IGNORED

AMP vs DAC ...further exploration

The INT uses a TI PCM5201A supporting 384 kHz PCM and DSD128. I don't know if it does native DSD up to DSD256.

I really want to get one of those, but ... I'm going to have to explain to SWMBO why I'm getting like 16 of the passdiy vfet amps ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

so you were serious? What company are you talking about that will ship you several dacs at once to try? I have never heard of any such thing????

Go to thecableco.com.

They specialize in lending out demo components, cables and accessories. One of the most reputable stores in all of high end. I've been using them for many years.

• 5 months later...
The INT uses a TI PCM5201A supporting 384 kHz PCM and DSD128. I don't know if it does native DSD up to DSD256.

Just saw this thread while looking up the INT DAC chip on Google.

The INT uses a TI PCM5102A which does PCM 32bit/384KHz. The INT accepts DSD 128 via DoP but converts it to PCM. It has to be one of the better integrated amps out there. The integration as a package offers some phenomenal sound quality and at it's price has to be one of the best deals in audio.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

The DAC chip, so what if 11.2 MHz DSD&384 kHz 32 bit PCM (¥140,000) HD-AMP1 that I'm interested uses a ESS ES9010KM2 ?

l_hm_ma02.jpg

Well, before I can audition it, I researched for its engineer's insightspart of his reasoning, in original Japanese :

« 理由はいくつかあります。最上位の「ES9018」はマルチチャンネル対応のDACですが、9010K2Mは2チャンネルDACです。他のオーディオメーカーを見渡すと、ESSのマルチチャンネル対応DACをあえてパラレルでステレオ使用する例がありますが、マランツはDACをパラレルで使うことをあまり好みません。なぜなら、DACをパラレルで使うと碌な音がしないというのが、マランツが今までの経験から導き出した答えだからです。

2.jpg

DACをパラレルで使えば、スペック上はS/Nで有利になります。インピーダンスも下がります。しかし、完璧な同期を取ることがまずできないので、必ず音が滲むのです。もう少し丁寧に申し上げましょう。エネルギーや密度でリアリティーを感じる方々は、パラレルにする数を増やしていくと音が濃くなっていくと感じられるようです。マランツは空間再現や定位の正確さを精緻に追求しているので、DACをパラレルで使うと「音が滲む」印象になります。もちろんSA-11S3などではDAC2基によるパラレル使用もテストしましたが、結果は想像通りのものでした。密度やエネルギー感で有利なことは確かですので、どちらをとるかの問題だとは思いますが。»

In short, it's not just about the DAC chip ; what's paramount is how it's been applied—do you like how that product performs

And, everyone, try not to buy any Hi-Fi without having first listening...

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Interesting thread. The 2 to 1 price for amp vs. DAC/preamp makes sense. I'm looking at the amps from classdaudio.com as a bargain bang for the buck that makes the ration more one to one for me.

mmm I'd say the opposite, when it comes to amps I would spend twice as much on the Preamp as on the power amp, it's the pre that reveals the magic in the music but then I'm an analog guy mainly and I'm referring to pre/pwr combos in the $5000 plus range.