAS should also work.

You might get by using an outboard music server like Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter, or JRiver Id, in conjunction with a decent wifi setup.

sonicTransporter – Small Green Computer

JRiver Id

So it seems that you must have a pc involved, you cannot use the MicroRendu with just a tablet (running an app) and a DAC?
No, you don't need a pc or mac running to play music via microRendu. I use it with minimserver running on my NAS and control the music via free apps Lumin or Linn Kazoo(personal preference) on my iPad. You can also use android or iPhone apps. I believe any OpenHome compatible app will work. The mR is set to MPD/DLNA mode.

You do need to open a browser and visit sonicorbiter.com during the initial setup for the microRendu; not sure if this can be done from the browser on a tablet, as I used my Macbook to do so.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Is there a tablet, I'm thinking of the iPad Pro, that has the horsepower to run Roon and would stop the need for software on the NAS or elsewhere?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-2-can-ipad-now-stream-music-or-not/9553/8

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-the-minimum-system-hardware-requirements/103

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/suggested-hardware/90

sometimes best to go to the source

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 4 weeks later...