IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

10 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

mindset said "I do not know what you were getting that old version of sacd_extract."

I did mention I got it from Ted_B's Autoscript (in this thread), how could you tell that it was an old version of sacd_extract?

That is a little difficult one.  I believe the only publicly available version-controlled sources of sacd_extract executable are here: https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases  and the one in iso2dsd.  Perhaps you can compare md5sum of your executable with these?

14 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

I think the bottom line is that when I extract files from SACD's, I only need the DSF version because it's uncompressed  DSD (which is what I want) and has better native support for metadata (DFF can store metadata ID3 format in the DFF's internal data block, but the DFF file player must also be capable of recognizing ID3 chunks).

Have I got it right?

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, Nexus3 said:

@mindset How feasible would it be to implement the following arguments for better version information and source origin?

-v, --version			  : shows official version number
  -gr,--git-repo		  : displays the git repository from which the source package originated
  -gp,--git-patch-date		  : states the date of the latest patch comitted to the sources

Yes, it's most likely feasible.  Will try implementing something like that. 

13 minutes ago, Nexus3 said:

IT WORKS with the GUI !

Extraction (and conversion to DSF) rate was well over 2 MB/sec for a stereo only SACD.

Great.  For direct DSF generation from a disc, it should go as fast as ISO extraction (around 3MB/s) on a fast enough computer, which the original didn't.  Maybe there is a slow wifi bottleneck somewhere between your computer and the player?

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

I deliberately chose two RCA Living Stereo titles for this test as I have noted over time for some reason the discs in that series tend to rip slower than most others, I don't know why that is but it's a trend for sure from my experience.

Great to hear that the program worked well for you.  The reason that particular disc rips slower than other discs is probably that it has a smaller total playing time than other discs. The optical drive on the player seems to read at a constant angular velocity (constant RPM in other words) so its output data rate increases as the optical head moves away from the center of the disc.  When the total playing time is small, most of the time is spent near the center of the disc so the data rate is slower than other discs that use more outer region of the disc.

You can try ripping the same disc in stereo and multi channel.  You will see that the multi channel section rips faster (in MB/s) because it uses the outer section of the disc.  The last track of the multi channel section rips fastest.  For example, the first track of stereo rips around 2.1 MB/s while the last track in multi channel rips at around 3.4 MB/s for the disc I tried.

27 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

I get that the mac version of SACD_EXTRACT has to be compiled on the mac using it due to it not being developer-signed (at least that's my understanding, perhaps crudely explained), but what about providing a checksum to confirm that it had been properly compiled, would that be possible?

I am not sure about the signing part as I am not very familiar with the mac ecosystem. 

Checksum of a binary depends on many factors like the version of compiler, so it will not be useful for confirmation of proper compilation.  Since compilation of sacd_extract binary is not that difficult, those who care about the integrity of the binary should just get the source codes from github and compile them without any modification.  The source codes on github are rigidly version-controlled.

23 minutes ago, BluRay444 said:

I'm not sure if the resulting file is a stand-alone and I can uninstall the compilation tools or if the files in the final directory are dependencies.

I am pretty sure the compiled program has no dependency on items under the source tree, but not sure about dependency on the compilation tools  (I doubt it though).  If you care, you can try removing the source tree and the compilation tool to see what happens.

2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

'cmake' is not recognosed as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Where do I go from here?

I assume you are trying to compile sacd_extract@setmind on Windows.  If you are using Windows 10, I would recommend using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) which provides Linux environment on Windows.  Native Linux is fine, too. 

The compilation instruction is meant for Linux, and getting a tool chain lined up in Windows for a program like this is not very straight forward.

Just now, haggis999 said:

I've now enabled the "Windows Subsystem for Linux" optional feature of Windows 10. Do I also need to install one of the several varieties of Linux? If so, which one would you recommend? How do I then open the appropriate command line interface?

Great.  I believe you have to install one of the Linux distributions.  I use Ubuntu both on WSL and native.  You should get an icon to enter the command line interface after installing it.

4 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I gave that a try, but this prompted the following error messages.

E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/1/linux/linux-libc-dev_4.15.0-29.31_amd64.deb 404 Not found [IP:  .....]

E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Try this:

sudo apt update

This updates the pointer to package repositories to the latest one.

30 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

Running that update process, followed by sudo apt install cmake, resolved those problems. Thanks for that, but now I need some guidance on how to use cmake under Ubuntu (just running cmake without any parameters does nothing useful). 

EDIT:  I have also followed Richard's advice to run 'sudo apt-get upgrade'.

I believe you are trying to compile an executable for Windows.  In that case follow the instruction around the end of https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper/blob/master/readme.rst .  It is expected that cmake does nothing if you don't pass any parameter.   libiconv mentioned in the instruction is here https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libiconv/

EDIT: This one is a better instruction: https://github.com/setmind/sacd-ripper/wiki#windows-using-native-linux-or-windows-subsystem-for-linux

3 hours ago, haggis999 said:

In the hope that I am doing the right thing, I have proceeded with the above-mentioned instructions. I have reached the point where I run 'make' for libiconv. This has now completed, with several purple warning messages that have now scrolled off the Ubuntu screen, but there were also the following errors near the end. Note that haggis999 is my Ubuntu username.

libtool:  error: Could not determine the host path corresponding to

libtool:  error:   '/home/haggis999/libiconv-1.15/lib/.libs'

libtool:  error: Continuing, but uninstalled executables may not work. 

libtool:  error: Could not determine the host path corresponding to 

libtool:  error:   '/home/haggis999/libiconv-1.15/lib/.libs:/usr/x86_64-w64-ming32/lib:/usr/x86_64-w64-ming32/bin'

libtool:  error:  Continuing, but uninstalled executables may not work.

EDIT:  I did try continuing with the instructions, but the compilation of sacd_extract was terminated with a fatal error:

iconv.h: No such file or directory

I just tried uninstalling & installing Ubuntu on WSL, and went through the instruction to make sure I am not missing anything.  I got those errors from libtool, but just moved on and got sacd_extract.exe generated successfully.

That error with iconv.h makes me think that you might have skipped "sudo make install" for libiconv.

17 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

EDIT:  My first rip to both stereo and multi-channel paddingless DSFs took about 16 1/2 mins, which I'm sure is several minutes faster than with ISO2DSD. The stereo rips were completed before the multi-channel rips started, so the process is sequential rather than simultaneous.

Somebody submitted a fix for that to github recently, but the executable you got had been probably created before that.  If you had succeeded in compiling sacd_extract, you would have picked the latest which includes that fix.

6 hours ago, haggis999 said:

I have just re-ripped that same SACD using my previous ISO2DSD process. It took just under 22 mins to rip it in both stereo and multi-channel mode. That means SACDExtractGUI + sacd_extract 0.3.9 provided a worthwhile time saving of over 5 mins. If the later version of sacd_extract.exe can speed that up even more by running stereo and multi-channel rips in parallel then so much the better.

It won't be any faster.  You are most likely limited by the player side's optical drive.  Plus, stereo and multi-channel cannot be read in parallel.  They are recorded at two separate locations and there is only one optical head in the drive.