IGNORED

GoGo Penguin: Man Made Object (24/44)

HDTracks had different prices listed for the standard and bonus albums which makes me wonder if Qobuz simply made a mistake in pricing.

Qobuz sometimes has this problem that their pricing is occasionally a bit weird. Well, if it is in favor of the customer like here we're not going to complain.

Sigh, Blue Note is similar to Mobile fidelity, they record in 96 and 192 masters, but give us the lower resolution files. For the Pedants, Mofi re-master now in DSD256, OK. There's plusses and minuses for both resolutions, the majority of physical sales is still CD, mastering to 44.1kHz is completed for that reason my guess. I take it the groovy engineers are responsible for the dynamic range. Blue note release a few high res albums, but not this one, the excellent Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage". People's stupidity is so obvious at times, the small effort to produce a 96/24 is miniscule compared to the work to process for vinyl, surely.

"Two years ago, we decided to begin remastering the jewels of the Blue Note catalog in hi-def resolutions of 96k and 192k. In order to develop a guiding artistic philosophy for this delicate endeavor, we donned our lab coats, ran dozens of sonic experiments and carefully referenced every generation of our reissues. Ultimately, we decided that our goal would be to protect the original intentions of the artists, producers and engineers who made these records and that, in the case of pre-digital-era albums, these intentions were best represented by the sound and feel of their first-edition vinyl releases. Working with a team of dedicated and groovy engineers, we found a sound that both captured the feel of the original records while maintaining the depth and transparency of the master tapes... the new remasters are really cool!"

—Don Was, President, Blue Note Records

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Sigh, Blue Note is similar to Mobile fidelity, they record in 96 and 192 masters, but give us the lower resolution files. For the Pedants, Mofi re-master now in DSD256, OK. There's plusses and minuses for both resolutions, the majority of physical sales is still CD, mastering to 44.1kHz is completed for that reason my guess. I take it the groovy engineers are responsible for the dynamic range. Blue note release a few high res albums, but not this one, the excellent Herbie Hancock "Maiden Voyage". People's stupidity is so obvious at times, the small effort to produce a 96/24 is miniscule compared to the work to process for vinyl, surely.

"Two years ago, we decided to begin remastering the jewels of the Blue Note catalog in hi-def resolutions of 96k and 192k. In order to develop a guiding artistic philosophy for this delicate endeavor, we donned our lab coats, ran dozens of sonic experiments and carefully referenced every generation of our reissues. Ultimately, we decided that our goal would be to protect the original intentions of the artists, producers and engineers who made these records and that, in the case of pre-digital-era albums, these intentions were best represented by the sound and feel of their first-edition vinyl releases. Working with a team of dedicated and groovy engineers, we found a sound that both captured the feel of the original records while maintaining the depth and transparency of the master tapes... the new remasters are really cool!"

—Don Was, President, Blue Note Records

My understanding is that they relate differently to old analog catalog material than they do to new recordings, especially in terms of dynamic range.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yes, the reissue campaign has nothing to do with new productions.

The reissues were remastered at a few studios by a few different engineers (Yoshida, Grundman, and some by Van Gelder or McMaster), resulting in a certain technical coherence. BTW, all the Van Gelder remasters I've seen that are offered as hi-rez downloads are available in 24/44 only, which could mean the RVG CD remasters were done in that resolution

The new productions come from studios chosen by the artists or producers. It's not as in the previous century, when the bands were coming to the label studio to record, resulting in similar recording sound. For the new recordings, Blue Note is just a brand and no longer a sound.

Many current pop/rock engineers seem to master in 24/44, probably because hi-rez is not a significant market, and this applies to some jazz productions as well.

Claude

• 2 months later...

Just saw them live yesterday, and although they brought their own sound engineer to the venue, they sounded pretty much as compressed as the album. So I guess it is truly an artistic choice.

https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/05/09/gogo-penguin-live-at-moods-zurich-july-8-2016-a-review/

In any case, they really are a lot of fun live!

• 6 months later...