IGNORED

The OCD Audiophile

Interesting post from Robert G. Dean Ph.D., C.Hth. about diagnosed medical conditions for OCD with particular reference to audio "appreciation". According to the doctor, the condition is definable as a mental disease, so any comments deriding, degrading or making fun of this condition will be removed, as this is disrespectful.

Reading through this, there are aspects that I can relate to, but haven't followed through on an ongoing basis.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Audiophile and OCD is something of a tautology. I thought everyone knew that.

Have to be careful with a diagnosis of OCD however.

I for years washed my hands around 60 times per day and with bleach some of those times. And it was in no way OCD though giving just that info I bet most doctors would lean toward an OCD diagnosis.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It was pretty funny, but I think he dragged it out a little bit too much.

My wife who worked with live HIV didn't OCD wash her hands like that, but her boss (who never set foot in the containment facility) did.

Someone put ninhydrin in the soap.

It was pretty funny, but I think he dragged it out a little bit too much.

My wife who worked with live HIV didn't OCD wash her hands like that, but her boss (who never set foot in the containment facility) did.

Someone put ninhydrin in the soap.

Well Prince just passed, but I guess the boss had purple hands rather than purple rain?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I for years washed my hands around 60 times per day and with bleach some of those times. And it was in no way OCD

Were you a Proctologist ? (grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

[quote=esldude;535300

I for years washed my hands around 60 times per day and with bleach some of those times. And it was in no way OCD though giving just that info I bet most doctors would lean toward an OCD diagnosis.

I am not a doctor, and 60 times a day with soap or bleach seems like an obsessive behavior. Our skin reacts to the content stripping of natural oils also.

My audio OCD ended decades ago. Used to hoard components. Would not give a second thought to buying a 3 - 10K used stereo component. Usually several other units that had the same function. Thought normal to have four preamps, three turntables, 10 tuners, 10 amps, and five sets of speakers.

Then I would shop around to save 10.00 on a refrigerator or furniture. Then take my new saving and spend 300.00 on vacuum tubes.

My wife helped cure this. She would monitor my sales and then go spend the money. After a few years most of the excess was gone.

The stuff still accumulates but at a much slower rate. And once or twice a year unused stuff goes up on Audiogon or EBay to hopefully disappear.

There are worse compulsions than audio.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Were you a Proctologist ? (grin)

Worse.