IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

I have this same question: Can anyone confirm that Oppo's 23 January 2017 release of firmware 83 - 1226 is ok to use for sacd ripping. I realize 'One and a half' previously responded to 'bailso' with "Firmware updates are not important, many Oppos are in different countries with varying firmware and still work as SACD rippers." Yet given that firmware updates made all the difference in the world with the old Playstations, I'd still like to know if anyone can confirm direct hands-on personal experience doing successful sacd ripping AFTER updating to the Jan 23 firmware release on his or her own Oppo?

Yes that was my concern. Thanks for revisiting this.

I just put 1226 on my 103D via a Network upgrade. I now get Congratulations, you have the latest firmware message.

I am still able to run sacd extract OK.

Also, I extracted 102 isos via wifi with never a hiccup. So wifi is not an issue as long as it is good wifi.

I'll be happy to help anybody in the Austin, TX area if any of you are near.

I just put 1226 on my 103D via a Network upgrade. I now get Congratulations, you have the latest firmware message.

I am still able to run sacd extract OK.

Also, I extracted 102 isos via wifi with never a hiccup. So wifi is not an issue as long as it is good wifi.

I'll be happy to help anybody in the Austin, TX area if any of you are near.

When can you come to the Midwest? haha!

I am amazed by the number of people who are able to so easily use their Oppos for SACD ripping but I am cursed with the 'failed to read libsacdread..." jinx. :(

When can you come to the Midwest? haha!

I am amazed by the number of people who are able to so easily use their Oppos for SACD ripping but I am cursed with the 'failed to read libsacdread..." jinx. :(

Thank you for posting ipconfig. The Oppo is on the same network, that's a start. The rest is a checklist, one or more of which still needs may be missing. Check your firewall that the TCP port 2002 is open and comms can run both ways. Ping is a low level comms tool, other software can be prevented from using this port.

CONFIRM THESE STEPS are completed.

OPPO settings:

Switch the MY NETWORK option to OFF.

Memory and automatic resume - Set these options both to OFF <---- ESSENTIAL

Prepare a small 2-8 GB blank USB Stick, use Bootice to create a new MBR, format the drive to FAT32.

Create an AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick.

Autoscript contains three files:

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

sacd_extract

Switch off the OPPO, place the USB stick into any convenient USB A connector on the OPPO.

Switch on OPPO, allow the stick to be read, and the drawer should open after a few moments.

You can leave your USB stick in your player or remove it.

If ISO2DSD doesn't work, try a command line method. Ensure the SACD extract.exe file is in the folder where you want to add in the SACD.ISO.

eg

c:\

cd SACD

c:\SACD>

SACD folder has SACD_Extract.exe included <-----

type : sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.7:2002 -P -I (ENTER) watch the spaces

The iso will be created in the C:\SACD folder.

The above information is here in this thread quite a few times.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

XLD handles multichannel just fine. WAV is not stereo-only.

In XLD how do you open a .dff file? I see the DSD importer settings but when I try to open the .dff I get an error "cannot open the input file". I get the option to open as RAW PCM (but the options there bare no resemblance to the DSD importer settings).

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

In XLD how do you open a .dff file? I see the DSD importer settings but when I try to open the .dff I get an error "cannot open the input file". I get the option to open as RAW PCM (but the options there bare no resemblance to the DSD importer settings).

.....sometimes I want to convert a single DSD track as a DFF or DSF file. I find that Saracon will not accept the .DFF format but is happy with .DSF. So please try whatever it is you are doing on your Mac and XLD with the DSF version of your file, rather than the DFF.

www.realafrica.net

Thank you for posting ipconfig. The Oppo is on the same network, that's a start. The rest is a checklist, one or more of which still needs may be missing. Check your firewall that the TCP port 2002 is open and comms can run both ways. Ping is a low level comms tool, other software can be prevented from using this port.

CONFIRM THESE STEPS are completed.

OPPO settings:

Switch the MY NETWORK option to OFF.

Memory and automatic resume - Set these options both to OFF <---- ESSENTIAL

Prepare a small 2-8 GB blank USB Stick, use Bootice to create a new MBR, format the drive to FAT32.

Create an AutoScript folder to the root of a USB stick.

Autoscript contains three files:

Autoscript

Autoscript.TSS

sacd_extract

Switch off the OPPO, place the USB stick into any convenient USB A connector on the OPPO.

Switch on OPPO, allow the stick to be read, and the drawer should open after a few moments.

You can leave your USB stick in your player or remove it.

If ISO2DSD doesn't work, try a command line method. Ensure the SACD extract.exe file is in the folder where you want to add in the SACD.ISO.

eg

c:\

cd SACD

c:\SACD>

SACD folder has SACD_Extract.exe included <-----

type : sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.7:2002 -P -I (ENTER) watch the spaces

The iso will be created in the C:\SACD folder.

The above information is here in this thread quite a few times.

Thank you so much for your careful recap of the steps needed to rip SACD with the Oppo! It is very much appreciated!

However, sadly, after going through each of the steps again (and again) the only one I had not done previously was to switch the MY NETWORK option to OFF -- which is what I did this time.

I also made sure my firewall allowed Port 2002 both ways -- which it did. In previous attempts, I usually paused the firewall, so it would not be a factor. But to make sure, I entered 2002 as safe.

With the folder & files in yet another freshly formatted USB stick, I tried 4 times (each time turning off the Oppo before repeating my effort) with no success.

No success with ISO2DSD OR the command-line option with sacd-extract. I always make note of the correct Oppo IP address to make sure. Lastly, I did another Ping with the Oppo's IP and it was perfect:

C:\Users\user>ping 192.168.1.4

Pinging 192.168.1.4 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.4: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.4:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

But I am STILL met with the miserable: "libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.4:2002 for reading" curse.

I am at a total loss. The only thing I might do is unplug the Oppo from its current rack and plug connect an ethernet cable from the Oppo directly to my PC. I just need the time to re-arrange my setup.

Thank you once again.

Raj

.....sometimes I want to convert a single DSD track as a DFF or DSF file. I find that Saracon will not accept the .DFF format but is happy with .DSF. So please try whatever it is you are doing on your Mac and XLD with the DSF version of your file, rather than the DFF.

"Since version 20141109, XLD is able to open and convert DSD files. It supports DSF (.dsf), DSDIFF (.dff) and SACD .iso formats. For DSF and DSDIFF formats, 2.8MHz (DSD64) and 5.6MHz (DSD128) files are supported."

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

I've looked through quite a few pages of this thread to see what players would and would not work. I don't see any sort of table, the only ones that consistently seem to work are the Oppo 103D and 105D. Are there any others?

Pioneer BDP-160/170

Pioneer Elite BDP-80fd

The above units are essentially identical, with the 160/170 intended for the Europe and Asia markets, and the Elite a North America model if I'm not mistaken.

The Pioneer units do not exhibit the same build quality as the Oppos, however you can still find them available, where the Oppo 103/105 were replaced with a newer model incompatible with SACD ripping and are now very hard to find.

The Pioneer should suffice if all you are using it for is SACD ripping, however if you intend to use the Pioneer for general movie/Blu-Ray player use as well, it might not have the same longevity as an Oppo due to the obviously inferior build.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I've looked through quite a few pages of this thread to see what players would and would not work. I don't see any sort of table, the only ones that consistently seem to work are the Oppo 103D and 105D. Are there any others?

If you hurry, the Cambridge Audio CXU works as an SACD ripper. A new model though is in the wings, and the CXU has reduced prices, but not sure how long that will last.

Thank you so much for your careful recap of the steps needed to rip SACD with the Oppo! It is very much appreciated!

However, sadly, after going through each of the steps again (and again) the only one I had not done previously was to switch the MY NETWORK option to OFF -- which is what I did this time.

I also made sure my firewall allowed Port 2002 both ways -- which it did. In previous attempts, I usually paused the firewall, so it would not be a factor. But to make sure, I entered 2002 as safe.

With the folder & files in yet another freshly formatted USB stick, I tried 4 times (each time turning off the Oppo before repeating my effort) with no success.

No success with ISO2DSD OR the command-line option with sacd-extract. I always make note of the correct Oppo IP address to make sure. Lastly, I did another Ping with the Oppo's IP and it was perfect:

C:\Users\user>ping 192.168.1.4

Pinging 192.168.1.4 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.4:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

But I am STILL met with the miserable: "libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.4:2002 for reading" curse.

I am at a total loss. The only thing I might do is unplug the Oppo from its current rack and plug connect an ethernet cable from the Oppo directly to my PC. I just need the time to re-arrange my setup.

Thank you once again.

Raj

Since we need to go further steps, I'd set the IP address of the OPPO permanently, rather than relay on DHCP from the router.

There are two ways to do this, some routers can assign a fixed IP to the Mac address, or you enter the details in the OPPO which is simpler.

Next, try another USB stick gosh a 500MB if possible to find, if not a new 2GB, create a partition on it with Bootice, format agan to FAT32,copy the Autoscript folder on it. Note the Sacd_extract on the stick has no extension. Some people have success with a new stick and creating a partition.

Since we need to go further steps, I'd set the IP address of the OPPO permanently, rather than relay on DHCP from the router.

There are two ways to do this, some routers can assign a fixed IP to the Mac address, or you enter the details in the OPPO which is simpler.

Next, try another USB stick gosh a 500MB if possible to find, if not a new 2GB, create a partition on it with Bootice, format agan to FAT32,copy the Autoscript folder on it. Note the Sacd_extract on the stick has no extension. Some people have success with a new stick and creating a partition.

OH MY GOODNESS!!! IT'S WORKING!!!!!!!! :)))))

I can not thank you enough, my friend and all who have also helped those of us who were having issues!! I am about 12 minutes into an SACD rip and I'm at 57%. I couldn't wait to thank you and report back.

I did indeed format another stick with FAT32, as I have done before, but the difference with the 3 files in the Autoscript folder is that ---- DRUM ROLL!! -- I had previously an .exe extension on Sacd_extract. Also the autoscript file I downloaded also had a .txt extension that I removed. So all three files are extensionless! (85% now...) -- thanks to your tip!

I am using ISO2DSD and after turning up the Oppo and closing the tray after it opened with the USB, I typed in the current, correct IP address and waited...for the dreaded message. But after about 6-7 seconds, the window on the Sonore utility began to rip...and rip. NOW COMPLETE! I ripped one of my precious SACDs so that I can now listen to it in full glory on my NAS instead the disc. Here is the log from my rip:

Disc Information:

Version: 1.20

Creation date: 2004-08-12

Catalog Number: UCGU-7033

Locale: en

Title: BILL EVANS AT THE MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL

Artist: BILL EVANS

Album Information:

Catalog Number: UCGU-7033

Sequence Number: 1

Set Size: 1

Locale: en

Title: BILL EVANS AT THE MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL

Artist: BILL EVANS

Area count: 1

Area Information [0]:

Version: 1.20

Track Count: 9

Speaker config: 2 Channel

Track list [0]:

Title[0]: ONE FOR HELEN

Title[1]: A SLEEPIN' BEE

Title[2]: MOTHER OF EARL

Title[3]: NARDIS

Title[4]: I LOVES YOU PORGY

Title[5]: THE TOUCH OF YOUR LIPS

Title[6]: EMBRACEABLE YOU

Title[7]: SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME

Title[8]: WALKIN' UP

ISRC Track [0]:

ISRC Track [1]:

ISRC Track [2]:

ISRC Track [3]:

ISRC Track [4]:

ISRC Track [5]:

ISRC Track [6]:

ISRC Track [7]:

ISRC Track [8]:

Processing [bILL EVANS - BILL EVANS AT THE MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL.iso] (1/1)..

Completed: 100% (2149.0MB), Total: 100% (2149.0MB) at 2.65MB/sec

We are done..

This is a wonderful forum, with so many excellent people to assist dummies like me having problems with the process. :)

Bless you!

Well I'll be damned! I didn't think anything would work on my setup so I gave up. But just stopping in for a peek, I saw the combined clues & tips and the doggone thing actually works. I also left the extensions on the autoscript files. Once they were off, I was off and running. Thanks to the community, great job!

<snip>We are done..

This is a wonderful forum, with so many excellent people to assist dummies like me having problems with the process. :)

Bless you!

It takes one final detail, then all the pieces fit together, congrats on sticking with it, the 'We are done...' is the best part of the whole process, cause it's listening time!

A tip : For some reason, a stupid mouse click, network drama, power failure can occur and the rip falls over part way through of the rip.

In this case, switch off the OPPO. Shutdown ISO2DSD and wait for a minute or so. Delete the unfinished .ISO with explorer.

Startup the OPPO again, then repeat the ripping process from the beginning. Unlike a download, the rip doesn't know where the end was and continue from where the interruption occurred. Even it could, there would be a huge mess, so best to start over fresh.

XLD handles multichannel just fine. WAV is not stereo-only.

How are you opening the .iso or .dff files in XLD?

EDIT: hmm...weirdly this started working. I have no idea what changed but I now seem to be able to open .iso