IGNORED

Recommend me a an All-in-one Amp: For Tidal/Spotify - driving Kef LS50 - up to $5000

Looking for an all in one system to drive my LS50s. Budget is $5000 max, would like to keep it lower.

Important features are:

- Excellent control app (from android and iPAD)

- SQ of course

- Streaming Tidal etc

- One box design

Thanks

What about a Peachtree Nova? There will be an optional wifi module available for streaming services controllable with IOS, etc. and it can be used with an iOS device wired.

I am UK based, I can get the Nova 220SE at about $400 less tha the newer 150. What you think of each of these?

I have not personally heard either one. But the new 150/300 represent an incredible all-in-one solution to my mind. They are well-designed, have beautiful industrial design and have some future-proofing in-built with modular add-on capacity. If you desire a simple system this appears to be a functionaly similar to the classic Linn Magik, which I always liked. With your budget it seems like a good possibilty, but the pound sterling isn't going to help you at the moment. I have recommended this unit to several people lately, as it represents a good value and includes more functionality than most comparative products, particularly the addition of a phono preamp. It also is really beautiful kit.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

Never buy an old computer. Old analog, maybe... but not old computers. The benefits of newer DACs are immediately evident when heard. Also in the mix should be the excellent but expensive NAD offerings.

Those have high build quality, potent amplification (necessary for the LS50) and solid support after the sale.

Sent from my HP 10 G2 Tablet using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. These are class D right? That's my only worry, although difficult to judge without hearing..

Today's Class D amplifiers are quite good. The upmarket NAD c390dd uses the same 'front end' as the M51 coupled to the excellent NCore power amp stage. Spendy, but VERY good.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Used Devialet. Lots of Devialet owners upgrade to more expensive models, so the 120 and the 200 are commonly sold as used, including by dealers. Often sold with remaining warranty.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just have, thanks. What I have taken from it is that most people say that they will need a lot of wattage, less say that you will get away with 40/50 watts.

You will never get away with a 40-50 watt amp/dac and have the Kef's sound their best . Trust me I tried . They need plenty of power to sound their best .

Naim SuperUniti (new or second hand).

Especially considering all (at least most) the options people mention will require a computer or streamer device added.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Naim SuperUniti (new or second hand).

Especially considering all (at least most) the options people mention will require a computer or streamer device added.

Got a Mac mini today ( got the slower cpu / 4 gb ram / 500gb version - hope I can make up for it by adding external hdd)! This might change things. I like the look of the Peachtree nova 150 now.....

You will never get away with a 40-50 watt amp/dac and have the Kef's sound their best . Trust me I tried . They need plenty of power to sound their best .

Incidentally, are you in a country where the Marantz HD-AMP1 has been released ? New Zealand importer's order of it haven't landed, thus I can't go to a dealer to try it with a pair of LS50 myself.

Simply, I recall a commentator on Andrew Everard's review :

« I mean, the sound of the HD-AMP1 is MUCH better than the PM8005.

Now I could test it with a pair of KEF LS50 against an Arcam A49 [8Ω 200Wpc] – you wont believe, but i prefere the HD-AMP1 from marantz again !

Regards from Germay,

Ul »

11.2 MHz DSD&384 kHz 32 bit PCM (¥140,000) HD-AMP1 « 35Wpc into 8ohms, 70Wpc into 4ohms » uses Hypex UcD :

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Incidentally' date=' are you in a country where the Marantz HD-AMP1 has been released ? New Zealand importer's order of it haven't landed, thus I can't go to a dealer to try it with a pair of LS50 myself.

Simply, I recall a commentator on Andrew Everard's review :

« I mean, the sound of the HD-AMP1 is MUCH better than the PM8005.

Now I could test it with a pair of KEF LS50 against an Arcam A49 [8Ω 200Wpc] – you wont believe, but i prefere the HD-AMP1 from marantz again !

Regards from Germay,

Ul »

11.2 MHz DSD&384 kHz 32 bit PCM (¥140,000) HD-AMP1 « 35Wpc into 8ohms, 70Wpc into 4ohms » uses Hypex UcD :

I had that dac amp . It's a very nice dac but not enough juice so I sold it .

I am now using a Rogue Cronod Magnum II , which is a 100 watt tube amp .

It is the best fit I have found for the LS50 . Certainly better than a Primaluna Prologue Premium ,which I also have.

I really discourage anybody from getting an all-in-one these days. The computer part will fail in a few years but a decent amp will last 20+. Really, separate those. Get a little, powerful amp if necessary.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Monday, am busy with...

Let's talk about watts next time.

What are your reference music for determining « enough juice » ?

Myself, when I do test (for example when the HD-AMP1 become available at my local dealers), among my most demanding favourites that I often return listening to are, specifically :

Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral on SACD

PJ Harvey's On Tour : Please Leave Quietly DVD (LPCM audio)

Ani DiFranco's Living in Clip (double) Concert CD

I had that dac amp . It's a very nice dac but not enough juice so I sold it .

I am now using a Rogue Cronod Magnum II , which is a 100 watt tube amp .

It is the best fit I have found for the LS50 . Certainly better than a Primaluna Prologue Premium ,which I also have.

«

an accurate picture

Monday' date=' am busy with...[/font']

Let's talk about watts next time.

What are your reference music for determining « enough juice » ?

Myself, when I do test (for example when the HD-AMP1 become available at my local dealers), among my most demanding favourites that I often return listening to are, specifically :

Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral on SACD

PJ Harvey's On Tour : Please Leave Quietly DVD (LPCM audio)

Ani DiFranco's Living in Clip (double) Concert CD

I'll listen to anything from Tool to Patricia Barber . Add in Miles Davis,

Steely Dan , the Who to Michael Hedges .

I listen to a very wide range of music . Throw in Digable Plqnets and Massive Attack

Great. Did you see the following, KEF presenting Blade 2, next step for you ?

A quick couple of links' date=' first (11m16s) :[/font']

Secondly, Johan Coorg « KEF’s head of brand development » hosted Stereophile's Three Days in England with KEF

And thoughts I'd like say about watts are tied to articles I've filed away... thankfully we're in no hurry

«

an accurate picture

Used Devialet. Lots of Devialet owners upgrade to more expensive models, so the 120 and the 200 are commonly sold as used, including by dealers. Often sold with remaining warranty.

+1, for your purposes, nothing will outperform a Devialet. Brilliant gear.

JC