IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

55 minutes ago, Hep said:

Hi, I have just bought the Oppo UDP-205 that uses the Mediatek 8581 platform.  Does anybody know if the ripping process can be used on said machine. I have a huge collection of SACD  and would very much like your advice on how to convert them to Iso SACD. 

I thank you very much for this wonderful thread

Best regards

Henry 

No, it has to be a 10x series Oppo or one of the other supported players from the other companies.  The Oppo 20x series players won't work for this at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

^ A few other things to keep in mind:

1) I have no idea if it actually matters, but it's possible that different firmware revisions installed on the player may react slightly differently to needing to have the USB stick in before turning the player on versus plugging it in after the player has booted.

2) Having the player configured in quick start (almost instant boot from standby) versus energy efficient mode (slower boot from standby) will very likely have a non trivial impact on how long it takes to get to the point where the USB device is detected and the disc tray opens.

3) Regarding 103 versus 105 or D version versus non D version, none of those differences should matter for this SACD ripping procedure as the portion of the firmware that this makes use of is identical in all variants of the 10x series players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 3:58 PM, David_B said:

It's not that so much as the instructions regarding what to do. It's just a lot of computerese to me. For instance, "The download location should be a new folder in the root of your chosen drive" I don't know what is meant by the root of the drive. Where do you find that? Somewhere it said to write down the IP address of my Oppo player...how do you even see that anywhere? I know I sound awfully ignorant when it comes to computer stuff, but I guess I just am! Never had a course in it at all!

What might help is for you to do a youtube video which explains every step in pain-staking detail.

TIA

1) When someone refers to the "root" of a drive, they mean the top-most folder.  So if you're copying files to your C: drive, the root would be "C:\".

2) I'm not at home right now to give you the exact path to get there, but the Oppo's IP address can be found in the Oppo's setup menu in the Network section.  Should be something like 192.168.1.100 (the specific numbers may be different depending on your Internet provider and how your router happens to be configured).

If you ask questions as you go through the steps, we may be able to help you out, but stuff like this kind of has to assume a certain minimum level of computer skills.

Do you have any teenage kids around?  If so, one of them could probably get you up and running with the existing instructions...

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, B&WQuad said:

I ripped our entire SACD library (around 400) with an OPPO 105. Piece of cake (sort of). We are thinking of upgrading to an OPPO 205. Does anyone has experience ripping SACD's with the OPPO 205.

Although for now I am done SACD ripping, I want to be sure to able to rip again.

The Oppo 20x series players use a newer SOC that doesn't work with this SACD ripping process.  It's always possible that a similar trick will be discovered, but I wouldn't plan on it.  So hold onto your 105 (or sell it and get a 103) if you get a 205.

5 minutes ago, Gregavi said:

Hi, I have been following this thread for several months and I am finally ready to jump in and start ripping my SACDs. My first step is to purchase one of the players that are capable of the ripping process. My question is: how do I know if the player has the original firmware? From what I have read here and other forums, the player cannot have had a firmware update in order for the process to work. Is this true and how do I know before purchasing the player if it has updated firmware? Thanks in advance.

The Oppo players that are supported (the 10x series) will work just fine for this even with the most recent firmware installed.  I'm pretty sure the same is true for all the other players that work with this process.

• 1 month later...

Automatic IP is the same as Dynamic IP and Manual IP would be the same as Static IP.  Many routers have a feature were you can reserve an IP address for devices that are configured for Automatic / Dynamic IP addresses.  That's a nice feature because you can put all devices in Dynamic IP mode and manage all addresses in one place.  Even if you have a few devices that only support static IP's, you can configure those manually and just make sure you don't reuse the same address for another device on the router.  Don't ask me how to configure YOUR router for this as they all handle the configuration differently. :)

7 minutes ago, Barondla said:

Missed that in the instructions. Since I got the IP address while the Oppo was hooked to the router via wireless, will that be the same when wired? Not wanting to move a tv into the router room unless needed. Already moved the Oppo and laptop there. 6' cables are a pain. Would need 75' cables to reach the listening room where the Oppo is normally located.

Setting Oppo to manual while it is in the audio room.

Thanks. 

No, the wired and wireless network connections are tied to different MAC addresses and therefore different IP addresses will likely get assigned.  Of course, if you stick with dynamic IP addresses, it's potentially a moving target anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GT in OZ said:

Apologies if these are dumb questions (working my way through 109 pages defeated me after about 10 pages).

I have an Oppo 103, which is hard wired into my network at 192.168.1.21, and which I can successfully ping from a command line prompt on my Windows 10 computer. I've turned off autoplay and autoresume, as suggested.

I downloaded files from dropbox account, as described, and followed instructions as best I could (see below). I installed latest Java, as iso2dsd wouldn't run without it.

I've tried three different ways of ripping with a number of different commercially purchased (ie 'real') SACDs - unsuccessfully every time. 

1. Created clean USB with an 'AutoScript' folder containing three files:

AutoScript (23/04/2015, 1Kb);

AutoScript.TSS (23/04/2015, 1Kb); and 

sacd_extract (18/02/2015, 345Kb).

2. Created Folder 0SACD on D:\ drive, which has 1Tb free space. Placed two files in it:

sacd.cmd (shows as today, 1Kb); and

sacd_extract.exe (shows as today, 951Kb).

3. Edited sacd.cmd in Notepad to read "sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.21:2002 -P -I"

4. Turn on Oppo, insert USB stick, wait until drawer opens, insert SACD, close drawer, wait until it shows SACD on screen. [BTW, have tried leaving both USB stick in and taking it out before pushing close.]

5. Go back to Computer

VERSION 1

A. Right click sacd.cmd, 'Run as adminstrator'

B. UAC asks if I really want to do it, I say yes, a window momentarily opens and closes again. 

C. Nada

VERSION 2

A. Right click sacd_extract.exe, 'Run as administrator'

B. UAC yes.

C. Window temporarily opens and closes.

D. Nada

The setup on the player side sounds fine, given that the drawer is opening.

On the PC side, open up a command prompt (click the start button in the bottom left, type "cmd.exe" without the quotes and run that) and run sacd.cmd within the command prompt, rather than running it directly.  There's probably no need to run it as administrator for this.  This will allow it to display any error messages rather than the window closing immediately.  It could be something as trivial as Windows Firewall (or other 3rd party firewall software) blocking communication with the Oppo on the required port.

My advice is to not spend any time trying to get the Java UI working until you get sacd_extract working from a command line.  I'm pretty sure iso2dsd actually uses sacd_extract to communicate with the Oppo, so the Java part of it just introduces additional variables into the equation.

4 hours ago, mutant_matt said:

If you can telnet to the player using this test, then the problem is at your PC end, if you cannot telnet to the player, then the problem is with the USB stick or the files (or the content thereof), on the USB stick.

Actually, it could still be a problem on the PC end, such as aggressively configured firewall software that's blocking the connection.

• 3 weeks later...

While his post was excellent, the specifics in @Dick Darlington's post apply primarily to the Sony player, not the Oppo.  There may be some useful takeaways there, just don't expect to follow those steps to the letter with an Oppo and expect success; if nothing else the script files are slightly different.

While I agree that ripping to ISO makes more sense than converting to individual DSF files, it should have no impact on whatever the fundamental problem @HenkNZ is having getting the computer and the Oppo to talk with each other.

If the disc drawer opens with the USB stick inserted, then setup on the Oppo side is most likely good and the issue is probably going to turn out to network configuration (the player and computer on different subnets, for example) or computer configuration (a software firewall blocking a port that needs to be open, for example).  I'm not a Mac guy, so I really have nothing to offer in terms of specific suggestions there.  Is there a Windows PC or laptop available that could be used for testing purposes to see if you can rip to that?  If so, that could help isolate the problem to the Mac or the home network.  What's the IP address of the PC? If it isn't 192.168.1.xxx, then that might be the problem as the Oppo probably needs to be on the same subnet as the computer.

Oppo BDP-103, BDP-103D, BDP-105, and BDP-105D are all interchangeable for this task, so having a BDP-103D definitely isn't the problem.

8 hours ago, HenkNZ said:

Ok, so have also checked my Oppo.  It is 103D version.  I do not know if it has the same chipset as the 103.  My unit is in firmware 83-1226.  This may also be an issue.

As I wrote in the post immediately before yours, the BDP-103D is fine.  ALL of the BDP-10x players (with and without the "D" suffix) use the same MediaTek SOC, which is what matters for this SACD ripping trick.  Having a BDP-103D definitely is not a problem - I've been using a BDP-105D for ripping, which is a BDP-103D with better analog audio capabilities.  The firmware version also is not an issue.

One thing I'm not sure I've seen mentioned in your posts: did you turn auto play OFF on the Oppo?  If not, that could be the problem.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, captainbrent said:

I guess this is too late to be an April fools joke! Wow, what a major bummer!!!

For sure.  I've been involved in their beta testing program since the start of BDP-9x development.  I can't share much in the way of details (NDA's still apply), but what an AMAZING company to work with.  When I heard the news last evening shortly before it was posted publicly, it was like I had just lost a favorite family member.

7 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

I'd guess thats now even ever more extremely unlikely to change, given recent developments, seems far fetched that SACD ripping will ever be blocked via firmware on the OPPO BDP-10x players.

Agreed.  Even before the announcement the other day I felt that it was extremely unlikely that a future firmware update for the BDP-10x players would block this capability.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SeeMoreDigital said:

Personally... I'm already doing this. I'm just interested to know if it's "technically" possible to extract data from other types of discs too?!

It may be technically possible, but since there are simple options for doing this on a regular computer already, it's not worth spending the time on trying to figure it out.  I'd also rather put the wear and tear of ripping media on a cheap drive that's easy to replace in my PC.

• 1 month later...

The firmware version doesn't matter in the Oppo players as the SACD ripping functionality still works with the latest firmware version, which would be the same version number for the BDP-103 and BDP-105, as well as the Darbee variants which append a "D" to the model name.  There's definitely no reason to list different firmware versions for them.

4 minutes ago, Lillapepe said:

Question........can I rip my Blu Rays using the same software (method) or do I have to use a different one?

Thank you in advance

It would need to be different and there's no good reason to use a Bluray player for this purpose.  Get a Bluray drive for your PC and then use MakeMKV, AnyDVD HD, or one of the other options to rip your Blurays.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bbosler said:

Mikey, thank you for pointing out that I only had to scroll through the first 132 pages to find the answer and not the entire 135.  Even if it is only 3 pages back it didn't seem to make much sense to start at the end and go backwards. That said, I did go through a bunch of it and found many conflicting posts about how to go about doing this with various methods, numerous caveats about different machines, various places to find files, as well as posts telling me what had been posted earlier was incorrect and they had another way to do it. At that point I asked for help which was graciously provided. That was greatly appreciated. Getting scolded for asking for that help serves no useful purpose. I also disagree with your assertion that it is not a daunting task. Given that there are now 135 pages of posts with people continuing  to struggle clearly points out that it is not a simple matter. Another HUGE thanks to the people who offered constructive advice.

It's usually considered a good idea to read the first post (especially), the first few pages and the last several pages of a thread BEFORE asking questions.  A non-trivial part of the reason there are 135 pages in this thread is the simple fact that a lot of people find it easier to post what turns out to be a repetitive question than to put the effort into reading/searching before posting.